Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Driver shaft du jour for 2019

wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat SunflowerMembers Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what are the driver shaft and head combinations that you used in 2019. What did you like or not like about them?

Here are ours:
Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

«1

Comments

  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    The boy was fit into the Fujikura Speeder Evo V but when the guy told me it was going to be $450 (even though I did find them for $350) we stuck with the Mitsubishi Diamana. He plays a Callaway driver so it's easy enough to find shafts to try out on their used website or at the local golf shops. Might be tempted to try a counterbalanced shaft though...

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

    M5. Started 2019 with a tensei red in senior flex. High flight with little roll. Moved onto tensei blue in regular flex. Noticeably lower launch but more roll. Adjusted loft setting and spin weights and I think that we have a good combo going for now.

  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭

    My 11 year old daughter has a Cobra F9 junior driver with a Fujikura Atmos 5 women’s shaft. The driver is 41”. We previously had a Recoil ES 440 F1 shaft in it and she did well with that. Just needed a longer shaft so we decided to try something different.

  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Too many combos to list ... maybe 20 to 30 combos ... 5 heads
    M5
    400lst
    410lst
    GBB
    2016m2

    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 5:58pm #6
    • 9 Year Old, 58" tall, decent not great golfer.

    Started the year with a Callaway XR16 13.5 mated to a Flynn shaft. Liked it fine, he controlled it well for the most part but then started swinging out of it so we made the switch to a Project X 4.0 Ladies flex cut to 60" USKids specs. Better distance and control once he got the hang of it.

    Post edited by BloctonGolf11 on
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    Great thread, would be nice if everyone could also put in their juniors’ age.

  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    My 14 yr old son started the year with a Mizuno ST-180 w/ Tensei Orange 55 R-flex. Moved to the Cally Rogue w/ Tensei Orange 55 S-flex and currently using the Ping G400 Max w/ Tour 65s. Best combination of distance and forgiveness for him. Getting pretty close off the tee to his old man;)

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

    @yellowlover519 said:
    M5. Started 2019 with a tensei red in senior flex. High flight with little roll. Moved onto tensei blue in regular flex. Noticeably lower launch but more roll. Adjusted loft setting and spin weights and I think that we have a good combo going for now.

    Junior is 11.

  • cubuffscubuffs Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 5:01pm #11

    My son is 14 and moved to a Epic Subzero 9 degree with Evenflow Green 55 stiff. Has absolutely killed the driver this year, but as his swing speed has increased (103-105 during last lesson), launch and spin were a bit higher then we both would like. Just ordered a hazardous smoke Black Stiff 60 that he will be switching to for the fall tournament season. I have the same set up in my driver and after hitting it through a couple rounds, lowered his flight and gave him an extra 5 to 10 yards due to roll out.

    Great thread, look forward to seeing all of the responses.

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    6 YO just starting to play in the 7’s group. Been switching between UL48 and Cobra Jr F8 at 13.5* with a Flynn shaft at 34” long. Got a recoil 440 f0 coming today to see if anything changes. Will report back.

  • GoDeacsGoDeacs Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 5:48pm #13

    My daughter is 7 and using a XR16 13.5 with Flynn shaft. Her miss hits are so much better than the US Kids UL.
    She's currently about 49" tall and still using the 48' US Kids UL irons, hybrid and 3-wood, is it too soon to move her to the 51" TS3's? She's shooting 38-42 at her US Kids local events.

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    @GoDeacs said:
    My daughter is 7 and using a XR16 13.5 with Flynn shaft. Her miss hits are so much better than the US Kids UL.
    She's currently about 49" tall and still using the 48' US Kids UL irons, hybrid and 3-wood, is it too soon to move her to the 51" TS3's? She's shooting 38-42 at her US Kids local events.

    Too early for TS3’s because they’re long. But if she has the ability to shoot 38-42, I’d put her in Flynn’s Alto series for irons and wedges (woods too if you don’t want to go OEM). They’ll be able to make a set for her 49” height.

