Junior Wedges

yellowlover519

Just curious how everyone is shafting junior wedges (under the age of 13). My son has played adult wedges since age 9, but I had matched his shaft with his irons. This go around, I went heavier at a recommendation of a fitter. So far, the results have been disappointing. He’s gained yardage on his irons (same lofts as previous irons) but has lost 10 yards per wedge in full shots (same lofts as previous wedges). Any thoughts on this? Am thinking that he may have to match similar iron shafts and even soft step the shafts — can’t otherwise explain the distance loss.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is 12 and plays the Cleveland ladies wedges. They have a lighter head than the men's version and come with a graphite shaft. The head weight and shaft are the key for her because going to heavy can cause issues. We tried the Cleveland junior wedges but they were just too heavy for her. Most of the men's wedges are now coming with a basic "wedge flex" so I don't know what all you can change. I would just check the weight of your son's wedges and make sure they aren't to heavy for him.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> My daughter is 12 and plays the Cleveland ladies wedges. They have a lighter head than the men's version and come with a graphite shaft. The head weight and shaft are the key for her because going to heavy can cause issues. We tried the Cleveland junior wedges but they were just too heavy for her. Most of the men's wedges are now coming with a basic "wedge flex" so I don't know what all you can change. I would just check the weight of your son's wedges and make sure they aren't to heavy for him.

I called Cleveland last week to get more detail on weights compared to junior wedges and the rep told me that the heads (men’s, ladies, and juniors ) are all the same exact weight...it’s just the shafts that are different. I’ve received conflicting info from different reps at the same company before, so who knows.

> @hangontight said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > My daughter is 12 and plays the Cleveland ladies wedges. They have a lighter head than the men's version and come with a graphite shaft. The head weight and shaft are the key for her because going to heavy can cause issues. We tried the Cleveland junior wedges but they were just too heavy for her. Most of the men's wedges are now coming with a basic "wedge flex" so I don't know what all you can change. I would just check the weight of your son's wedges and make sure they aren't to heavy for him.

>

> I called Cleveland last week to get more detail on weights compared to junior wedges and the rep told me that the heads (men’s, ladies, and juniors ) are all the same exact weight...it’s just the shafts that are different. I’ve received conflicting info from different reps at the same company before, so who knows.

I've heard that exact same information before. Only way to know is get some GolfWRX to pull heads and put them on a scale, who is down?

> @hangontight said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > My daughter is 12 and plays the Cleveland ladies wedges. They have a lighter head than the men's version and come with a graphite shaft. The head weight and shaft are the key for her because going to heavy can cause issues. We tried the Cleveland junior wedges but they were just too heavy for her. Most of the men's wedges are now coming with a basic "wedge flex" so I don't know what all you can change. I would just check the weight of your son's wedges and make sure they aren't to heavy for him.

>

> I called Cleveland last week to get more detail on weights compared to junior wedges and the rep told me that the heads (men’s, ladies, and juniors ) are all the same exact weight...it’s just the shafts that are different. I’ve received conflicting info from different reps at the same company before, so who knows.

That is interesting. I have always been told that they are lighter. My daughter is small for her age and she has no problem with the wedges. Maybe it is just the graphite shaft making it that much lighter. The Cleveland junior wedge was way too heavy for her when we tried that.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

My daughter plays all Cobra stuff and I would have never expected that. I just thought the weight on the back of club was lighter on the womens head than the mens. I just checked and you are right. That is interesting to note.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

>

> My daughter plays all Cobra stuff and I would have never expected that. I just thought the weight on the back of club was lighter on the womens head than the mens. I just checked and you are right. That is interesting to note.

Yep, only reason my son played Cobra women's heads on Flynn shafts was because of how cheap you can get women's stuff compared to men's. Told him it was a very manly turquoise paint....

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> >

> > My daughter plays all Cobra stuff and I would have never expected that. I just thought the weight on the back of club was lighter on the womens head than the mens. I just checked and you are right. That is interesting to note.

>

> Yep, only reason my son played Cobra women's heads on Flynn shafts was because of how cheap you can get women's stuff compared to men's. Told him it was a very manly turquoise paint....

Yup, that’s the way to save, I got my kid the turquoise f7 fairway/hybrid heads brand new for less than used.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > >

> > > My daughter plays all Cobra stuff and I would have never expected that. I just thought the weight on the back of club was lighter on the womens head than the mens. I just checked and you are right. That is interesting to note.

> >

> > Yep, only reason my son played Cobra women's heads on Flynn shafts was because of how cheap you can get women's stuff compared to men's. Told him it was a very manly turquoise paint....

>

> Yup, that’s the way to save, I got my kid the turquoise f7 fairway/hybrid heads brand new for less than used.

Yep, he is rocking the baby blue F6 Fairway and Hybrid I got for $50 each. Reminded him the high school he is most likely going to uses Columbia blue. We paintfilled the pink on his Cleveland ladies wedges to match his orange irons.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> @BertGA said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

>

> Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> >

> > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

>

> My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

Not surprising, the Tour Issue stuff is built to spec and a lot of times is lighter to add hot melt.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> >

> > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

>

> My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

> @BertGA said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > >

> > > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> >

> > My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

>

> I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

>

> TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

>

>

> https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

>

Yeah you said Tour Issue so I thought you meant legit Tour Issue. The tour model is indeed lighter due to only being 435 cc.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > > >

> > > > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> > >

> > > My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

> >

> > I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

> >

> > TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

> >

> >

> > https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

> >

>

> Yeah you said Tour Issue so I thought you meant legit Tour Issue. The tour model is indeed lighter due to only being 435 cc.

It is a legit tour issued club. 460cc.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > > > >

> > > > > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> > > >

> > > > My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

> > >

> > > I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

> > >

> > > TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

> > >

> > >

> > > https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

> > >

> >

> > Yeah you said Tour Issue so I thought you meant legit Tour Issue. The tour model is indeed lighter due to only being 435 cc.

>

> It is a legit tour issued club. 460cc.

I just realized two different people posted the comments on the M5....it's been a long day fellas....

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> > > > >

> > > > > My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

> > > >

> > > > I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

> > > >

> > > > TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

> > > >

> > >

> > > Yeah you said Tour Issue so I thought you meant legit Tour Issue. The tour model is indeed lighter due to only being 435 cc.

> >

> > It is a legit tour issued club. 460cc.

>

> I just realized two different people posted the comments on the M5....it's been a long day fellas....

Yeah, lot of threads to follow, huh? :D

> @BertGA said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > > > Typically I have always been told by reps that all heads are same weight regardless of women's or men's models. This includes basically all brands. I know for a fact the Cobra fairway and hybrid heads are the same weight, just different paint schemes.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Agree. Bought an M2 driver "ladies". It's the exact same head as mens.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My buddy got a tour issue M5 and the head is lighter than what you can buy in retail.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m not sure that is a Tour Issue M5, per se.

> > > > >

> > > > > TM makes an M5 Tour Driver that is 435 cc. Anyone can buy it. That would explain the lighter head.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.taylormadegolf.com/M5-Tour-Driver/DW-JJI03.html?lang=default

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Yeah you said Tour Issue so I thought you meant legit Tour Issue. The tour model is indeed lighter due to only being 435 cc.

> > >

> > > It is a legit tour issued club. 460cc.

> >

> > I just realized two different people posted the comments on the M5....it's been a long day fellas....

>

> Yeah, lot of threads to follow, huh? :D

That and just a long day of juvenile shenanigans