GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE.

Tip weights into taper tip irons

mvhoffman ·  
mvhoffmanmvhoffman MikeyNEPAMembers  1773WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,773 Platinum Tees

.355 taper tip irons... Ping i25
So should I just use .335 tip weights?

Posted:
Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges - Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Stiff Shaft
                            Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff Shafts
Grips - Golf Pride MCC +4 Standard Blue
Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 33"
Putter Grip - Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104
Ball - Callaway Diablo Tour 3 Piece
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite Stand Bag
Glove - MG DynaGrip Elite 

Comments

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19696WRX Points: 1,745Posts: 19,696 Titanium Tees

Use .355" tip weights.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25546WRX Points: 1,936Posts: 25,546 Titanium Tees

Assuming steel shafts.

They can be found but not all sources offer .355 weights (e.g. golfworks.com)

For those sources that don't or if you already have them hanging around, the .335 weights will work just fine as well. Just wrap with masking tape to get them snug and avoid any potential rattle.

Posted:
    Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11578WRX Points: 2,263Posts: 11,578 Titanium Tees

Mitchell brass tip weight works good for both .355 and .370 , but can be a tad small in some 0.370 shafts since they are designed for 0.355. i used a drop of epoxy on 2 sides of the tip wgt, no matter tip size to prevent the risk of rattle or noise.

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/product-category/re-shafting/weighting/brass-weights/

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1773WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,773 Platinum Tees

Thanks guys. I haven't had to ask this question in a few years. I have gotten very good and independent with building but had a brain ****. If the lead tape doesn't stick, I will be getting tip weights and saving for a winter project

Posted:
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 33"

• dwb7272dwb7272 ClubWRX  1312WRX Points: 117Posts: 1,312 ClubWRX

Maybe try tungsten powder with cork down the shaft. Can be done very easily after club is assembled if you have the steel ram rod to push the cork down. You can get swingweight to come out dead on using this method.

Posted:
  • azoneazone Members  720WRX Points: 104Posts: 720 Golden Tee

forget the tip weights. tungsten powder, dab of epoxy on cork, ram it down. You want it stable with an exact swing weight, don't you?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jah7838jah7838 Members  1329WRX Points: 229Posts: 1,329 Platinum Tees

If you want to pull the shaft and reuse it for another head, tungsten powder and a cork will make it more difficult. The cork and epoxy will prevent the shaft from going into the hosel properly. The shaft will just push its way out of the hosel. I learned this personally a few years back.

You can pull the tip weight, clean the inside tip of the shaft, and then epoxy it into another head. If you have the grip on it, just poke a hole in the tape the air can escape that way.

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Aldila Tour Green 65s or Evenflow White t1100 65s 
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood set to 15* with Aldila 2kxv Blue 7s or Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Proforce V2 7f4
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s or 20* Adams Super Pro with AD DI 95s , 23* Adams Super 9031 S300 (swap with 4 iron on occasion, but the hybrid is usually in the bag)
    Irons: 4 (DG Pro s300), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, and New Level Golf 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2399WRX Points: 703Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,399 ClubWRX

On -, @jah7838 said:

If you want to pull the shaft and reuse it for another head, tungsten powder and a cork will make it more difficult. The cork and epoxy will prevent the shaft from going into the hosel properly. The shaft will just push its way out of the hosel. I learned this personally a few years back.

You can pull the tip weight, clean the inside tip of the shaft, and then epoxy it into another head. If you have the grip on it, just poke a hole in the tape the air can escape that way.

If you're trying to reuse the grip on the shaft, it isn't much extra work to drill out the cork from the tip.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 3, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade P750 4-PW, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy JDay Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • jah7838jah7838 Members  1329WRX Points: 229Posts: 1,329 Platinum Tees

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @jah7838 said:

If you're trying to reuse the grip on the shaft, it isn't much extra work to drill out the cork from the tip.

If you have the right supplies and the proper workspace, it’s not. I lived in an apartment with limited space and tools. I really only had a dremel and basic shafting supplies. The dremel bits that I had weren’t long enough to get to the cork, so drilling them out wasn’t much of an option at the time. Tip weights are easier for me. I’m not saying that cork and tungsten powder is a bad option. It works just fine.

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Aldila Tour Green 65s or Evenflow White t1100 65s 
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood set to 15* with Aldila 2kxv Blue 7s or Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Proforce V2 7f4
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s or 20* Adams Super Pro with AD DI 95s , 23* Adams Super 9031 S300 (swap with 4 iron on occasion, but the hybrid is usually in the bag)
    Irons: 4 (DG Pro s300), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, and New Level Golf 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25546WRX Points: 1,936Posts: 25,546 Titanium Tees

On -, @azone said:

forget the tip weights. tungsten powder, dab of epoxy on cork, ram it down. You want it stable with an exact swing weight, don't you?

If you have to use epoxy to keep the cork down, you're using the wrong size cork plug.

Nothing wrong with cork and powder - but there is no real benefit of that method over tip weights if the head hasn't been installed yet. At least with steel shafts either are perfectly valid options.

Posted:
  • ScottyGilbertScottyGilbert Members  22WRX Points: 61Handicap: 7.3Posts: 22 Bunkers

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @jah7838 said:

There is always the risk of debris remaining within the shaft and not coming out, meaning either removing the grip or trying to get the piece out through the grip air vent.....personal experience too (although more a problem when cleaning out graphite shaft pulls, that epoxy plug just wants to ride up into the shaft, no matter how carefully I drill it out....)

Posted:
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5* Hzrdus smoke 60g 6.0
    TM SIM Ti 15* stock diamana
    Epic 2 / 18* hyrbid AD DI 85s
    Mizuno MP20 4-PW DG S300 Stiff
    Vokey SM6 50-08F, SM7 56-14F, SM7 60-08M  DG S400 ti
    Piretti Potenza ii Rev 2.0 / TM Tour Black Spider / Slighter Tacoma (all 33")

Advertisement
  • m4harrahm4harrah Members  11WRX Points: 37Posts: 11 Bunkers

This might be a dumb question but any issues adding tungsten powder and cork to clubs that already have tip weights to fine tune/add a bit more?

Posted:
  • mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1773WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 1,773 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

For steel shafted clubs, no problem at all. Lead/Tungsten powder down a graphite shaft is generally not a good idea (regardless of whether a tip weight was used or not).

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.