Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

New Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten putters - Sept 2019

124»

Comments

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NailedIt said:

@brew4eagle said:
    Hate all of these weight way back mallets. Ugly with no feel for speed at all. Just make a plain anser shape with a WH insert at $150 price point. Will sell a ton like they did with the WHPs.

They do, it’s called white hot pro 2.0 in black. They sell for $110 and nobody is touching them in the retail stores.

Because the 2.0s are as generic as can be. I'm asking for a new, clean version.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • Jdavenp3Jdavenp3 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a Spider X fanboy through and through. Love that putter. These look pretty good- I have gamed multiple versions of the Spider. I think its something for brand loyalists and those on the fence about the head shape to enter into the fray. Nothing wrong with copying, everyone does it all the time. I doubt the Spider X leaves anytime soon but if it does I will definitely give this a go.

WITB:

*Taylormade M4 8.75* Evenflow Black HC 6.0 65g
    *Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue
    *Ping i25 Hybrid 18*
    *Taylormade P790 4-AW Nippon Modus 105 T stiff
    *Taylormade MG2 Matte Nippon Modus 115 54/58*
    *Taylormade Spider X-navy w/ single sightline
    *2019 ProV1X-yellow
    *Nike camo cart bag.
    *Nike Vapor React 2 & Nike Air Max 1g
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 2:32am #94

This particular head is very sharp and clean looking at address. Despite the old adage of "putters without alignment lines don't sell at retail" I hope they bring something like this to retail.

Everyone mentions MOI when talking about this design but the original Spider Tour wasn't super high MOI. It was about 4900, Anser putters are in the 4300 range. I suspect part of the success of the original Jason Day Spider was that it didn't have any alignment lines. In fact I recall him saying he preferred that look so he could just focus on speed and rolling the ball. The head frames the ball very well and between the face and the right angles near the face I question how much you really need the alignment line. Surely some people just putt better once they're not distracted by the alignment line.

• Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,181 mod

Well I’m pretty Sean designed the Spider when he was taylormade ...

Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • jgolf215jgolf215 JT Members Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:54am #96

@J13 said:

@bladehunter said:
    I love it ! Serves TM right for the high toe wedge.

haha exactly and also lets not forget Scotty and TM and every other putter company stealing the #7 and countless other Odyssey designs. This looks like an improved version of the Spider. Lower COG and higher MOI than TM's.

What J said! I was just about to comment on this verbatim! Everyone has tried to copy the #7 at some point. I remember Adam Scott had a White Ice # 7 in the bag after the "anchor" ban and Scotty made a bunch of different copies for him to try. I just recently picked up an Odyssey Jailbird Mini S Red to try a mallet without a double bend shaft. Had I known they were going to do this....... Oh well, I'm liking the Mini and I picked it up for much cheaper than this one will be. Besisdes, I'm not a fan of that Stroke Lab shaft.

Callaway Rogue 9* ( N/S) Fubuki J 50
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65
    Callaway XR16 19* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75 
    Callaway Steelhead XR 20.5* TENSEI CK Blue 65
    Callaway Apex 20* & 23* KuroKage Black 80HY
    Callaway Apex UT 24* KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 85
    Callaway XR Pro 5-9 KBS Tour V
    Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50/10* 
    Callaway MD Forged 54*/10* & 58*/08* 
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini S w SS Flatso Traxion 1.0 or
    Odyssey ProType #2 Nippon XXIP B2 w Iomic Absolute X
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
    Glove: UA Strikeskin Tour
    Shoe: UA

Steelhead XR 20.5* or XR16 19*/5 wood alternates w Apex 20* hybrid.
    Apex 23* alternates with Apex UT 24*

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

An ugly copy of another ugly putter.

Everyone copies. My Byron's, my Cameron's, my Evnroll are all copies of someone else's original design. While I'll poke fun of some of the blatant copying that goes on, it doesn't really bother me. I mean, as consumers we're kind of the ones that benefit. Imagine if you only had the original design of everything to choose from. That would be killer. I doubt this forum would be around in the form it is.

• Trav1989Trav1989 Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

I wonder if there will be a Toulon version

• bbspeerbbspeer Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Callaway: Can I copy your homework?
    Taylormade: Yeah, just change it up a bit so no one notices.

• lochlloydprolochlloydpro Rock Chalk Jayhawk Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

@bbspeer said:
    Callaway: Can I copy your homework?
    Taylormade: Yeah, just change it up a bit so no one notices.