    I just went through this whole process a few months ago with my 6 YO son. I actually bought a full iron and wedge set of TS3’s and Flynn’s to compare. 51” is definitely too long right now.

  • cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

    My boy is 7, XR16 head 13.5 with Flynn shaft at US Kids TS3 length this year. Previously had used a cut down Mitsubishi Diamana 50 L Flex shaft. Flynn shaft has been great so far, extra length and lighter weight has meant hes had a much better ball flight and pretty good control. We are now using the Mitsubishi in his Epic Heavenwood set at 20 degrees, no issues with this and has been a huge improvement over the TS3 3 wood that was in the bag previously. Soon to trial a Cobra F7 ladies hybrid as well.

  • cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

    @Kcct82 said:
    6 YO just starting to play in the 7’s group. Been switching between UL48 and Cobra Jr F8 at 13.5* with a Flynn shaft at 34” long. Got a recoil 440 f0 coming today to see if anything changes. Will report back.

    How do you find the driver? I found one at a really good price but wondered if it would be much better than the XR16 he has now.

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    @cellywratt said:

    @Kcct82 said:
    6 YO just starting to play in the 7’s group. Been switching between UL48 and Cobra Jr F8 at 13.5* with a Flynn shaft at 34” long. Got a recoil 440 f0 coming today to see if anything changes. Will report back.

    How do you find the driver? I found one at a really good price but wondered if it would be much better than the XR16 he has now.

    I doubt the Cobra will be much better than the XR. To be honest, the only difference I see between the USKG UL48 and Cobra/Flynn combo is the off center performance. The total distance is about the same because his swing speed is too slow to make a difference.
    Also, be careful with the f7 women hybrid, it’s heavy as **** compared to the driver and woods. It does not belong in a 6-7 YO’s bag. Ask me how i know LOL...

  • cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

    @Kcct82 said:

    @cellywratt said:

    @Kcct82 said:
    6 YO just starting to play in the 7’s group. Been switching between UL48 and Cobra Jr F8 at 13.5* with a Flynn shaft at 34” long. Got a recoil 440 f0 coming today to see if anything changes. Will report back.

    How do you find the driver? I found one at a really good price but wondered if it would be much better than the XR16 he has now.

    I doubt the Cobra will be much better than the XR. To be honest, the only difference I see between the USKG UL48 and Cobra/Flynn combo is the off center performance. The total distance is about the same because his swing speed is too slow to make a difference.
    Also, be careful with the f7 women hybrid, it’s heavy as **** compared to the driver and woods. It does not belong in a 6-7 YO’s bag. Ask me how i know LOL...

    I figured as much, will stick with the XR16 for now!
    I thought the same with the Hybrid, i've warned my boy that he might find it tough. Hoping to have it to try this week, he has a big US kids event coming up in 5 weeks so not time to be tinkering too much.
    Your boys bag looks awesome! I'll show my boy and he will be very jealous!
    Here's what mine has! and a little video showing the driver in action :)

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-sMsWrumHO1MGW2-BYNgGot9KUXtfdHm

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    @cellywratt said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @cellywratt said:

    @Kcct82 said:
    6 YO just starting to play in the 7’s group. Been switching between UL48 and Cobra Jr F8 at 13.5* with a Flynn shaft at 34” long. Got a recoil 440 f0 coming today to see if anything changes. Will report back.

    How do you find the driver? I found one at a really good price but wondered if it would be much better than the XR16 he has now.

    I doubt the Cobra will be much better than the XR. To be honest, the only difference I see between the USKG UL48 and Cobra/Flynn combo is the off center performance. The total distance is about the same because his swing speed is too slow to make a difference.
    Also, be careful with the f7 women hybrid, it’s heavy as **** compared to the driver and woods. It does not belong in a 6-7 YO’s bag. Ask me how i know LOL...

