GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Houston Courses

cod4101 ·  
cod4101cod4101 Members  328WRX Points: 61Posts: 328 Greens

Hey Guys,

Heading to Houston October 18-22nd.

Looking to play two courses. I am thinking the golf club of Houston plus one more. I am staying near IAH, but am willing to drive an hour plus to play a gem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted:

Comments

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2888WRX Points: 408Posts: 2,888 Titanium Tees

Hmmm.

Golf Club of Houston will be in great condition then post tournament.

My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport. I try and play there weekly. It was in great condition early August before my seven week trip to Scotland. I will play there first week in October when I get back.

Others I try and play. -
    Blackhorse South and North, South is becoming my favourite fo the two as its harder.
    Wildcat Lakes, quirky and fun but seem to only play there for a fun 4 ball.
    GCOH - nice layout, typical open long course, only play if a deal is going but you will get great conditions.

I hate Tour 18 before anyone mentions it. never great condition and quirky again only play there if we have a group thing and I loose out on the say 5+ folk.

Houston has so many little course that I have never played and want to try, these two are next on the list -

Woodforest, near the woodlands.
    The Wilderness, Lake Jackson

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  236WRX Points: 120Handicap: 6.4Posts: 236 Fairways

On the north side of town, Woodforest, Cypresswood Tradition and High Meadow Ranch have each been ranked in the Top 100 in the state recently by the Dallas Morning News. As has the GCOH Tournament course.

Tradition is a mile from the airport.

Wilderness gets a lot of love, but it's at least an hour due South of town, and more than 1.5 hours from IAH.

Posted:

Vote for your favorite Houston public course!

Accessible SE Texas Courses I Would Play Again
    In order of distance from downtown
    Memorial Park (renovated)*
    Gus Wortham (renovated)*
    Cypresswood Tradition*
    Blackhorse South*
    Eagle Pointe*
    Woodforest
    The Wilderness*
    Walden Lake Conroe
    Crown Colony

* - Regular Rotation

Still Need to Try
    Golf Club of Houston
    Blackhorse North
    High Meadow Ranch

• sarmis2sarmis2 Members  16WRX Points: 18Posts: 16 Bunkers

Piggy backing off this thread- has anyone played Cypress Lakes recently?

Posted:
  • AustincountyagAustincountyag Members  240WRX Points: 78Posts: 240 Fairways

Wilderness is awesome IMO. Severely underrated course. I've only played it once because it is a 1 1/2 hr drive for me, but I want to start playing it every few months or so if possible.

Posted:
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX  2313WRX Points: 317Handicap: 15Posts: 2,313 ClubWRX

On -, @Austincountyag said:

Wilderness is awesome IMO. Severely underrated course. I've only played it once because it is a 1 1/2 hr drive for me, but I want to start playing it every few months or so if possible.

Agreed, but a really long haul from IAH area.

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75 S
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 119,  19* & 22*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85S+
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2, 55* & 60*, Accra 80i
    Putter: SC Special Select Newport, 355g, KBS CT Tour, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • tideridertiderider Members  3189WRX Points: 2,212Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,189 Titanium Tees

On -, @scott_Donald said:

Hmmm.

Golf Club of Houston will be in great condition then post tournament.

My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport. I try and play there weekly. It was in great condition early August before my seven week trip to Scotland. I will play there first week in October when I get back.

Others I try and play. -
    Blackhorse South and North, South is becoming my favourite fo the two as its harder.
    Wildcat Lakes, quirky and fun but seem to only play there for a fun 4 ball.
    GCOH - nice layout, typical open long course, only play if a deal is going but you will get great conditions.

I hate Tour 18 before anyone mentions it. never great condition and quirky again only play there if we have a group thing and I loose out on the say 5+ folk.

Houston has so many little course that I have never played and want to try, these two are next on the list -

you will love the Wilderness ...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers  236WRX Points: 120Handicap: 6.4Posts: 236 Fairways

On -, @scott_Donald said:

My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport.

Like you, I love Tradition. Like you, Wilderness and Woodforest are on my list to play.

That said, I have had a ton of fun playing Gus Wortham recently. Check it out sometime.

Posted:

Vote for your favorite Houston public course!