More like:
    Taylormade: turns in project with name at the top
    Callaway: Sees TM turn in project with name at the top, takes project erases their name and puts Callaway on it and turns it in :D

Callaway XR16 9.0 Project X HZRDUS Red 6.5 65
    Callaway BBA 16 Deg Fairway Wood Project X HZRDUS Red 6.5 75
    Callaway x2hot #3 Fujikura F3 90X tipped 1/2
    Callaway Apex UT 21 deg KBS Tour Stiff
    Callaway X Forged '13 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Callaway MD Forged 52.10 & MD2 60.10 PM Grind KBS Tour Stiff
    Odyssey O Works Red 7s
  • jkinger89jkinger89 Members Posts: 2

Hoping they have the two line available in LH. Anyone know when these are set to release?

• TitletownTitletown Members Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

@jonn443 said:
    This is the most blatant rip off Taylormade I have EVER witnessed.

Odyssey/Callaway execs should be completely disgusted with the R&D Dept and should FIRE the whole Dept. They are absolutely useless. This is not a copy of a simple anser design , this is straight thievery.

that escalated quickly

Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9° / Tour AD Di 6
    Rogue SZ Tour Issue 16.5° / Tour AD DI 7
    Apex (3i) / Tour AD DI 105
    Apex Pro (4i-9i) / KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 46-10, 50-10, 54-08, 58-08 / KBS $-Taper 120
    Odyssey Works Versa V-Line

• hoosierfan0035hoosierfan0035 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

@jonn443 said:

Odyssey/Callaway execs should be completely disgusted with the R&D Dept and should FIRE the whole Dept. They are absolutely useless. This is not a copy of a simple anser design , this is straight thievery.

I know this is a trolling post, but I’d like to play along as well. Let’s talk about some of the Taylormade Ardmore putters that ripped off the Odyssey V-Line Fang design. Also, let’s talk about the Taylormade Pix ball that was a blatant rip off the Callaway Truvis.

This is the golf industry. It happens.

• WBurgess31WBurgess31 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Do we know when these will be available in stores? I have been thinking about getting a Spider X but want to compare the 2 before i buy. Im hoping these are cheaper than the Spiders too.

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/Atmos Black 6X
    Ping G410 LST  w/TourAD GP 7x
    Taylormade GAPR LO 17* 
    Srixon Z565 4-5 and Z765 6-PW w/KBS Tour S+
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 33"
    Bridgestone Tour BX Ball
  • b_teetb_teet Denver, COMembers Posts: 55 ✭✭

Wow! Like the thick white line alignment option

Titleist TS2 10.5
    Titleist TS2 15
    Titleist TS2 3H
    Callaway Apex 16
    Callaway Mackdaddy 3 50,55,60
    Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2
  • Lenny2Lenny2 Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

I can’t wait to try them, not a Sacks Parente but looks good.

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would have been amazing if they named it the Callaway Spider

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a Spider (DJ) player for the last 2 years, and one who loves the Spider, I will definitely give these a try. Love the look of these compared to some of the other companies similar designs. The lower weight has me intrigued.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • 18th Legion18th Legion Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I understand everyone has copies/versions of the Anser, Camerons, Odyssey #9, so on and so on... however, I just get so tired of the lack of ethics in business overall. As important as Ethics are to the game of golf, I'd like to see it practised in all aspects of the industry. Nearly every equipment company is guilty of similar acts, but IMO the folks who do this and allow this are not people I would want to play golf with or work with. Simply put, they are not trustworthy and I wish they were not in this industry.

TaylorMade M4 D 10.5 Matrix Ozik White Tie 50
    TaylorMade M4 4 16 Fwy Matrix Ozik White Tie 60
    Callaway Rogue Hybrids 3,4,5 Aldila Synergy
    Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
    Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
    TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
    TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
    Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is revenge for other companies copying the 9 and the 7 for years

• PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SCMembers Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jonn443 said:

hahaha ok then...... just calm down.

Forever Changing at this point.......

TG2 Podcast Guest: 
  • Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭

RELEASE DATE???

Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

Everyone copys. The m2 has a driver channel just like in nikes victory red drivers. They all copy. Its just who can so it better.

• MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t IP theft a big deal? I’m genuinely curious about all these copying in golf equipment industry.

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Medson said:
    Isn’t IP theft a big deal? I’m genuinely curious about all these copying in golf equipment industry.

It's only good for so long and the Spider has been around for YEARS. My guess is the design is almost 15 years old.

Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Medson said:

Depends on the amount of time, and to what extent a company goes to try to protect it.

Something as simple as a shape is tough to protect as intellectual property. The only way it works is if there is a specific technical innovation that's being protected. And companies frequently cross license their patent portfolio.

Now there can be trademark implications if one company is putting markings on its product to specifically suggest it's someone else's product, but I don't think that is going on here just as none of the Anser clones are trying to convince anyone that their version is a Ping product.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file