    I figured as much, will stick with the XR16 for now!
    I thought the same with the Hybrid, i've warned my boy that he might find it tough. Hoping to have it to try this week, he has a big US kids event coming up in 5 weeks so not time to be tinkering too much.
    Your boys bag looks awesome! I'll show my boy and he will be very jealous!
    Here's what mine has! and a little video showing the driver in action :)

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-sMsWrumHO1MGW2-BYNgGot9KUXtfdHm

    Nice clubs too and a good swing in the video. Keep us posted on what your kid thinks of the f7 hybrid.

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    6 year old in an F1 you probably would loose distance unless he is swinging mid 60's - 70

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 6:34pm #23

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Going to echo what others have said. A 6 year old almost certainly does not need anything beyond a junior USKids or Flynn shaft. At 6 years old you are overdoing it a bit thinking about that.

    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    I am in the same boat with my junior. He should be hitting his driver a good 20 yards further but just can't harness what is there all the way just yet. He will occasionally catch one and make us all hold our breath but the vast majority of his drives are underwhelming compared to the distances on his irons.

    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BloctonGolf11 said:

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    I am in the same boat with my junior. He should be hitting his driver a good 20 yards further but just can't harness what is there all the way just yet. He will occasionally catch one and make us all hold our breath but the vast majority of his drives are underwhelming compared to the distances on his irons.

    I feel the same way. We are definitely using older equipment (Fly-Z+ and BioCell heads) and the Cobra Junior shaft (Fujikura Fuel) is certainly not a game changer. I doubt I will make any changes until we start seeing a coach and get their input. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if my kid actually put some effort into the superspeed sticks that we got from a fellow WRX'er last spring. This all speaks to the maturity level and letting him drive his ambitions which vary from day to day.

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 7:23pm #26

    @wildcatden said:

    @BloctonGolf11 said:

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    I am in the same boat with my junior. He should be hitting his driver a good 20 yards further but just can't harness what is there all the way just yet. He will occasionally catch one and make us all hold our breath but the vast majority of his drives are underwhelming compared to the distances on his irons.

    I feel the same way. We are definitely using older equipment (Fly-Z+ and BioCell heads) and the Cobra Junior shaft (Fujikura Fuel) is certainly not a game changer. I doubt I will make any changes until we start seeing a coach and get their input. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if my kid actually put some effort into the superspeed sticks that we got from a fellow WRX'er last spring. This all speaks to the maturity level and letting him drive his ambitions which vary from day to day.

    Mine has the drive honestly as golf is his primary passion and his coach agrees it is just a matter of time. They are working on angle of attack and some other things with him but don't want to rush things and mess up his swing. Last round his 7 drives were 170, 160 (uphill), 140, 140, 140, 160, and 140 (major uphill). If he could get the 170 consistent it would help his scores a lot. I don't think equipment is the culprit with him, I just don't think he has quite developed the "driver" swing yet.

    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BloctonGolf11 said:

    @wildcatden said:

    @BloctonGolf11 said:

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    I am in the same boat with my junior. He should be hitting his driver a good 20 yards further but just can't harness what is there all the way just yet. He will occasionally catch one and make us all hold our breath but the vast majority of his drives are underwhelming compared to the distances on his irons.

    I feel the same way. We are definitely using older equipment (Fly-Z+ and BioCell heads) and the Cobra Junior shaft (Fujikura Fuel) is certainly not a game changer. I doubt I will make any changes until we start seeing a coach and get their input. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if my kid actually put some effort into the superspeed sticks that we got from a fellow WRX'er last spring. This all speaks to the maturity level and letting him drive his ambitions which vary from day to day.

    Mine has the drive honestly as golf is his primary passion and his coach agrees it is just a matter of time. They are working on angle of attack and some other things with him but don't want to rush things and mess up his swing. Last round his 7 drives were 170, 160 (uphill), 140, 140, 140, 160, and 140 (major uphill). If he could get the 170 consistent it would help his scores a lot. I don't think equipment is the culprit with him, I just don't think he has quite developed the "driver" swing yet.

