Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2019-2020 season irons - safe to say the all the big players released?

Thinking of getting new iron heads, and was wondering if I would need to wait a bit longer for other brands to release their 2019-2020 models...thoughts? Idea being that I would be short changing myself if I wasn't testing equipment after most of the big players release their lines.

Comments

• AtlantaGolf3AtlantaGolf3 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I do not think you would necessarily be shorting yourself from a performance tech perspective. There probably are not massive gains year over year in breakthrough technology. IMO you can recognize more significant improvements from around a 6 year gap from tech and (more importantly) how your swing might have changed in speed, AOA and striking ability over that given time. Shaft/Iron head combo is important.

Really where you may he shorting yourself is in the money department. It may not be important to you, but you may save some money if you wait a little longer till January/PGA Show when the big brands start announcing their new lines. Then get fitted with previous years line from discounted options. I believe each line of irons have different characteristics that may warrant a different shaft than what you are currently using (and might not). Just because a certain shaft works particularly well with you current head doesn’t mean that it optimal with a new head.

Def just an opinion here. Take it with a grain of salt.

• ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just for way of example, I anticipate that Ping will make some announcements on irons - whether its the 500 / 700 series updates or the S class iron.

• hartrick11hartrick11 San DiegoMembers Posts: 58 ✭✭

Think Cobra is coming out with a Forged Tec update as well.

Driver: Cobra F8+, Hzrdus Black
    3w: Cobra F7, AD DI
    UT: TaylorMade Gapr LO, KBS Proto
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB, KBS $ Taper
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B X-W1 54 & 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

• thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers Posts: 68 ✭✭

@AtlantaGolf3 said:
    I do not think you would necessarily be shorting yourself from a performance tech perspective. There probably are not massive gains year over year in breakthrough technology. IMO you can recognize more significant improvements from around a 6 year gap from tech and (more importantly) how your swing might have changed in speed, AOA and striking ability over that given time. Shaft/Iron head combo is important.

Really where you may he shorting yourself is in the money department. It may not be important to you, but you may save some money if you wait a little longer till January/PGA Show when the big brands start announcing their new lines. Then get fitted with previous years line from discounted options. I believe each line of irons have different characteristics that may warrant a different shaft than what you are currently using (and might not). Just because a certain shaft works particularly well with you current head doesn’t mean that it optimal with a new head.

Def just an opinion here. Take it with a grain of salt.

makes sense, thanks. I've been exploring the idea of subbing out 7 to PW or 8 to PW (depending on iron model) for something more "workable" as people would describe it. I'm still on my first iron set, which is a game improvement model (i only started playing 3 years ago), but the other day I was on trackman for a lesson and while I was hitting it well, the dispersion in distances were starting to become an issue given the faces are too hot on these GI types (mostly due to not enough spin). So I was advised to perhaps look into more short irons that offer more control and workability, which prompted my question.

• zedzed Members Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭

Wilson V6 replacement might be worth the wait.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
    Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
    Srixon H65 22 deg
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
    Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
    Ping Zing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file