Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Wedge and bounce opinions

fullio21fullio21 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Hey, All. Noob here when it comes to wedges, so any input is welcome. I've decided it's time to replace my wedges (Ping Tour-W 52/12 and 56/10 both black dot) and upon doing some research, I feel like I've opened a can of worms with regard to bounce.

I am looking to go with a 50 and 54 degree set up because there's too much of a gap between my W and 52 degree. I am very much a picker and rarely make a divot. Also, I'm a relatively fairweather golfer and won't play in the rain if I can help it. Lastly, I primarily use my 52 for 100 yards and in as well as around the green, unless I don't have much green to work with. In that case, I'll break out the 56 as well as for sand shots.

So with that, any ideas with regard to bounce? Should I stick with the 12 for my 50 and 10 with my 54?

Much appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

You'll be fine with lower bounce in your GW for sure being a picker/fair weather golfer. Mid bounce in SW will be fine unless you have deep/fluffy sand and very thick rough around the greens. Next rabbit hole will be grinds, but don't over think that.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Taylormade R510 TP 9.5* w/ Di6X (black)
    Woods - Taylormade V-Steel 3/5 w/ 80X Kai'Li
    Hybrid - Adams Pro VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Irons - Taylormade 300 Forged 4-PW w/ Rifle 6.0
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 53/58 w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

• jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d stick with the 56° and just bump up the gap to 50°. No need to change the trajectory & spin around the green that you’re used to. Flopping a 54° short sided or out of a steep bunker...rarely ends well for recreational golfers like us. If you’re dead set on 4° gaps, go 50-54 add a 58° for those terminal situations.

If you’re going back to Ping, the Glide 2.0 Stealth is a great choice. Go with the standard sole (SS), both 50 & 56 have 12° bounce; unless you have a strong determination that the ES or WS soles are better for the specific shots you like to play. Other wedge brands impart more spin, but Ping wins on consistency.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Your wedges are fine all around wedges. Don’t overthink it. Coming from someone who has dedicated a lot of time and study to all things short game extremes rarely work for long. Unless you have extreme tendencies or play in extreme conditions.

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • ethan380ethan380 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

Grinds are hard to determine since they're so personal. But the recommendations for bounces sound about right.

• fullio21fullio21 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thanks for everybody's insight and opinion. It's such a can of worms and it's not like I've ever been accused of over-thinking things. So, this has been very helpful and I'll certainly look into the newer Pings.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file