2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Oops I Broke a Window

The right thing to do? Is leave your name and contact info for them and offer to pay for the window or any other resulting damages.

• Like 3

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

> @BrandonDunes said:

> > @kmay__ said:

> > The right thing to do? Is leave your name and contact info for them and offer to pay for the window or any other resulting damages.

>

> How would I do that? It was a fenced backyard. I'm not even sure which house it was that I hit.

You could leave your name in the pro shop, that's where the homeowner is most likely to come if he's hoping to have the "culprit" pay for the repairs. I'd like to believe I'd do just that, and I think I'd feel better for making the effort, but so far I've never hit a window. A quick internet search suggests that you don't really have a legal liability for negligence (assuming you weren't aiming at the house).

• Like 2

> @davep043 said:

> > @BrandonDunes said:

> > > @kmay__ said:

> > > The right thing to do? Is leave your name and contact info for them and offer to pay for the window or any other resulting damages.

> >

> > How would I do that? It was a fenced backyard. I'm not even sure which house it was that I hit.

>

> You could leave your name in the pro shop, that's where the homeowner is most likely to come if he's hoping to have the "culprit" pay for the repairs. I'd like to believe I'd do just that, and I think I'd feel better for making the effort, but so far I've never hit a window. A quick internet search suggests that you don't really have a legal liability for negligence (**assuming you weren't aiming at the house).

The house would probably be safer if I aimed directly at it!

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @BrandonDunes said:

> > @kmay__ said:

> > The right thing to do? Is leave your name and contact info for them and offer to pay for the window or any other resulting damages.

>

> How would I do that? It was a fenced backyard. I'm not even sure which house it was that I hit.

You've got to be kidding. If you're going to play that game, then wait a little longer. You'll forget you even broke the window and (with luck) that you even posted this thread. Easypeasy.

> @davep043 said:

> A quick internet search suggests that you don't really have a legal liability for negligence (assuming you weren't aiming at the house).

This is accurate and most golfers do not realize it as there is typically a sign at the pro shop saying you're responsible for any damage. Like you said - unless you intentionally try to hit the house, there are two scenarios of who would prevail in a contested broken window. If the house was built before the course was it is not uncommon for the homeowner to make a claim against the course or city. If the house was built after the course, the homeowner owns it. In neither case is the golfer responsible - legally at least.

Last year one of the guys in league hit a pull on a dog leg left hole and an angry woman intercepted us as we drove by claiming one of us broke her window. None of us saw the ball hit the house and had no way of knowing if it happened or not. He was nice and gave her his contact info, but said he wasn't paying for a broken window of a house on a golf course. She sued in small claims court - served him with a notice, and then dropped the case. I'm guessing she or her husband did some research and found out it was a loser of a case.

I know many will say he was a jerk and had a moral responsibility to pay for the damage. I don't see it that way, as if I lived on a course I would be like lots of wiser people and put up a net. And, if I built a house next to an airport I wouldn't complain about the noise which is a very common thing that I used to have to deal with.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @BrandonDunes said:

> I played a round last weekend and I believe I broke somebody's window. I waited to see if anybody came outside and nobody did. What's the right thing to do in this situation?

In most states it is the golfers responsibility. You do my an additional Ryder to your insurance policy, but that policy also has a deductible. The deductible is the responsibility of the golfer. Think of it like a neighborhood kid throws a ball through your window. Certainly an accident, but the responsibility of the person who threw the ball.

> @RSinSG said:

>

>

> > @davep043 said:

>

> > A quick internet search suggests that you don't really have a legal liability for negligence (assuming you weren't aiming at the house).

>

> This is accurate and most golfers do not realize it as there is typically a sign at the pro shop saying you're responsible for any damage. Like you said - unless you intentionally try to hit the house, there are two scenarios of who would prevail in a contested broken window. If the house was built before the course was it is not uncommon for the homeowner to make a claim against the course or city. If the house was built after the course, the homeowner owns it. In neither case is the golfer responsible - legally at least.

>

> Last year one of the guys in league hit a pull on a dog leg left hole and an angry woman intercepted us as we drove by claiming one of us broke her window. None of us saw the ball hit the house and had no way of knowing if it happened or not. He was nice and gave her his contact info, but said he wasn't paying for a broken window of a house on a golf course. She sued in small claims court - served him with a notice, and then dropped the case. I'm guessing she or her husband did some research and found out it was a loser of a case.

>

> I know many will say he was a jerk and had a moral responsibility to pay for the damage. I don't see it that way, as if I lived on a course I would be like lots of wiser people and put up a net. And, if I built a house next to an airport I wouldn't complain about the noise which is a very common thing that I used to have to deal with.

>

It isn’t criminal, which is negligence. It’s civil.

> @davep043 said:

> > @BrandonDunes said:

> > > @kmay__ said:

> > > The right thing to do? Is leave your name and contact info for them and offer to pay for the window or any other resulting damages.

