***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

When did you realize your kid is ready

mrshinsa ·  
mrshinsamrshinsa Members  309WRX Points: 154Posts: 309 Greens

Around what age did you realize your kid was ready to play solo, without caddy?
My 11 year old son is going through puberty, with lots of emotions, and I'm realizing I can no longer help him. I still hover around and help look for balls, but I can tell he no longer wants me around when he hits a bad shot etc...

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

Asked him (9 year old son) if he wanted to try an 18 holer without me on the bag this summer. Told him he was going to be a playing a bunch of older kids and he would be on his own. He seemed excited. Got paired with a 17 year old girl who was incredibly nice and he did just fine. I had limited my interaction at practice rounds for a month before as a test. Ask them and see if they are ready and find something low key without a lot of other kids so they can get their feet wet without a lot of stress or pressure. I feel fine putting him in tourneys where he is on his own now. He can handle his business without me.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 387Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

On -, @leezer99 said:

When I told him to hit his 4hy on a 160 yard par 3 and he pulled a 6 iron out of the bag and flagged it.

Similar at start of summer for me and my son. Told him to putt it from off the green and he pulled his SW and chipped it to 6 inches. He is good on his own lol.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX

When he told me- I just want Mommy to bring me to tournaments so you can stay home. What nerves!!!!

Posted:
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members  309WRX Points: 154Posts: 309 Greens

On -, @kekoa said:

When he told me- I just want Mommy to bring me to tournaments so you can stay home. What nerves!!!!

What did you do?!? :D

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • swancerswancer TNMembers  95WRX Points: 32Handicap: 6Posts: 95 Fairways

My son is 12 and luckily for me he still likes to have me on the bag. It may be more related to the cool factor of having a caddy; but I can think it’s because he thinks his old dad is cool right. I try not to give too much advice on club or shot selection as I want him to figure out his game. He does play a large number of non caddy tournaments as well as middle school golf so him figuring it out for himself is important.

I preach that golf is a lifetime sport that I have found is the absolute best way to bond with family, friends, customers and even strangers. I rarely play golf without him anymore and that’s by choice not necessity. I am playing at a 6 handicap right now and he is not too far behind me from his appropriate tees and I look forward to the day whips up on me when we play.

Posted:

Taylormade M4 Driver & 3 Wood
    Callaway Fusion FT Hybrids
    Cobra Forged TEC Black 5-GW
    Cobra KING Black 54 & 58
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black
    Black Ping Hoofer 14 Way
    Sun Mountain C130 Cart Bag

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1632WRX Points: 422Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees

When I realized my daughter was playing against all the other kids who dads who reading putts and telling there kids how play. Meanwhile she was playing on her own just fine and for the most reading the greens better than the dads who would get upset. She was about 10 at the time.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.