Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

ProV1x - Are they all made in Thailand?

spring7spring7 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that the Mass. ball plant has been the subject of awe with podcasters and such, but every ProV1X I buy are all made in Thailand - I am not saying these are inferior, just weird that one of their flagship balls are not made at HQ.

D:Titleist TS3 10.5* Speeder 757 Evolution TS
3W/5W: Taylor Made RBZ Tour 14* & 18* Matrix Ozik 
Irons: Mizuno HM 4-5/HMP 6-PW Recoil 95 
Wedges: Wilson PMP 52*/56*/60*
Ping Redwood Anser

Comments

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Where are you located?

    My yellow 2019 Pro V1x boxes all say MADE IN TITLEIST BALL PLANT 3 USA. I live on the east coast of the USA so maybe if you live other parts of the world you get balls made in a different factory?

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @North Butte said:
    Where are you located?

    My yellow 2019 Pro V1x boxes all say MADE IN TITLEIST BALL PLANT 3 USA. I live on the east coast of the USA so maybe if you live other parts of the world you get balls made in a different factory?

    Cleveland, Ohio hmmm

    D:Titleist TS3 10.5* Speeder 757 Evolution TS
    3W/5W: Taylor Made RBZ Tour 14* & 18* Matrix Ozik 
    Irons: Mizuno HM 4-5/HMP 6-PW Recoil 95 
    Wedges: Wilson PMP 52*/56*/60*
    Ping Redwood Anser

  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Where are you buying them from? Green grass, big box, or online?

  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Their tour balls are all from USA. Maybe the guys who went to the trip can answer

  • 2012BFT2012BFT Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mine are usually a mixed bag over the years... lately (I haven't bought many balls recently) but the ones I have gotten seem to all be USA now.

    PING G400 LST w/ PX HC EF 65g 6.5
    PING G410 LST 3w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
    Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
    Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Titleist Pro-V1x
  • titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

    Got some from big box store: USA

  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

    @spring7 said:
    I know that the Mass. ball plant has been the subject of awe with podcasters and such, but every ProV1X I buy are all made in Thailand - I am not saying these are inferior, just weird that one of their flagship balls are not made at HQ.

    It seems like they make different lines at different plants. For example, all out ProV1's and AVX come from Plant 3. Velocities and TruSoft come from Plant 2. It only makes sense to have a plant in the Asian Rim to take advantage of the demand there and to save on some shipping and tariff costs.
    Rest assured, that Titleist has the exact same components and QA taking place as the NA plants. Depending on timing and demands, you can expect products to come from any plant in any country.

    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    My surmise would be that some Asian market Pro V1x (made in Thailand) must have found their way into a USA retailer's inventory by some path or another. Whether by gray market or by Titleist redirecting inventory to accommodate unexpected demand patterns.

    If they have a factory in Thailand and one in Massachusetts, it wouldn't make sense for the normal procedure to involve shipping Asian production literally halfway around the world to be sold a few hundred miles from their USA facility.

    I seem to recall seeing a box of Pro V1 in the distant past that said Made in Thailand but at least since 2013 or so every box I've had was from the USA factory.

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

    There are 3 plants in Eastern USA. I would imagine while one plant re-tools for a new model, the other plants take up the slack on the current line.

    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Llortamaisey said:
    Where are you buying them from? Green grass, big box, or online?

    Dicks mainly, I have also bought dozens off Amazon. I will see what my course sells.

    As far as the tariffs etc., the money they save in labor over "made in USA versions", probably outweighs the shipping, tariffs and I would bet that their profit margin is greater.

    D:Titleist TS3 10.5* Speeder 757 Evolution TS
    3W/5W: Taylor Made RBZ Tour 14* & 18* Matrix Ozik 
    Irons: Mizuno HM 4-5/HMP 6-PW Recoil 95 
    Wedges: Wilson PMP 52*/56*/60*
    Ping Redwood Anser

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 5:42pm #12

    @spring7 said:

    @Llortamaisey said:
    Where are you buying them from? Green grass, big box, or online?

    Dicks mainly, I have also bought dozens off Amazon. I will see what my course sells.

    As far as the tariffs etc., the money they save in labor over "made in USA versions", probably outweighs the shipping, tariffs and I would bet that their profit margin is greater.

    If that were the determining factor, they'd make them all in Thailand. Or some place even cheaper.

    Obviously, Titleist doesn't chase the lowest possible manufacturing costs or they wouldn't have multiple production lines in the People's Republic of Massachusetts!

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

    I was talking about tariffs and duties that other countries charge for US goods coming into their country. There might be significant cost savings importing them into Asian countries from another Asian country. Hence a reason to open a plant in Thailand.

    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Socrates said:
    I was talking about tariffs and duties that other countries charge for US goods coming into their country. There might be significant cost savings importing them into Asian countries from another Asian country. Hence a reason to open a plant in Thailand.

    gotcha

    D:Titleist TS3 10.5* Speeder 757 Evolution TS
    3W/5W: Taylor Made RBZ Tour 14* & 18* Matrix Ozik 
    Irons: Mizuno HM 4-5/HMP 6-PW Recoil 95 
    Wedges: Wilson PMP 52*/56*/60*
    Ping Redwood Anser

  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Socrates said:
    There are 3 plants in Eastern USA. I would imagine while one plant re-tools for a new model, the other plants take up the slack on the current line.

    They don't "re-tool" for anything. Same tooling, different marketing...

    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe the split between the Massachusets factories mostly depends on type of construction. Urethane vs. ionomer and so forth. The equipment for cast thermoset urethane is pretty specialized and it wouldn't make sense to spread it around any more than necessary. The equipment for ionomer covered two-piece balls is pretty basic and generic by comparison.

    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • DelPonchoDelPoncho Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

    Most boxes say ball plant 3 at the store i work at

  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,537 ClubWRX

    @Hack Daddy said:

    @Socrates said:
    There are 3 plants in Eastern USA. I would imagine while one plant re-tools for a new model, the other plants take up the slack on the current line.

    They don't "re-tool" for anything. Same tooling, different marketing...

    You should cut apart a few generations of ProV’s. From yr to yr, they are different in many ways. It even surprised me.

    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

  • FilipposhkaFilipposhka Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

    I also wrote that it is made in Ohio

  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have four dozen 2019 ProV1X's and just looked at the boxes. They all say made in ball plant 4 Thailand. They were purchased at either Dicks or Golf galaxy at various times this year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file