GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

ProV1x - Are they all made in Thailand?

spring7 ·  
spring7spring7 Members  767WRX Points: 146Posts: 767 Golden Tee

I know that the Mass. ball plant has been the subject of awe with podcasters and such, but every ProV1X I buy are all made in Thailand - I am not saying these are inferior, just weird that one of their flagship balls are not made at HQ.

Posted:
D:Speedzone Xtreme 9.0*/
3W:917F2 15*/
HYB: 816H1 20*/
2i:U510/
5i-PW New Level 1126/
GW/SW:CBX 51*&55*/
LW;RTX4 60*/
Putter:Mullen 2/Ball:AVX

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members  11910WRX Points: 1,682Posts: 11,910 Titanium Tees

Where are you located?

My yellow 2019 Pro V1x boxes all say MADE IN TITLEIST BALL PLANT 3 USA. I live on the east coast of the USA so maybe if you live other parts of the world you get balls made in a different factory?

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • spring7spring7 Members  767WRX Points: 146Posts: 767 Golden Tee

On -, @North Butte said:

Where are you located?

My yellow 2019 Pro V1x boxes all say MADE IN TITLEIST BALL PLANT 3 USA. I live on the east coast of the USA so maybe if you live other parts of the world you get balls made in a different factory?

Cleveland, Ohio hmmm

Posted:
    5i-PW New Level 1126/
    LW;RTX4 60*/

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members  6087WRX Points: 449Posts: 6,087 Titanium Tees

Where are you buying them from? Green grass, big box, or online?

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2844WRX Points: 1,007Posts: 2,844 Titanium Tees

Their tour balls are all from USA. Maybe the guys who went to the trip can answer

Posted:
  • 2012BFT2012BFT Members  626WRX Points: 122Posts: 626 Golden Tee

Mine are usually a mixed bag over the years... lately (I haven't bought many balls recently) but the ones I have gotten seem to all be USA now.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
    Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
    Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
    Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Titleist Pro-V1x
  • titleistektitleistek Members  91WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Posts: 91 Fairways

Got some from big box store: USA

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 2+ WinnipegClubWRX  10329WRX Points: 1,248Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,329 ClubWRX

On -, @spring7 said:

I know that the Mass. ball plant has been the subject of awe with podcasters and such, but every ProV1X I buy are all made in Thailand - I am not saying these are inferior, just weird that one of their flagship balls are not made at HQ.

It seems like they make different lines at different plants. For example, all out ProV1's and AVX come from Plant 3. Velocities and TruSoft come from Plant 2. It only makes sense to have a plant in the Asian Rim to take advantage of the demand there and to save on some shipping and tariff costs.
    Rest assured, that Titleist has the exact same components and QA taking place as the NA plants. Depending on timing and demands, you can expect products to come from any plant in any country.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• North ButteNorth Butte Members  11910WRX Points: 1,682Posts: 11,910 Titanium Tees

My surmise would be that some Asian market Pro V1x (made in Thailand) must have found their way into a USA retailer's inventory by some path or another. Whether by gray market or by Titleist redirecting inventory to accommodate unexpected demand patterns.

If they have a factory in Thailand and one in Massachusetts, it wouldn't make sense for the normal procedure to involve shipping Asian production literally halfway around the world to be sold a few hundred miles from their USA facility.

I seem to recall seeing a box of Pro V1 in the distant past that said Made in Thailand but at least since 2013 or so every box I've had was from the USA factory.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 2+ WinnipegClubWRX  10329WRX Points: 1,248Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,329 ClubWRX

There are 3 plants in Eastern USA. I would imagine while one plant re-tools for a new model, the other plants take up the slack on the current line.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

On -, @Llortamaisey said:

Dicks mainly, I have also bought dozens off Amazon. I will see what my course sells.

As far as the tariffs etc., the money they save in labor over "made in USA versions", probably outweighs the shipping, tariffs and I would bet that their profit margin is greater.

Posted:
    5i-PW New Level 1126/
    LW;RTX4 60*/

On -, @spring7 said:

Dicks mainly, I have also bought dozens off Amazon. I will see what my course sells.

As far as the tariffs etc., the money they save in labor over "made in USA versions", probably outweighs the shipping, tariffs and I would bet that their profit margin is greater.

If that were the determining factor, they'd make them all in Thailand. Or some place even cheaper.

Obviously, Titleist doesn't chase the lowest possible manufacturing costs or they wouldn't have multiple production lines in the People's Republic of Massachusetts!

