Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

pin position in unplayable spot on green

2»

Comments

• golfwbgolfwb Members Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think its an issue of who is cutting the holes. Either the assistant pro needs to put a paint dot on the night before or the hole cutter needs to know that golf and putt-putt are not the same. There may be no "rules" to dictate where a hole can be cut but anyone who plays can tell you where proper pin locations should be.
    To answer the op's question, you just do your best and try not to get frustrated.

Ping G400 Max Evenflow Black 65 6.5
    TM M1 3hl 17* AD-DJ 7X
    TM UDI 18* Attis International Proto MK 85X
    Titleist 712U 22* Nippon Modus 3 120S
    Srixon 745 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
    Titleist SM5 50,54,59 S200
    TM Rossa Daytona (2007)
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I had seen similar pin placement at some funky golf course, but never, never in a tournament.
    Go play at a golf course which won't do tricks like these kind for a tournament,
    The pin placement supposed to be tougher than usual but, it's suppoded to be "fair".
    not to turn the green into a three ring circus.

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hit your approach for an uphill putt is the best solution for a 1 putt..... if you miss oh well so will most everyone else.... unfortunately someone will sink that 1 putt and everyone else will get hosed lol

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • chickwebbchickwebb Members Posts: 49 ✭✭

I feel the OP's pain. My home course (Seascape GC, Aptos CA) has several greens (1, 6, 7, 17) with severe back-to-front downslopes that can get very unfair when they're (too) fast. Think, six footer from above the hole that you literally just touch to get moving and it ends up 15 ft past the hole, or putting a 15 footer with your back to the hole 'cuz it breaks 6 feet, or running a putt uphill to the cup only to have it stop and reverse, forcing you to move out of the way as it rolls back past your original spot.

To wit, in the first round of the CC the other day I hit a shot out of the sand on 17 that cozied up to about a foot under the hole. Thought for sure I'd be able to extend the match to 18, where I had a good chance of making a two-putt birdie (or better) to get back to square. I bent down to pick up the rake and when I straightened up the ball had started rolling again. It ended up 15 feet away. So much for extending the match... But, the course is pretty short and otherwise straightforward, so it's about the only thing that keeps us honest. It can be infuriating, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file