Greg Norman WITB 1996 Masters

Metalwood432 ·  
Metalwood432Metalwood432 David Duval is a legendMembers  68WRX Points: 21Posts: 68 Bunkers

Hi,
Does anyone know the clubs Greg Norman used during the 1996 Masters tournament? I'm 99% certain he was using the rare bore thru adaptation of the King Cobra Deep Face driver with a Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft (very similar to Tiger Woods's 1997 Masters driver) and Cobra Greg Norman Signature Tour Forged irons (as discussed in a previous thread). Can't remember which other woods he had in the bag that week (probably King Cobra)? Don't know which wedges he was using although I'm guessing they were Vokey wedges. I'm also pretty sure he was using a Scotty Cameron putter. His implosion in the final round is still undeniably one of the biggest chokes in sporting history, along with Jordan Speith's 2016 Masters collapse. Just wondering if someone could provide any additional information regarding the clubs that he used that week, or even over the course of the 1996 season?

Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members  3869WRX Points: 461Handicap: 6Posts: 3,869 Titanium Tees

Maruman Conductor 3-wood.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin F2
    Cobra F8+ 17*, VA Composites Raijin F3
    Mizuno CLK 21*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Yonex Super Renkin Tour 4-pw, 24*-47*, S graphite
    Cobra MIM 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
    Ping Eye 2+ SW/LW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35*
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members  10969WRX Points: 199Posts: 10,969 Titanium Tees

One of these. He played it for several years through the 90s until it had an exquisitely worn-in spot in the centre of the face.

Posted:
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members  10969WRX Points: 199Posts: 10,969 Titanium Tees

Putter was a Ping Anser 2.

Posted:

Norman changed his wedges quite a lot, but I believe one of them was a raw MacGregor blank stamped up with Cobra Greg Norman signature stampings; a wedge design he used a lot through the early/mid 90s. Full disclosure: not my wedge; but this design.

Posted:
    Post edited by mat562 on
  • Metalwood432Metalwood432 David Duval is a legend Members  68WRX Points: 21Posts: 68 Bunkers

Thanks so much for the info. :smile: Interesting how Norman became so attached to that particular 3 wood as you would have expected him to have used a more famous brand i.e. a Titleist 970 due to their popularity on tour around that time or a Callaway War Bird. Used to love these clubs back in the day, how time flies lol.

Posted:
  • MitchellMitchell Members  5681WRX Points: 530Posts: 5,681 Titanium Tees

That was actually a quite solid 3 wood, I recall going to an old Greater Greensboro Open and seeing Norman, Curtis Strange. and Raymond Flloyd all using same model.

Posted:
    Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Motore Speeder 7.2s
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* (c2 surefit) Motore Speeder 8.1s
    Titleist 819h1 19* (a2 surefit) Motore Speeder hb 8.8s
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
    Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s300
    Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s300
    Ping Zing2 BeCu 

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3890WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,890 Titanium Tees

There was nothing 2nd rate about the Conductor Pro series back then. Norman had good taste.

Posted:
  • LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers  2007WRX Points: 208Posts: 2,007 Platinum Tees

On -, @mat562 said:

Norman changed his wedges quite a lot, but I believe one of them was a raw MacGregor blank stamped up with Cobra Greg Norman signature stampings; a wedge design he used a lot through the early/mid 90s. Full disclosure: not my wedge; but this design.

Good to see you posting again sir.

Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13883WRX Points: 1,442Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,883 Titanium Tees

On -, @mat562 said:

I recall reading an article where Norman stated he liked going into the tour van and grinding his own wedges.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20334WRX Points: 903Posts: 20,334 Titanium Tees

On -, @mat562 said:

Putter was a Ping Anser 2.

Long time...no see. You back to posting again or just checking in? Anyway...hello!

Posted:

• VNutzVNutz Members  6746WRX Points: 658Posts: 6,746 Titanium Tees

On -, @Metalwood432 said:

Hi,
    Does anyone know the clubs Greg Norman used during the 1996 Masters tournament? I'm 99% certain he was using the rare bore thru adaptation of the King Cobra Deep Face driver with a Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft (very similar to Tiger Woods's 1997 Masters driver) and Cobra Greg Norman Signature Tour Forged irons (as discussed in a previous thread). Can't remember which other woods he had in the bag that week (probably King Cobra)? Don't know which wedges he was using although I'm guessing they were Vokey wedges. I'm also pretty sure he was using a Scotty Cameron putter. His implosion in the final round is still undeniably one of the biggest chokes in sporting history, along with Jordan Speith's 2016 Masters collapse. Just wondering if someone could provide any additional information regarding the clubs that he used that week, or even over the course of the 1996 season?

Thanks.

If you search Getty Images you'll see a number of pictures with his clubs fairly visible. Definitely the Cobra with the bore thru shaft, Ping Anser 2 putter and signature blades. I'm not even sure Vokey wedges were a thing yet at that time.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3890WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,890 Titanium Tees

On -, @VNutz said:

On -, @Metalwood432 said:

Hi,

Thanks.

If..... I'm not even sure Vokey wedges were a thing yet at that time.

The wedge in the Signatures is quite good, he used a 53* & 57* setup I believe.

Posted:
  • Metalwood432Metalwood432 David Duval is a legend Members  68WRX Points: 21Posts: 68 Bunkers

Yeah I've just searched on Getty Images and have found a number of pictures of him using the rare bore thru model. Here's one of him in action during the second round: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/greg-norman-of-australia-tees-off-on-the-first-hole-during-news-photo/1246655

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.