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

Advertisement

I was talking about tariffs and duties that other countries charge for US goods coming into their country. There might be significant cost savings importing them into Asian countries from another Asian country. Hence a reason to open a plant in Thailand.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

On -, @Socrates said:

I was talking about tariffs and duties that other countries charge for US goods coming into their country. There might be significant cost savings importing them into Asian countries from another Asian country. Hence a reason to open a plant in Thailand.

gotcha

Posted:
    5i-PW New Level 1126/
    LW;RTX4 60*/

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members  1111WRX Points: 349Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees

On -, @Socrates said:

There are 3 plants in Eastern USA. I would imagine while one plant re-tools for a new model, the other plants take up the slack on the current line.

They don't "re-tool" for anything. Same tooling, different marketing...

Posted:
    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green Anniversary 65TX
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla 2KXV Green 75X
    Nike VR Pro Combo 2-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X

I believe the split between the Massachusets factories mostly depends on type of construction. Urethane vs. ionomer and so forth. The equipment for cast thermoset urethane is pretty specialized and it wouldn't make sense to spread it around any more than necessary. The equipment for ionomer covered two-piece balls is pretty basic and generic by comparison.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Allergic2BirdiesAllergic2Birdies Members  91WRX Points: 51Posts: 91 Fairways

Most boxes say ball plant 3 at the store i work at

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Hack Daddy said:

On -, @Socrates said:

They don't "re-tool" for anything. Same tooling, different marketing...

You should cut apart a few generations of ProV’s. From yr to yr, they are different in many ways. It even surprised me.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

• FilipposhkaFilipposhka Members  11WRX Points: 11Posts: 11 Bunkers

I also wrote that it is made in Ohio

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4056WRX Points: 410Handicap: 7Posts: 4,056 Titanium Tees

I have four dozen 2019 ProV1X's and just looked at the boxes. They all say made in ball plant 4 Thailand. They were purchased at either Dicks or Golf galaxy at various times this year. I'm in the DC area.

Posted:
    Post edited by cristphoto on
  • deepreddeepred Members  381WRX Points: 112Handicap: 12Posts: 381 Greens

I’ve never seen a box from Thailand and I won’t ever buy one that doesn’t say made in USA.
    If it is made in Asia I might as well save a few bucks and buy from a competitor .

Posted:
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet
  • inertiamonsterinertiamonster Members  528WRX Points: 95Posts: 528 Golden Tee

To chime in on this:

• Titleist has 3 functioning ball plants globally
    • Ball plant 1 in Mass. no longer makes balls, it is now where their personalization department and their gear (bags, hats, gloves, etc) design teams are
    • Ball plant 2 in Mass. makes all of the single core surlyn covered balls
    • Ball plant 3 in Mass. is where all multi-layer urethane balls are made for North America, they also make the dual cores for the Japanese VG3 balls which are the only non-urethane dual core balls they make
    • Ball plant 4 is the one in Thailand, it is essentially identical to ball plant 3 making multi layer urethane balls for Asia and some other parts of the world
      They can and will use plants 3 and 4 to take up slack in other parts of the world if needed which is why there will periodically be balls from plant 4 in North America.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members  3311WRX Points: 420Posts: 3,311 Titanium Tees

It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading about this very topic. According to Fila, the Thailand plant #4 is used primarily to service balls to the western US. (ProV1/Vx). Most stores in the western US will have the plant 4 Thailand sticker on it. Not every single dozen but most, in general. People in the Midwest and East coast primarily get their balls from plant 3.

Posted:
  • Bad9Bad9 Members  4847WRX Points: 722Handicap: 9.2Posts: 4,847 Titanium Tees

On -, @spring7 said:

How much labour is involved in making golf balls nowadays? Is it enough to make a difference?

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 6-U/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • Zen_GolferZen_Golfer Columbus, OHMembers  365WRX Points: 238Handicap: 10Posts: 365 Greens

I recently got a dozen from Target that were made in Thailand. It really didnt seem to matter much. They played just like any other Pro V1x Ive ever used.

Posted:
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MDMembers  582WRX Points: 162Posts: 582 Golden Tee

My last few dozen of ProV1's at my Club are from Thailand.

Posted:
    • SIM 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore 7X 
    • SIM Ti 3W -  Ventus Blue Velocore 8X
    • P770 3I - ADDI 95X
    • P7MC 4-PW - TI X100
    • MG2  52 & 58 - TI S400
    • Spider X 
    • 19' TP5
  • ryanarnesonryanarneson Members  135WRX Points: 115Posts: 135 Fairways

Ball Plant 3. Bought with the Buy 3 Get 1 spring promotion with custom personalization from my club in Colorado.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.