Accessible SE Texas Courses I Would Play Again
    Memorial Park (renovated)*
    Gus Wortham (renovated)*
    Cypresswood Tradition*
    Blackhorse South*
    Eagle Pointe*
    Woodforest
    The Wilderness*
    Walden Lake Conroe
    Crown Colony

* - Regular Rotation

Still Need to Try
    Golf Club of Houston
    Blackhorse North
    High Meadow Ranch

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4964WRX Points: 735Posts: 4,964 Titanium Tees

If you’re willing to drive an hour, play Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu. It is worth the drive. Surprising elevation changes for the area which is notoriously flat, and it is always in great shape. They went through a rough patch early this year, but last time I played it a couple of months ago it was 90% back. I would think by now it is back to tip top shape. Just beware of #16. It’ll ruin a good round in a hurry, lol.

Posted:
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1389WRX Points: 386Handicap: 6.5 and trendingPosts: 1,389 ClubWRX

On -, @bigred90gt said:

If you’re willing to drive an hour, play Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu. It is worth the drive. Surprising elevation changes for the area which is notoriously flat, and it is always in great shape. They went through a rough patch early this year, but last time I played it a couple of months ago it was 90% back. I would think by now it is back to tip top shape. Just beware of #16. It’ll ruin a good round in a hurry, lol.

You are spot on with the above. Great course, typically always in good shape and surprising elevation changes. Was a member there for 13 years, not a private course but the memberships are really cheap if you play a lot of golf.

And definitely right about #16, to me the only stupid hole out there.

I actually heard they were going to shut the course down for a while and change the holes up. I heard that #17 was going to be the new #1 as well as a few other changes.

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
    3 WD -        Taylor Made M6 14* | Atmos Orange Stiff 
    HYBRIDS -  PXG Gen 3 -  2 / 3 / 4 Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    IRONS -      PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -         PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -      Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4964WRX Points: 735Posts: 4,964 Titanium Tees

On -, @SEP1006 said:

On -, @bigred90gt said:

You are spot on with the above. Great course, typically always in good shape and surprising elevation changes. Was a member there for 13 years, not a private course but the memberships are really cheap if you play a lot of golf.

And definitely right about #16, to me the only stupid hole out there.

I actually heard they were going to shut the course down for a while and change the holes up. I heard that #17 was going to be the new #1 as well as a few other changes.

From my understanding talking to Jeff Strong (director of golf I believe now), they were going to rebuild the entire course and completely change the layout. They hired an architect already for the design. He came out and played a round with Jeff and basically told him it was a horrible design, lol. When he got to #16, he said "who ever designed this hole should be shot". The only detail I know of is #1 tee is going to be where #17 tee is currently, but the hole is going to play back toward the rest of the course somehow. I think it's going to play across 16 then up around where 10 green is now. So many rumors, no idea of any truth to any of them.

I joined out there when Evergreen shut down (was a member there for almost 10 years). Stayed at eagle pointe for a couple of years till my wife started playing. It is a long and tough track for a beginner, and we ended up playing mostly out at Chambers County. I was paying the $105/month and only playing out there once a month at most, and several months not at all, so I let it go.

Posted:
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1389WRX Points: 386Handicap: 6.5 and trendingPosts: 1,389 ClubWRX

Well sounds like we heard the same thing. Jeff has been out there a long time, played a few rounds with him and his wife ( who is very good ). It is a good golf course, that's why they have so many qualifiers / college tournaments out there. Back then we were all playing from the tips, #9 is a mo fo from back there in the trees.

Posted:

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 

Advertisement

On -, @SEP1006 said:

Well sounds like we heard the same thing. Jeff has been out there a long time, played a few rounds with him and his wife ( who is very good ). It is a good golf course, that's why they have so many qualifiers / college tournaments out there. Back then we were all playing from the tips, #9 is a mo fo from back there in the trees.

Tell me about it! Back when I was actually a good golfer and could move the ball a decent distance, I always played the tips. From the back tees, it is 605 yards, and for the first 60 or so, it is a 10-15 yard wide chute. I played a rather significant push draw (I'm a lefty), so I always had trouble. I would always try to play a fade, and either pull the snot out of it, or slice it into the ditch. It is a bear of a hole from there.

Not sure when you played out there last, but they added another set of tees on #8. Plays a little over 220 from the new box, and it puts you at an angle were unless you play a right to left shot, your shot is going with the slope of the green and almost guaranteed to run off the right side. It's back and to the left of where the back tees used to be.

Posted:
  • cod4101cod4101 Members  328WRX Points: 61Posts: 328 Greens

Decided on Cypresswood Tradition.

Posted:
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members  2175WRX Points: 224Posts: 2,175 Platinum Tees

Anyone played Augusta Pines lately?

Posted:

Played 36 at Eagle Pointe Saturday, in great shape if anyone is looking to go out there anytime soon.

