Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Counterbalance in F9 head

KwheatKwheat Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited Sep 9, 2019 5:41pm in WRX Club Techs #1

Hi all,
I'm a bit confused on this one, I've done the searches but can't get a definite answer. Here's the issue: F9 head with a 70stiff pro white. Love the shaft, but I've had to change the weights to 18/2 and still add lead tape so I can feel the head during transition, but now the static weight is through the roof.

Would a counterbalanced 60 class (PO, rogue white, or aldila copper) help with this problem? Or should I just get a pro white in 60 and call it a day?

I like CB shaft results so I'm trying to figure out if I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comments

• Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

CB shaft will make the head feel lighter, causing the need for even MORE weight in the head. What do you mean by "through the roof"? My drivers weigh in around 330-340 at D6 SW. Is swinging the club wearing you out so you can't finish your round?

BT

Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kwheat said:
    Love the shaft, but I've had to change the weights to 18/2 and still add lead tape so I can feel the head during transition, but now the static weight is through the roof.

Are you adding head weight just to get a particular swing weight value?
    or are you adding head weight based on how the club feels during a swing - while actually hitting balls?

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

What swing weights are you targeting? A pro white isnt counterbalanced really, and shouldnt need added weight to the head unless you play less than standard. If you go counterbalanced you will need more weight in the head like stated.

• KwheatKwheat Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 4:52pm #5

It's all feel based for me, I don't have a swing weight tool to measure it. I used to play an elements chrome 6F5T (68 grams uncut) and it was a bit more tip heavy by design, so going to the PW increased static weight, but I lost the head feel.

And by "through the roof" I mean the thing just feels heavy to swing, like it's actually slowing me down too much through my transition to the point where I feel like I have to pull down on the handle (which obviously I don't want) just to get the thing going. I've got pretty smooth transition but I feel like the weight is getting me steep- hitting a lot of higher balloon balls now that I never did with my old club.

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

@Kwheat said:
    It's all feel based for me, I don't have a swing weight tool to measure it. I used to play an elements chrome 6F5T (68 grams uncut) and it was a bit more tip heavy by design, so going to the PW increased static weight, but I lost the head feel.

And by "through the roof" I mean the thing just feels heavy to swing, like it's actually slowing me down too much through my transition to the point where I feel like I have to pull down on the handle (which obviously I don't want) just to get the thing going. I've got pretty smooth transition but I feel like the weight is getting me steep- hitting a lot of higher balloon balls now that I never did with my old club.

Oh no i dont doubt its really heavy, but a stock TW in that head at standard length should come out d2-4 depending on grip. With all that extra weight, your likely close to E. A midsize grip can add alot of extra static weight as well. Id look at the 60 gram option, but i dont think counterbalanced is your solution.

• KwheatKwheat Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

Gotcha, thanks for the responses everyone. I'll give a 60 a try, seems to be the best route at this point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file