Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

New or Used?

avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members Posts: 5

I've been golfing for a couple of years now. I have been using a used set of Strata clubs I picked up at a pawn shop, because I didn't know if it was going to be something I wanted to continue with. All told, I fell in love with the game and can't get enough of it. I bought a new/used driver over the summer that I absolutely love. I am, however, wanting to buy a new set of clubs. I am a high handicap golfer, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on the latest and greatest manufacturers have to offer. Are there any opinions out there on what I should be looking for? New? Used? Brand? Should I spend the money and get fitted? Or should I just stick with the Stratas because that it was I am used to playing with? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

USED 1000%

If you are a new golfer and you love the game you will burn through a few sets of iron as your swing develops and you understand what type of club you like/suits you. If you but the right used clubs, you will be able to flip the with little to no loss when it is time to upgrade/change.

If it turns out you don't like golf, then you will have much cheaper set of clubs sitting in the closet.

I been a scratch golfer, played for about 20 years now spend lots of money on golf and I buy used irons (not hard to find 'like new' clubs.

• MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The BST on here is THE PLACE to buy clubs. My bag + clubs would have been about 3600 if I bought everything new at retail. I have a few clubs I did get new, and still spent under 2k bag included. The BST here is just amazing, and I have had the opportunity to try so many things and resell for good returns.

Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 (C1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist U510 1-iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 and 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM3 60.07 - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour B X
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2019 7:42pm #4

Used is definitely the way to go. I haven't bought a brand-new golf club in nearly 20 years. Lots of reputable commercial and private sellers out there.

If you need to go out and hit a few to see what you like, go to some demo days at your local courses, or hit up one of the big box stores. Find a manufacturer, model, or style of club that you like and works well for you, then start scouring ebay, the bst, Callaway Pre-Owned, and the like. If you can't find the exact club you hit at the store, look for similar models from a couple of years back.

Mizuno JPX and Ping G series irons wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • wrm2120wrm2120 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭

Used clubs are the way to go for sure. You can also go with stuff that's from a previous generation too.

I got my S-55s for 499.99 brand new from a Golf Galaxy because the iBlades were the hot new thing.
    Deals are out there for those who look. It never hurts to go to a golf store if you're near one and hit their used stuff and see what you get along with.

Driver: Callaway XR 16
    3 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner HL
    Irons: Ping S-55 (3-PW)
    Wedges: Ping Glide (50, 54 & 58)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Ball: Callaway Chromesoft TrueVis
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

I have only ever bought one set used, my Rbladez irons, (although GolfGalaxy did replace a new TopFlite wedge with my RTX 3 last year, but idk how I got that lucky lol). Everything else has been used and has been nothing short of exceptional. Do yourself a favor and check out some posts in the BST, facebook has some large club trading groups with decent offers, or check online secondhand retailers (2ndswing, global golf, etc.). Like previous posters have said, you'll save a bunch of money and if it turns out golf isn't your thing you're only out X amount instead of X x3 amount. Happy shopping, it's an addiction, I am perfectly satisfied with my golf bag and look at clubs all the time.

Fitting wise, you may receive some mixed answers. Personally I do believe fitting can be a great asset, but being a high handicap golfer and on a tighter budget, I personally wouldn't do a full fitting and save yourself some money and some hassle as your fitting may become obsolete if you stay with the game and your swing changes as you become a better player. I would go to a local store with a simulator, swing some clubs and get an idea for at minimum shaft flex (shaft weight if you can) and perhaps do just a static fitting (height and wrist to floor) to get an approximate value for club length and lie angle.

Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: K-Sig
    Bag: Pushcart - Maxfli Honors Carry - Taylormade Flextech Lite 
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members Posts: 5

Went out this morning and picked up a set of Nike Vapor Speed irons. Night and day compared to my old Stratas. I went out to the range after words and was just absolutely shocked at the difference. Thanks again for all the advice!

• nicelifenicelife Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Buy your wedges new, everything else can be used.

• BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you're at the point where your swing is somewhat consistent, you may want to consider going through a fitting. Even if you don't find something that you consider worth the money, you'll likely learn what head designs and shaft weights/feels work better to help narrow your search.

You can definitely get some great deals used, or even buying new 1 or 2 generations back.

• jjj912jjj912 Members Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with used if you want something different. Just think about what you might want and then start shopping here on GolfWRX and on eBay and see what’s available. If buying from eBay, my advice is only buy when there are good pictures of the actual clubs, unless you don’t mind taking a risk that the clubs don’t quite match the description advertised by the seller. “Good condition” and “8 out of 10” are a qualitative assessments and mean different things to different people.

Having said that, you can become a good golfer with the Strata’s. I played with a co-worker who had PowerBilt irons and fairway woods with steel shafts and he proceeded to go out with a 43 despite not having touched a club in over a month (he came in with a bunch of X’s, but that’s why it is called Golf). So get different clubs if it makes you happy, but it’s perfectly acceptable to keep what you have.

• sford31sford31 Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

Used clubs will do you just fine.

• gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 4:20am #12

Huge fan of used given just how much there is out there and significantly cheaper than enw retail. So more money can go to golf and trips, etc. Also partial to older gear anyway (older for me given I'm only 40), so I can pick up great older stuff for nothing. Just got my V-Steels and 300 forged irons for $100...

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Taylormade R510 TP 9.5* w/ Di6X (black)
    Woods - Taylormade V-Steel 3/5 w/ 80X Kai'Li
    Hybrid - Adams Pro VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Irons - Taylormade 300 Forged 4-PW w/ Rifle 6.0
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 53/58 w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 5:30am #13

Get fit for irons and find out which specs you play..

then buy used older models from the same brand you were fit for and match them to your spec at your local golf shop.

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Used, and lessons

• FilipposhkaFilipposhka Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

I started with old clubs and am very happy. Thanks to this, I learned to play well.

• xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@avgjoe88 said:
    Went out this morning and picked up a set of Nike Vapor Speed irons. Night and day compared to my old Stratas. I went out to the range after words and was just absolutely shocked at the difference. Thanks again for all the advice!

Glad you found something you liked! Have fun with them.

• jmgledhilljmgledhill Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

@TIM929 said:
    Get fit for irons and find out which specs you play..

then buy used older models from the same brand you were fit for and match them to your spec at your local golf shop.

Agree with this and will add just find the shaft that works well during the fitting and go with that in a used set with a head you can stand to look at. All the heads in a given category ( game improvement, etc.) Are pretty similar

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

As a high handicap i wouldnt worry about getting fit. You likely have some swing flaws and if you work on them and take lessons, your clubs will be likely ill fitted. Once you are sub 100, or even sub 90 consistently is when i might start thinking about upgrading equipment and getting fit. Until then your money and time is best spent on lessons and getting better.

• dollerisdolleris Members Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nicelife said:
    Buy your wedges new, everything else can be used.

Spot on

My bag
    PING G400 Max driver, G400 3 & 5 woods, G400 hybrid, Srixon Z565 5-PW, TM Milled Grind wedges, Yes Tracy III+ putter
  • AdExecAdExec Scottsdale, AZ Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

If you’re a Callaway fan, you can’t beat the CPO site. Half my bag comes from there. BST always has solid deals. Putters and wedges I typically buy new.

• EvenEnergyEvenEnergy Members Posts: 2

Learned golf around 2 years ago with used club. Now as I'm getting better at the game, started to look at new clubs and getting fitted for my new set.

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Used all day. So many great sets that are gently used out there and you’ll save 50+%. Read the forums or look at 2018 golf digest hot list for ideas on what to look for. Hit some clubs on a monitor if you have the chance as well to see numbers and help your decision.

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

As a beginner most people go used just because of cost and uncertainty of falling in love with golf. Cally preown, eBay, this forum, and garage sales are some places to start. I also agree with above posts. Once you get a more consistent swing go get fitted.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Even being newer to golf I think a fitting can still benefit you. Perhaps get some lessons from a reputable source to get the swing improved a bit, then head to golf galaxy etc and use the Mizuno optimizer to figure out what iron shafts may fit you best. You might also want to try their paid fitting services too for woods because I did find even as when I was a beginner, shaft did make a difference to my game.

I'd buy as much used as possible as it's likely your game will improve rapidly and you could outgrow things quickly.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• GCSGCS Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Get a fitting for a baseline of what you need and browse the BST here every day.

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Used always works, I do it and do it for my daughter.

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woods, hybrids and putters I have no issue buying used as I'll save a few bucks and not hard to get a shaft that works for me.

Irons and wedges I'll buy new because if I have to re-shaft it will cost as much as new irons in most cases depending on the shaft I'm going into. Plus my irons and wedges are all longer so extensions and regrips on everything adds up. But for me once I'm set for irons I'm set until I need new ones and wedges the same.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 14, 2019 5:19pm #28

Used all the way. Let someone else take the depreciation hit as soon as it is out of its plastic. You won't miss out on any huge tech advances as driver size and COR max has been at its limits and iron technology has been stagnant long before you took up the game.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members Posts: 5

Thanks everyone for the help! i broke down a couple of days ago and got a used set of Nike irons and I absolutely love them...I've seen a major improvement in my game since going from my cheap Stratas to these!

• iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers Posts: 23 ✭✭

Great clubs. Nike vapor speeds? Awsome i still have some in great shape. Have the driver 3 wood and hybrid irons and bag. The strata set is ok to start for sure but if your going to play more and get more serious thats a perfect set for you.

• MattGolfsMattGolfs San DiegoMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

Definitely go used when just starting. The more you play, the more you learn what you like in equipment and you can start upgrading parts of your bag piece by piece. I bought my first set, a used set of all nike clubs, a year and a half ago. Since then i’ve gone to a lot of demo days and figured out what I like and have upgraded every part of my bag, some parts multiple times lol

• PING G400 Max 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.5 flex
    • Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 3 Wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5 flex
    • Callaway Apex 3 hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80 gram stiff
    • Srixon Z785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    • Cleveland RTX4 50°10 and 56°10 w/ KBS C-Taper stiff
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°ATV w/ KBS hi-rev 2.0
    • Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 34/340

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file