Posted:

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 

• cjblake09cjblake09 Members  2175WRX Points: 224Posts: 2,175 Platinum Tees

Played Augusta Pines yesterday and it is in great shape. No more issues of bare lies on the FW and the greens were rolling great.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • monty09monty09 Members  336WRX Points: 100Posts: 336 Greens

On -, @bigred90gt said:

LOVE eagle pointe

Posted:
  • kgkkgk Slapshot Members  1299WRX Points: 149Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees

I'm always shocked at the love people give Eagle Pointe. The greens are great, if you like flat and featureless. 16 may be the worst hole in town. I've only been there once, and it's so far from my place, I'm in no rush to go back... maybe after a renovation.

Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2888WRX Points: 408Posts: 2,888 Titanium Tees

Interesting after the cold rain this morning, still wanting to try and play this afternoon. Anything beat Cypress Lakes for drainage and price?

Posted:
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On -, @kgk said:

I'm always shocked at the love people give Eagle Pointe. The greens are great, if you like flat and featureless. 16 may be the worst hole in town. I've only been there once, and it's so far from my place, I'm in no rush to go back... maybe after a renovation.

16 is the one of the worst holes in the state, if not the country (from the courses I’ve played all over the country anyway). But, I wouldn’t call anything about Eagle Pointe “flat and featureless”. I’m not even sure if that is a legit comment. You’ve played it once and came to that conclusion? I’ve played it a ton, and played most of the public courses in Houston area. There’s not a lot of them that can compete honestly. And no, I’m not a member there anymore. There’s not a ton of major undulations on most greens, but there are subtle breaks that require you to actually read the green, surrounding area, and lay of the land in order to actually be able to see it. Not just typical “hill here, hit it there” kind of breaks. One green looks flat, but breaks hard one direction, one looks major sloped front to back, but you have to read the hole back to around 100 yards out or so to actually see it isn’t as sloped as it looks. The green complexes make you think instead of just seeing a hill and putting over it.

Posted:
  • kgkkgk Slapshot Members  1299WRX Points: 149Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees

On -, @bigred90gt said:

On -, @kgk said:

16 is the one of the worst holes in the state, if not the country (from the courses I’ve played all over the country anyway). But, I wouldn’t call anything about Eagle Pointe “flat and featureless”. I’m not even sure if that is a legit comment. You’ve played it once and came to that conclusion? I’ve played it a ton, and played most of the public courses in Houston area. There’s not a lot of them that can compete honestly. And no, I’m not a member there anymore. There’s not a ton of major undulations on most greens, but there are subtle breaks that require you to actually read the green, surrounding area, and lay of the land in order to actually be able to see it. Not just typical “hill here, hit it there” kind of breaks. One green looks flat, but breaks hard one direction, one looks major sloped front to back, but you have to read the hole back to around 100 yards out or so to actually see it isn’t as sloped as it looks. The green complexes make you think instead of just seeing a hill and putting over it.

The course is on fine land. The greens are flat and boring IMO. The surrounds are unimaginative and featureless. It would easily be in the Top 100 in the state if the greens weren't so unremarkable. Maybe they're interesting if running super fast, but at the speeds I played them at... I can't think of a time I was more underwhelmed by greens on an otherwise interesting course in my life.

South Houston is a bit of a wasteland for good architecture, which is why I guess EP gets as much love as it does. I'd go play Moody Gardens 99 out of 100 times over EP myself.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members  1870WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,870 Platinum Tees

Anyone been to wildcat lately? Have a 3 day tournament there this coming week.

Posted:
    What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 44.75"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cleveland RTX-4 50* & 55* / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"

On -, @J_Birdie said:

I played last Sunday, good condition.

Greens were fast, smooth. If it only had better par 5s, I hate them all. I enjoy it for a change and hadn't played there since February.

Posted:
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members  1870WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,870 Platinum Tees

Good to hear. I’ve played both courses and agree the par 5s really tank my view of them. Both times I played conditions were 10/10 and I’d rate the par 4/par 3s a 9/10 but the par 5s are goofy 4/10. 18 at lakes is the only one I find fun and enjoy.

Posted:
    What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 44.75"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cleveland RTX-4 50* & 55* / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"

On -, @J_Birdie said:

Now this is a course that I don't see why it gets all the great reviews from local folks. WAY TOO MANY blind shots and the course is jammed together, like trying to fit 13 eggs in a carton for 12. I'd be curious to know how many people get hit from wayward golf shots out there in a week.

Posted:

PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.