Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Lessons northern Illinois

Silentbob6Silentbob6 Members Posts: 3
edited Sep 10, 2019 6:49pm in Instruction & Academy #1

Anyone know of a good place to get lessons from in northeast Illinois? Particularly McHenry county?i live in Marengo. I used to go to golf shack in Rockford when I was in high school but looking for somewhere a little closer. I’m a 13 handicap in my 9 hole league. Just looking to get better
Thanks, Brandon

Comments

• rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im from Oshkosh, Wi and closest/best is Dan Carraher down in Jackson Fl :)

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,965 ClubWRX

@Silentbob6 said:
    Anyone know of a good place to get lessons from in northeast Illinois? Particularly McHenry county?i live in Marengo. I used to go to golf shack in Rockford when I was in high school but looking for somewhere a little closer. I’m a 13 handicap in my 9 hole league. Just looking to get better
    Thanks, Brandon

Brandon you're not terribly far from Todd Sones in Vernon Hills who is one of the best instructors in the Chicago area. He's a bit pricey but produces. Good luck!

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rich s said:

Ha, yeah, exactly. But he's only a click away through the internet!

• Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

@Silentbob6 said:
    Thanks, Brandon

Brandon you're not terribly far from Todd Sones in Vernon Hills who is one of the best instructors in the Chicago area. He's a bit pricey but produces. Good luck!

I tried Todd Sones for a lesson and he wanted me to change my setup. He wanted me to do the weirdest thing ever which wasn't needed. I look back on the video analysis now and before the change I looked like Tiger woods in 97. I'm not kidding you on this, he wanted me to pull back my shoulder blades for a straight upper back. Pulling my shoulder blades back was the weirdest feeling and most weird thing any instructor ever asked me to do, it felt like I couldn't reach down to the ball, let alone swing. It ruined the entire lesson pretty much because I lost any trust in him after that. So because of that I wouldn't go to him, it was a worthless change and he charges alot.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,965 ClubWRX

@Redjeep83 said:

@DavePelz4 said:

@Silentbob6 said:
    Thanks, Brandon

I tried Todd Sones for a lesson and he wanted me to change my setup. He wanted me to do the weirdest thing ever which wasn't needed. I look back on the video analysis now and before the change I looked like Tiger woods in 97. I'm not kidding you on this, he wanted me to pull back my shoulder blades for a straight upper back. Pulling my shoulder blades back was the weirdest feeling and most weird thing any instructor ever asked me to do, it felt like I couldn't reach down to the ball, let alone swing. It ruined the entire lesson pretty much because I lost any trust in him after that. So because of that I wouldn't go to him, it was a worthless change and he charges alot.

Wow...can't blame you for moving on.

• Silentbob6Silentbob6 Members Posts: 3

Thanks for the replies everyone. Doesn’t need to be the best. I haven’t been playing as much since I had my first kid and just feel like I need a couple lessons to get my swing back

• CMCSGolfCMCSGolf Members Posts: 568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to see Robert Powers at Pine Meadows for two summers (2015-2016) and I thought he was a good teacher. Didn't change too much, but was passionate about the craft and cared about my game. Wasn't too expensive either.

• rygrovesrygroves Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

Dude go see Jake Thurm in Downers Grove. https://www.jakethurm.com/
    He's great, not too expensive, has 3 kids so knows what it's like to work on game with little ones.

• gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. Des MoinesMembers Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rich s said:

UW Oshkosh grad here. Go Titans!

• rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@games said:

@rich s said:

UW Oshkosh grad here. Go Titans!

YEAH MAN!!

• ggproggpro Members Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Silentbob6 said:
    Thanks, Brandon

Bill Abrams at Balmoral Woods (south side of Chicago)....very good!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file