    Our juniors are playing the same game. There's an app called Trajectoware Drive 1.0 ( http://forum.trajectoware.com/app.php/home .... look for download section at http://forum.trajectoware.com/app.php/dlext/?view=detail&df_id=1&sid=f8ba8d66b234cba7692cada04a90de42 ) that I use to play around with the numbers. The top 3 things that would help my kid are:

    1. Newer equipment that is perhaps professionally fitted (driver head/shaft)
    2. More clubhead speed
    3. And more clubhead speed ;)

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

    The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

    Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

    Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

    Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

    I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

    I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 8:40pm #29

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:

    @Kcct82 said:

    @wildcatden said:
    Updating mine after a week of testing a friend's Recoil ES440 F1 shaft:

    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + BioCell Junior head (early 2019) - Good ball flight but not enough roll
    Cobra Junior 39" shaft (basically a Fujikura Fuel shaft) + Fly-Z+ adult head (mid 2019) - Good ball flight plus roll
    UST Recoil ES440 F1 shaft + Fly-Z+ adult head (current 2019) - Too early to tell -- ES440 F1 is to much flex. ES440 at F2 flex (or ES450 at F2 flex) would probably be a better fit.

    Note: Junior is 8YO boy

    How far does your kid carry with his driver? I’m about to try the recoil es 440 f1 on my 6YO. He only carries the ball 80 yards, do u think the f1 will be a good flex for him? Thanks

    Carry is usually around 125-130 yards, maybe 135-40 if he has a better swing. Driver clubhead speed is between 68-72mph as of a couple weeks ago. He really needs some lessons with a pro on driver because I feel he leaves a lot of yardage on the table due to AoA and Dynamic Loft being off (too low). The current Fly-Z+ driver is 12* head. The BioCell is a junior driver head at 14*. And like a lot of juniors, his swing leaks power like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil.

    At 6YO, I found a used TS51 Driver for $10 at the local golf mart for my kid. Hit that club great. IMHO, I doubt a 6YO needs a Recoil shaft of any flavor, but to each their own. We also used Flynn JR1 shafts on the driver in the past, but he just couldn't swing that shaft well. Currently, we have the Flynn shafts on the 3W and 5W, but we are in need of an upgrade soon.

    Hi, thanks so much for your input and experience!

    The recoil is actually part of my on going quest to lighten my kid’s driver/fairway/hybrid clubs. The recoil came yesterday and I weighted it against the current Flynn JR1 shaft and stock 39” cobra shaft from the Jr F8 driver.

    Full length (44”~) women’s recoil 440 f1 with Winn grip and Callaway adapter: 101g

    Stock Cobra jr 39” with cobra adapter and grip: 105g

    Flynn JR1 Velocity CUT to 34” finished length with cobra adapter and golf pride jr grip: 94g

    I’m pretty sure chopping off 10” or so from the butt end of the recoil will bring it down at least 10g, and the Jr. Winn grip should be another 10g less than the women’s. Assuming the Callaway and Cobra adapters are about the same weight, I think I’ll be able to save 15g or so. I also got M5 nylon screws to replace the stainless steel adjustable weight screws on the bottom.

    I’m not really doing this to give my kid an advantage in golf. I just got a really bad case of audiophile syndrome and can’t stop tinkering with **** LOL.

    Haha, I understand. If money is no object, get the Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 29 in Lite Flex - https://www.mca-golf.com/products/grand-bassara™ - It weighs 32g at 46" long before cutting it down.

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

  • GoDeacsGoDeacs Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about club fitting especially for a junior, but are you guys just chopping of ladies shafts at the needed length or are you having to make any other adjustments to the shaft?

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GoDeacs said:
    I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about club fitting especially for a junior, but are you guys just chopping of ladies shafts at the needed length or are you having to make any other adjustments to the shaft?

    Generally, once your junior gets to a certain swing speed (usually around 65mph) for driver, you can start to look at Ladies Flex. If you understand tip trimming, then you would understand how different clubs are trimmed at the business end and butt cut from the grip end. For example, driver shafts typically have 0" trimmed from the tip and then are butt cut to your desired length. Lots of things to keep in mind such as there is no universal standard for flex, different kickpoints, etc, etc, etc...

    -- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file