2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

4 Days in/near Bangkok, Course Recommendations?

shadymg

_I've been searching the forums high and low, and I've put together a laundry list of courses and locations to play. However, my buddy & i will **only have 4.5 days in/around Bangkok**, so we're trying to be efficient and cost effective (but not cheap). We're flying in & out of Bangkok, but beyond that everything else is up for grabs. We're going for the first week of December.

From what I've read, it seems like **Hua Hin** is the place to be, specifically the must do course is the **Black Mountain Course**. Neither of us have ever been to Thailand before, so if that's the case, trying to evaluate how much time to spend in Hua Hin versus Bangkok (we're not much partiers). I figure if we stay in Bangkok, we can play Thai Country Club, but read some reviews of it being overrated?

Here is the latest top 5 i can think of as I've been looking around:

1. Black Mountain - Hua Hin

2. Thai Country Club - Bangkok surrounds

3. Siam Country Club - Pattaya

4. Banyan Golf Course - Hua Hin

5. Alpine Golf & Sports Club - Bangkok

Any/all comments/suggestions welcome and appreciated!! FWIW, my buddy is around a +10hcp, and I'm "trending" to a +17hcp if that matters._

EDIT 10/25:

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I think we have our trip all set & locked down. It sounds insane and we might die from the jetlag, but here's our plan.

Day 1, we land early in the AM, so going to try to do night golf at Summit Windmill

Day 2, Royal Gems Golf City Dream Arena - i know some people say meh, but call me a fool because i'm SUPER excited to play a replica course

Day 3, Thai Country Club - a lot of money, but seemed like a must-do while in bangkok

Day 4, Alpine

Final Day, Cascata

Fingers crossed that pace of play since it's a weekday is great. All of our tee times are around 9-9:30am except for 1 that's at 7:30am, so I'm mentally preparing myself for a LONG COMMUTE. We'll be staying in Sukhumvit Soi 14, so it's a decent drive to each of these spots....but hopefully still gives us enough time to eat a ton and get a bunch of massages lol.

Hi

I've played about 30 courses in Thailand. From my experience the courses in Bangkok are too crowded, even on a weekday. I played some good courses but I just didn't enjoy playing five and six hour rounds.

However one course you may not have heard of that I would recommend in Bangkok is Summit Windmill. The attraction there is night golf. Playing under lights is a freaky experience and one I am in no hurry to repeat but I'm glad I did it.

I have played every course in Hua Hin and you have already mentioned the two clear stand outs, namely Black Mountain and Banyan. Similar to one another in that they are beautiful to look at and have scarcely a blade of grass out of place.

If you were only to play two courses in Hua Hin they are the two I would suggest. However my favourite there is Majestic Creek. The opposite of those two, it's out in the sticks, you would describe it as "rustic." Instead of playing on a carpeted cathedral like Black Mountain you feel like you're playing in the jungle. Any ball hit into the rough stays there.

I also enjoyed Sea Pines as well. I believe it's the only course in the area that has holes running alongside the ocean. Imperial Lake View, has four courses, 36 holes. I have played all of them and it's my ambition to play all of them in one day. The "Korean" course (not sure of it's real name) is REALLY rough around around the edges with overgrown grass everywhere. I'd play it again but would rank it last alongside Royal Hua Hin. The Royal course has one positive aspect, it's next to the train station so basically in the centre of town. You can walk there no matter where you are staying.

The only course I didn't like was Palm Hills. I just found it flat and boring, I played there five or six years ago so may have changed for the better but it's the only course I wouldn't play again.

WIth accommodation The Hilton is the centre of town so stay near there. It's surrounded by restaurants etc.

Sorry I got cut off prematurely during that post due to "maintenance

I was going to add, ÿou don't have long so my advice would be pick one place and stick to it rather than spending your limited time in a car.

I don't have a handicap but I did it would be about 25 or so. I can shoot in the mid 90's but it's no surprise to me if I shoot 110. The reason I mention that is none of the courses I referred to were "beyond"me. I never felt "Oh this is hopeless"

Only once in Thailand have I ever thought I was wasting my money playing there was on a course in Kanchanaburi called Blue Star. It had multiple forced water carries, maybe a dozen of them and some were over 200 metres. After losing half a dozen balls like that I just lost interest. One hole towards the end had a massive water carry from the tee and I said to the caddy, "Ï'll just take a drop" before I even teed off. I was just sick of losing balls. Nothing in Hua Hin is like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like Thai CC myself as it is close to BKK and you get a japanese like experience with comfort stations every few holes as the heat is usually there with humidity. Wonderful facilities and maintenance practices by the super keep it in very good shape. When the wind blows it is quite challenging, although from the middle tees it isn't overly long and get able if you can avoid the several water hazards. Expect to pay over $200 if you don't know a member. Once there happened to be a charity tournament that day and I just showed up and joined it for cheaper than non-member rates.

