Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Greg Norman WITB 1996 Masters

Hi,
Does anyone know the clubs Greg Norman used during the 1996 Masters tournament? I'm 99% certain he was using the rare bore thru adaptation of the King Cobra Deep Face driver with a Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft (very similar to Tiger Woods's 1997 Masters driver) and Cobra Greg Norman Signature Tour Forged irons (as discussed in a previous thread). Can't remember which other woods he had in the bag that week (probably King Cobra)? Don't know which wedges he was using although I'm guessing they were Vokey wedges. I'm also pretty sure he was using a Scotty Cameron putter. His implosion in the final round is still undeniably one of the biggest chokes in sporting history, along with Jordan Speith's 2016 Masters collapse. Just wondering if someone could provide any additional information regarding the clubs that he used that week, or even over the course of the 1996 season?

Thanks.

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Maruman Conductor 3-wood.

Cobra F8+, 10*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Taylor Made Super Launch 22*, stock "R"
    Ping Eye 2 BeCu 4-9, Microlite S
    Vokey 200 Series 52 degree(bent to 50*), DG S-200
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Cleveland CBX 58/10, DG 105
    Evnroll ER6

• mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

One of these. He played it for several years through the 90s until it had an exquisitely worn-in spot in the centre of the face.

• mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Putter was a Ping Anser 2.

edited Sep 11, 2019 7:19pm #5

Norman changed his wedges quite a lot, but I believe one of them was a raw MacGregor blank stamped up with Cobra Greg Norman signature stampings; a wedge design he used a lot through the early/mid 90s. Full disclosure: not my wedge; but this design.

Post edited by mat562 on
  • Metalwood432Metalwood432 Members Posts: 4

Thanks so much for the info. :smile: Interesting how Norman became so attached to that particular 3 wood as you would have expected him to have used a more famous brand i.e. a Titleist 970 due to their popularity on tour around that time or a Callaway War Bird. Used to love these clubs back in the day, how time flies lol.

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That was actually a quite solid 3 wood, I recall going to an old Greater Greensboro Open and seeing Norman, Curtis Strange. and Raymond Flloyd all using same model.

Mizuno MP Craft 611 10* Fuji Motore Speeder 7.1
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 818h1 21* Atmos Blue TS HB 8s
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There was nothing 2nd rate about the Conductor Pro series back then. Norman had good taste.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file