> >

> > How would I do that? It was a fenced backyard. I'm not even sure which house it was that I hit.

>

> You could leave your name in the pro shop, that's where the homeowner is most likely to come if he's hoping to have the "culprit" pay for the repairs. I'd like to believe I'd do just that, and I think I'd feel better for making the effort, but so far I've never hit a window. A quick internet search suggests that you don't really have a legal liability for negligence (assuming you weren't aiming at the house).

I heard of such an incident - golfer hit a ball through the picture window of a resident's house, golfer didn't follow-up with resident. Resident phoned the course manager and complained. Course manager asked, "Do you have the ball?" "Of course," replied the resident, "it was on my living room floor." The manager asked him to bring it over to the office, which the resident did. Club manager recognized the markings on the ball. On the next men's night, the manager went over to a table of members with the ball and asked if anyone recognized it. One member quickly said, "Yes, that's mine." Club manager gave him the name and address of the resident and told him to get in touch with the resident.

BTW, it's usually covered on the player's own house insurance.

• Like 1

What should you do? Give the owner your name, or leave a note. If you can't because a fence or it on the other side of pond etc. Then leave your name at the pro shop.

I have hit a parked car before. So I went an knocked on the door of house it was parked at and gave the owner my details.

Turned out my own home owner insurance covered it. My premiums went up by $32 per year for three years. So it was not even a big deal to do the right thing.

> @JohnnyCashForever said:

> You've got to be kidding. If you're going to play that game, then wait a little longer. You'll forget you even broke the window and (with luck) that you even posted this thread. Easypeasy.

As stated I did wait, then a group came up behind on the tee box so we continued to play. I felt very bad about it if that ensures you that I do have a heart. Yeah I didn't think about telling the pro shop about it. That's probably the best course of action.

If I purchase a home on a golf course just a shank away from a tee box I’m pretty sure I’m replacing the window myself. Just saying...

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

A bit of a digression - it's quite obvious that the right thing to do is to leave a note with your contact info or leave your contact info at the pro shop. I'm quite surprised at the number of posters that wouldn't do the right thing. What would those posters expect if it happened to their car or window? what happened to integrity and responsibility?

It really depends on the wording if any at the clubhouse and the home insurance and even an HOA which many course homes are a part of. I asked a friend of mine who lives on a semi-private course about this and I'm paraphrasing here: ' The home owner takes all liability of any unintentional damage to the property from normal golf play'. Another random tidbit he send me was that golfers have the right to retrieve their ball from your property (obviously can't play it).

> @Truman said:

> > @BrandonDunes said:

> > I played a round last weekend and I believe I broke somebody's window. I waited to see if anybody came outside and nobody did. What's the right thing to do in this situation?

>

> In most states it is the golfers responsibility.

>

>

Poor navigation this morning and no longer have the delete luxury we used to have, so sorry for the "nothing" posts.

Please provide a link to that generality, because it generally is not the case.

In my teens I had a guy hit a ball that took out 2 windows on a sports car I owned. I was parked in the driveway of the house I lived in near a long par 3 and the ball must have hit in the (not so) perfect spot to take out 2 windows. The guy was apolegetic, gave me his name and number and told me to get a quote to have it repaired. If I recall correctly the cost for the repair would be about $1,800 today if adjusted for inflation. The guy rightly balked at paying that much and I ended going to a junk yard to buy replacement windows. It cost the golfer less than $200 adjusted for inflation and about 5 hours of my time. I was a bit torqued about the time back then but looking back IMO it should have been my responsibility not the golfers.

This thread has many surprising answers for me. Many are saying that if if someone hits your property and damages it and it is the responsibility of the property owner to fix it - as they should not be near a golf course.

I can't say I agree and tend to think the right thing to do is identify yourself and work with he property owner to fix the issue.

> @2bGood said:

> This thread has many surprising answers for me. Many are saying that if if someone hits your property and damages it and it is the responsibility of the property owner to fix it - as they should not be near a golf course.

>

> I can't say I agree and tend to think the right thing to do is identify yourself and work with he property owner to fix the issue.

Based on my extensive 1 minute research on the internet, in many states (not all) it is the LEGAL responsibility of the homeowner to repair the damage, unless the golfer was in some way negligent. Presumably, the property owner derives increased property value due to his proximity to the course, in return for which he accepts certain additional risks. Simply hitting a bad shot isn't negligence. But the golfer, in my opinion, should feel a moral responsibility to at least share in the repair cost.

I would make a reasonable effort to contact the owner (but it's usually totally impractical). However as Dave points out, there are places around a golf course where balls fly frequently even if the golfers are completely responsible and doing nothing wrong. There's no way to know where every ball that a golfer accidentally launches OB is going to land.

> @BrandonDunes said:

> Think of it like a neighborhood kid throws a ball through your window. Certainly an accident, but the responsibility of the person who threw the ball.

this is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

what about a foul ball hit during an official little league game? should the batter's family be responsible for a broken car window or is it the pitcher's fault?

• Like 1