Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Restoring old Ben Hogan Apex II irons / persimmon woods

chandlerdgreggchandlerdgregg Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited Sep 11, 2019 3:00am in WRX Club Techs #1

Just recently become afflicted by the golf bug and found out that my dad's old set of Ben Hogan Apex II's (2i-9i) from 1979 are a hot commodity (and sounds like some of the best irons ever made). Would love to restore the clubs for a classic set but not sure if replacing the stock shafts (stiff) and grips (standard) would ruin the value. He also has a 3 and 4 wood BH persimmon with wrapped hosel / ferrule that are in pretty good condition. Looking to build a classic club set to gift to my dad and they're in great condition overall but don't want to mess them up nor ruin them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• R-FowlerFanPAR-FowlerFanPA Adam Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Post some pics so we can see what you’re working with

• chandlerdgreggchandlerdgregg Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

It's not letting me because I just joined today... backs of clubs are in great shape, faces are in good shape I think, but shafts seem a little beat up. I've heard the Apex shafts are unbelievable so would rather revive them than get new ones, but I'm definitely not a clubmaking veteran.

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value is very subjective, unless these things are unhit in box, the ebay price will be optimally $120 for the irons, regardless of the features or lack thereof.

Apex shafts are very good and very playable. Similar in many regards to dynalite golds; a higher-launch, lighter weight shaft. Try before you pull. If you do pull them, folks on the classics forum will be ready to buy them (like me). They don't come up often.

Not sure what exactly you are asking. Do you want to go full rechrome? Sounds like you don't need it. $30/club usually but will come back looking factory. For the shafts, try turtle wax chrome polish and fine steel wool.

Suggestions for wedges to pair? Look for Sure-Out and Sure-On. For a putter, Id go out of the box and get a more recent Hogan Bettanardi like this:

pm me for more thoughts, and have fun with the project.

Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• CROUSE99CROUSE99 Members Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

I don't think changing the shafts and grips will have much effect on the value of those clubs. You can always keep the old shafts if somehow prices for original sets increase dramatically.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file