Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 10:22am #3

Assuming steel shafts.

They can be found but not all sources offer .355 weights (e.g. golfworks.com)

For those sources that don't or if you already have them hanging around, the .335 weights will work just fine as well. Just wrap with masking tape to get them snug and avoid any potential rattle.

Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mitchell brass tip weight works good for both .355 and .370 , but can be a tad small in some 0.370 shafts since they are designed for 0.355. i used a drop of epoxy on 2 sides of the tip wgt, no matter tip size to prevent the risk of rattle or noise.

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/product-category/re-shafting/weighting/brass-weights/

• mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. I haven't had to ask this question in a few years. I have gotten very good and independent with building but had a brain ****. If the lead tape doesn't stick, I will be getting tip weights and saving for a winter project

Driver - Cobra King F8 @ 12.5 w Aldila RIP Phenom Tour 70 X flex
    Fairway wood - 2015 Callaway Great Big Bertha 18* w Aldilla NV 75g S shaft
    Hybrid - Adams XTD Super Hybrid @ 22* w White Matrix Ozik Program S shaft
    Irons/Wedges - Ping i25 5-LW w Ping CFS Stiff shafts
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w UST FF shaft @ 33"
    Ball - Wilson 50 Elite Yellow / Callaway Chrome Soft X
    Grips - Champkey AVS Midsize
    Putter Grip: Super Stroke Ultra Slim 1.0

• dwb7272dwb7272 ClubWRX Posts: 1,244 ClubWRX

Maybe try tungsten powder with cork down the shaft. Can be done very easily after club is assembled if you have the steel ram rod to push the cork down. You can get swingweight to come out dead on using this method.

• azoneazone Members Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭

forget the tip weights. tungsten powder, dab of epoxy on cork, ram it down. You want it stable with an exact swing weight, don't you?

• jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to pull the shaft and reuse it for another head, tungsten powder and a cork will make it more difficult. The cork and epoxy will prevent the shaft from going into the hosel properly. The shaft will just push its way out of the hosel. I learned this personally a few years back.

You can pull the tip weight, clean the inside tip of the shaft, and then epoxy it into another head. If you have the grip on it, just poke a hole in the tape the air can escape that way.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,207 ClubWRX

@jah7838 said:
    If you want to pull the shaft and reuse it for another head, tungsten powder and a cork will make it more difficult. The cork and epoxy will prevent the shaft from going into the hosel properly. The shaft will just push its way out of the hosel. I learned this personally a few years back.

You can pull the tip weight, clean the inside tip of the shaft, and then epoxy it into another head. If you have the grip on it, just poke a hole in the tape the air can escape that way.

If you're trying to reuse the grip on the shaft, it isn't much extra work to drill out the cork from the tip.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jll62 said:

@jah7838 said:

If you're trying to reuse the grip on the shaft, it isn't much extra work to drill out the cork from the tip.

If you have the right supplies and the proper workspace, it’s not. I lived in an apartment with limited space and tools. I really only had a dremel and basic shafting supplies. The dremel bits that I had weren’t long enough to get to the cork, so drilling them out wasn’t much of an option at the time. Tip weights are easier for me. I’m not saying that cork and tungsten powder is a bad option. It works just fine.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 19, 2019 8:12am #11

@azone said:
    forget the tip weights. tungsten powder, dab of epoxy on cork, ram it down. You want it stable with an exact swing weight, don't you?

If you have to use epoxy to keep the cork down, you're using the wrong size cork plug.

Nothing wrong with cork and powder - but there is no real benefit of that method over tip weights if the head hasn't been installed yet. At least with steel shafts either are perfectly valid options.

• ScottyGilbertScottyGilbert Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

@jll62 said:

@jah7838 said:

There is always the risk of debris remaining within the shaft and not coming out, meaning either removing the grip or trying to get the piece out through the grip air vent.....personal experience too (although more a problem when cleaning out graphite shaft pulls, that epoxy plug just wants to ride up into the shaft, no matter how carefully I drill it out....)

Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5* Hzrdus smoke 60g 6.0
    Epic Flash 15* Hzrdus smoke 70g 6.0
    Epic 2 / 18* hyrbid AD DI 85s
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Vokey SM6 50-08F, 56-14F, 60-08M  DG S400 ti
    TM Tour Black Spider / Slighter Tacoma (both 33")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file