Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2019 USGA Mid Am

JakeW13JakeW13 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

I didn't see a general discussion thread on this anywhere, so apologies if one exists, but is anyone playing in or following someone who's playing at this years Mid Am? I have been fortunate enough to play with Arthur Zelmati, one of the better golfers in Massachusetts, who won his qualifier back in June (https://www.massgolf.org/news/19amqual2/), so I'll be following him as the tournament kicks off this Saturday.

Does anyone know if there is any televised or streaming coverage of this championship?

Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 9 Degrees Flat setting, Weight Neutral, Accra TZ5 65 M5
FW: Titleist TS2 3W, 15 Degrees, Graphite Design Tour AD Blue 75 X
3 Iron: Taylormade P790s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105S
4-PW: Ping Blueprint, Red Dot Power Spec, DG 120 S300
50: Cleveland RTX DG S400
54&60: Cleveland CBX KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 34"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x (2019)

Comments

• TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's listed on the Fox site as one of the championships they will cover but I don't see any TV networks listed. Not sure if this means online coverage only or what.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0
  • forecast6236forecast6236 Members Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭

Played last years Colorado Am with one of the guys locally who qualified in. Have played with a second in the field as well. I’m not sure about tv coverage. Colorado Golf Club is 10 mins down the road so I’ll probably stop by.

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JakeW13 said:
    I didn't see a general discussion thread on this anywhere, so apologies if one exists, but is anyone playing in or following someone who's playing at this years Mid Am? I have been fortunate enough to play with Arthur Zelmati, one of the better golfers in Massachusetts, who won his qualifier back in June (https://www.massgolf.org/news/19amqual2/), so I'll be following him as the tournament kicks off this Saturday.

Does anyone know if there is any televised or streaming coverage of this championship?

Always interested in how Nathan Smith plays in the Mid Amateur. He's a 4 time winner of the USGA Mid Amateur. Also has another amateur USGA team (four ball) win under his belt.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Our own @ThunderBuzzworth made the field.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is such a great event. I’ve been to a couple of them and they rank as some of the most satisfying golf-gallery-ing I’ve ever been part of. The one time I got to see Buddy Marucci play in a championship event was the mid-am at the magnificent Milwaukee Country Club.

The fact that Colorado Golf Club was awarded this event makes me want to learn much more about it.

Anyone with an opportunity to attend should absolutely do so.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:
    I'm playing. Had my practice round at CommonGround today, Colorado GC tomorrow.

Good luck boss ..!

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know there's a member here that made to Mid-Am out of STL qualifier. A local friend that I play with often that qualified last year but missed this year's Mid-Am by couple shots.

My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    Callaway Epic Flash 9.0 PX Smoke 6.0
    TM Aeroburner TP fw 15*, hybrids 19* & 22*
    MP-18 MMC 4-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG2 Black 52.09 & 58.11 w/Black Modus 115 Wedge
    ancient Odyssey 2Ball Long putter at 44"

• blairdblaird Members Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got in in 2014, played a State Team event, and a couple 4 balls. USGA tournaments are awesome and the courses are incredible. Good luck to any WRXer that made it thru!!

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be watching Darin Goldstein. Back in January of 2018 we got together and I discussed stats and strategy with him. He caught on really quickly and is a fun guy to be around.

RH

• ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 14, 2019 5:28am #13

Both practice rounds complete and I think I hit the ball nearly as good as I could have for the 2 days. Putting will be a huge challenge as getting it close on these greens seems to be a chore. Greens at CGC we’re somewhat crusty and unusually firm yesterday. My first hole of the day - Hole #10 at CGC I hit a nipped 80 yard 60* wedge that landed on the front and actually released over the green. Never played a course with greens like that.. Both courses greens have massive slope to them and the ball seems to want to keep trickling so I’m betting there will be a lot of 6 footers for par depending on hole locations

Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I'll be tracking some of our locals that made it. Ben Warnquist is playing really well this year, and had a good morning. Super talented.

One year I'm gonna make this. Keep coming close. Haven't made it beyond qualifying in a USGA since the Junior years and years ago.

Good luck to all the golfwrxers that made it.

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have the count of reinstated pros? Is the Scott Fawcett that won his quali by 5 the same one as the decade Scott Fawcett?

• DivdevilDivdevil Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

Would love to hear a report of what clubs these guys are gaming. Particularly if someone sees anything surprising like GI irons, older drivers, etc.

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good playing @ThunderBuzzworth

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you under the impression that these guys are a bunch of 9 handicaps that last played in 2007?

@Divdevil said:
    Would love to hear a report of what clubs these guys are gaming. Particularly if someone sees anything surprising like GI irons, older drivers, etc.

• DivdevilDivdevil Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    Are you under the impression that these guys are a bunch of 9 handicaps that last played in 2007?

@Divdevil said:

Um, no?

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,794 ClubWRX

@ThunderBuzzworth said:
    -1 (69) first round at CommonGround today. I’m happy with it however I had a horseshoe lipout on my last hole from 4 feet for birdie and made par on a par 5 that I was 173 yards dead center of the fairway. Definitely left a few out there but overall I can’t complain at all. Going to try and get off to a quick start tomorrow and see what happens.

Well done TB. Solid start.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,199 ClubWRX

@Bluefan75 said:
    Does anyone have the count of reinstated pros? Is the Scott Fawcett that won his quali by 5 the same one as the decade Scott Fawcett?

Yes. That's him. Good round from him today considering his crazy travel schedule this week and not playing any practice rounds.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,199 ClubWRX

I shot 74 today at CGC. Solid round overall. Was E going into the 18th and pulled my tee shot left into some bushes. Never found it and ended up making double to shoot +2. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

Tough first round for local guy Nathan Smith (+3, 74). Currently T104. Needs a great 2nd round to get to match play. Good luck to WRX own @ThunderBuzzworth and @jll62! Hope you both make it to match play.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping Tyler Gulliksen can get through. Gonna be close

edited Sep 16, 2019 2:37am #26

There is an 18 man playoff tomorrow morning for the final 6 match play spots. How did @ThunderBuzzworth and @jll62 fare? Nathan Smith made it into match play. Go Nathan.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/u-s--mid-amateur.html#!scoring

@jll62 said:

@grm24 said:
    There is an 18 man playoff tomorrow morning for the final 6 match play spots. How did @ThunderBuzzworth and @jll62 fare? Nathan Smith made it into match play. Go Nathan.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/u-s--mid-amateur.html#!scoring

I birdied my final 3 holes of the day to sneak into the playoff at +5. I'm in the first threesome off at 7 AM.

Congrats on a strong finish and good luck in the playoff.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:
    I got knocked out on the fifth playoff hole this morning. Had a 7 footer for birdie on the fourth hole to claim the final spot, but hit the low edge and stayed out. Oh well. USGA events are always special and this was a great week.

From an equipment perspective, I got to spend some time chatting with the guys who were onsite collecting data for the Darrell Survey. That was a treat. To answer someone from earlier, there weren’t many unique old clubs in play from what I saw or heard about. For the most part, this isn’t an event with a bunch of grizzled veterans playing old clubs. Most drivers are last couple of years models. Irons are 3-4 year models. One of the Darrell guys called my RSi TP old, if that’s any indication.

One exception: My buddy was the only guy in the field with an SLDR.

congrats on just getting there man. well played.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file