Used to live in BKK 10 years ago and play at the courses down Bangna Trad (The road to/from the airport) most weekends - my favourite course around BKK is Subhapruek GC - which is quite difficult to find around Km29 off the road past the Adventist University. This is a Dye design course, great layout and really good playing conditions normally - downside as others have pointed out are slow rounds behind Thai 5 and 6 ball parties however during the weekdays it is quiet and cheap. The clubhouse is also a bit ropey but passable. Other decent courses down there are Windmill GC, Green Valley GC, Thana City, Lakewood all within 30 to 40 minutes taxi drive from central Bangkok depending upon the traffic of course. A little further out you get down to Pattaya there is LeamChabang in addition to Siam CC - but there are many others. If you head north towards the old airport (Don Muang) there are also a couple of good courses Lam Lu Ka and Pinehurst are interesting - lots of water, also out here is Alpine but I have never played it yet.

Going down to Hua Hin (which I do at least once a year sometimes twice) is obviously a great choice however bear in mind that it is 2.5 to 3 hours drive each way now due to the speed restrictions (now enforced) so it is further perhaps than you imagine - as stated Black mountain and Banyan are the premier clubs but I still rate Springfield as a better layout (Nicklaus) - I also like Majestic Creek but my other pick would be Lakeview which has a great layout - and they have put a lot of effort into the 3rd 9 holes.

Hope you have a great trip - Thailand is a fantastic golfing destination.

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I think we have our trip all set & locked down. It sounds insane and we might die from the jetlag, but here's our plan.

* Day 1, we land early in the AM, so going to try to do night golf at Summit Windmill

* Day 2, Royal Gems Golf City Dream Arena - i know some people say meh, but call me a fool because i'm SUPER excited to play a replica course

* Day 3, Thai Country Club - a lot of money, but seemed like a must-do while in bangkok

* Day 4, Alpine

* Final Day, Cascata

Fingers crossed that pace of play since it's a weekday is great. All of our tee times are around 9-9:30am except for 1 that's at 7:30am, so I'm mentally preparing myself for a LONG COMMUTE. We'll be staying in Sukhumvit Soi 14, so it's a decent drive to each of these spots....but hopefully still gives us enough time to eat a ton and get a bunch of massages lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for some advice.

My soon to be wife and I are going to Thailand for our honeymoon in early January. We would like to try out the night golf at Summit Windmill on a weeknight. Our hotel is in the Sathorn district. Is taxi the best way to get to and from the course? Looking at a 6 - 6:30 pm tee time how early should we plan on leaving to make sure we get there on time? Thanks in advance for the help!

> @therealsneek said:

> Looking for some advice.

>

> My soon to be wife and I are going to Thailand for our honeymoon in early January. We would like to try out the night golf at Summit Windmill on a weeknight. Our hotel is in the Sathorn district. Is taxi the best way to get to and from the course? Looking at a 6 - 6:30 pm tee time how early should we plan on leaving to make sure we get there on time? Thanks in advance for the help!

My trip isn't until the first week of December, but I will be going to Summit Windmill from the city (on a Sunday night though) so I'll let you know how long it takes us. I've heard that Grab (same as Uber) is everywhere there, so that was my plan.

> @shadymg said:

> > @therealsneek said:

> > Looking for some advice.

> >

> > My soon to be wife and I are going to Thailand for our honeymoon in early January. We would like to try out the night golf at Summit Windmill on a weeknight. Our hotel is in the Sathorn district. Is taxi the best way to get to and from the course? Looking at a 6 - 6:30 pm tee time how early should we plan on leaving to make sure we get there on time? Thanks in advance for the help!

>

> My trip isn't until the first week of December, but I will be going to Summit Windmill from the city (on a Sunday night though) so I'll let you know how long it takes us. I've heard that Grab (same as Uber) is everywhere there, so that was my plan.

That would be awesome. Hope you enjoy your trip!