Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Ping Glide, is each version better than the next?

nilopolnilopol Members Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanted to hear thoughts on Ping Glides. Have you upgraded to the newest? How is hydopearl holding up? Comments on sole versions between models? Any discussion welcome.

Comments

• cooperk25cooperk25 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

I had the original glides (50, 54, 58 es) and they were great. Consolidated the 50 and 54 for a 52 glide forged. It feels good as advertised. No complaints from me. I kept the 58 and use it for sand and "creative" shots and the eye sole makes the club really versatile.

Hydropearl doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean how much water wicking capability do you need?

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cooperk25 said:
    I had the original glides (50, 54, 58 es) and they were great. Consolidated the 50 and 54 for a 52 glide forged. It feels good as advertised. No complaints from me. I kept the 58 and use it for sand and "creative" shots and the eye sole makes the club really versatile.

Hydropearl doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean how much water wicking capability do you need?

well according to this it adds a lot of spin in wet conditions. I personally use the 2.0 Stealth and love them, which aren't hydropearl. I like them slightly more than the original, but have not tried the 3.0 yet. I really like these wedges.

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,330 ClubWRX

I could not tell any difference, performance-wise, from original Glides to Glide 2. They’re both great. Have not tried Glide 3. I think their thin sole is one of the easiest low-bounce wedges to play. Right now I have Glide 2’s in a backup set but have gamed them and easily could game them again. I also have another Glide 2 50 with a Steelfiber 110 shaft in it. Ya know, that is a smooth but solid feeling shaft. I love Project X Rifles and to me it’s the only graphite iron shaft that seems to hold up to all my swings the way the Rifles do. Feels real nice with the Glide 2.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • TroutflyTroutfly Members Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

Glide, nice, bigger than 2, same distances, but for me the 2 had better spin and shot dispersion. Currently playing the stealth version, better than both and big improvement in feel. Haven't played the 3, will test. Love Ping wedges, but fwiw they are a little shorter, could create potential gaps in your wedge game.

• TheRavenTheRaven Members Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

I have the original glide wedges. I bought them last year and they still look pretty good. The finish seems to hold up pretty well and don't really. I don't know what they are like compared to the newer ones, but the finish is fine on them after a season.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5°
    4w: Ping G25 16.5°
    3h: Ping G20 20°
    4i-U: Ping i5
    Wedges: Ping Glide 54° & 58°
    Putter: Ping Anser Remake BeNi / Anser TR1966 / Ping Ketsch Cadence TR Heavy
    Ball: Snell MTB Black
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,538 ClubWRX

Glide 2.0 were an improvement over Glide. I personally do not think the 3.0 is an improvement. I’ve hit both the 3.0 and the Eye2 3.0. YMMV. As far as the extra spin when wet, I have my doubts as to it lasting more than a few rounds.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭

I never played any of the earlier versions, but recently switched to the new Glide 3.0 from Cleveland RTX-3's. I've got about 30-35 rounds on them (I play a LOT), and so far the hydropearl finish seems to be holding up perfectly, even on the 54*, which I use out of the sand. Saturday was a very wet day here, and both times I had to hit a full 54, it was with a wet ball off a wet fairway, and both times I got enough spin to draw the ball back on the green. Same with the one full 58* shot I had to hit. Something that rarely happened with my RTX-3's under the best of conditions - though in fairness, I'm playing much better now than when I got the RTX-3's, and they had a lot of mileage on them when I finally got the Pings.

• Crooksc17Crooksc17 NJMembers Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not meaning to be a jerk but do you mean is each version better than the last? The way you asked suggests that the previous version is always better

@nilopol said:
    Wanted to hear thoughts on Ping Glides. Have you upgraded to the newest? How is hydopearl holding up? Comments on sole versions between models? Any discussion welcome.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm playing the originals, but have some Stealth's I'm about to start trialing. When looking at the regular 2's in the store I didn't see anything in the design that made me want to switch. Overall I've been perfectly happy with the Glide's. They spin the ball nicely, look good behind the ball, and are durable. I like the cambered sole design too. Just about the perfect wedges.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • nandoalnandoal PittsburghMembers Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Didn't like the Glide 3.0 as much as my Glide 2.0 Stealth

• tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

The original glides are every bit as good as any of the others. They are great wedges. Especially excel on full shots. They did a nice job with the soles to fit a wide range of players. I do think the stealths feel more muted with the 8620, but performance is the same.

Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    Titleist Vokey 54° S, 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started with the original Ping Glide wedges. Switched to the MD4 from Callaway because I just felt that they were better with full shots. When the Ping Glide 2.0 came out I tried them but just didn't seem to perform as well as the MD4's. Recently purchased the Ping Glide 3.0 wedges, include a 54* Eye2, and really like them. The Eye2 is easily my favorite wedge and gets used a lot. Full swing and pitches, it's just a very reliable club. I especially like it out of the rough because it just seems to carve it's way through the grass without any drag even though it's a pretty big head. The other day I did some comparisons with the MD4 54* and the Eye2 just seemed like it performed better. Much more controllable on tight lies and easy to open up when in the sand or if you need to loft it up.

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ping clubs normally evolve from the original with small incremental improvements............they don't release a club unless it performs better than the one it replaces. They have far more engineers than marketing people..........that tells you all you need to know!

• gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

IMO the original glide wedges had the best shape of the lot. I’m very picky about the shape of my wedges, and other than the heads being on the bigger side, the way the hosel flows into the leading edge is **** near perfect on the original glides.

To me, the 2.0 and 3.0 are rounder and have more of a “bubble on a stick” appearance than the 1.0. My quest now is to find something that is the same headshape just a touch smaller overall size without having to go full custom!

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,538 ClubWRX

@Night train said:
    Ping clubs normally evolve from the original with small incremental improvements............they don't release a club unless it performs better than the one it replaces. They have far more engineers than marketing people..........that tells you all you need to know!

Even though that is their premise, it always in the eye of the beholder. From an engineering point of view, it might be better, but the end user might disagree for a myriad of reasons (most not sane to an engineer). I either move on to something else or go out and buy a backup of the same club. Oddly, I've only done that with wedges.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

Leave a Comment