Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Houston Courses

cod4101cod4101 Members Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Heading to Houston October 18-22nd.

Looking to play two courses. I am thinking the golf club of Houston plus one more. I am staying near IAH, but am willing to drive an hour plus to play a gem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm.

Golf Club of Houston will be in great condition then post tournament.

My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport. I try and play there weekly. It was in great condition early August before my seven week trip to Scotland. I will play there first week in October when I get back.

Others I try and play. -
    Blackhorse South and North, South is becoming my favourite fo the two as its harder.
    Wildcat Lakes, quirky and fun but seem to only play there for a fun 4 ball.
    GCOH - nice layout, typical open long course, only play if a deal is going but you will get great conditions.

I hate Tour 18 before anyone mentions it. never great condition and quirky again only play there if we have a group thing and I loose out on the say 5+ folk.

Houston has so many little course that I have never played and want to try, these two are next on the list -

Woodforest, near the woodlands.
    The Wilderness, Lake Jackson

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 1:23pm #3

On the north side of town, Woodforest, Cypresswood Tradition and High Meadow Ranch have each been ranked in the Top 100 in the state recently by the Dallas Morning News. As has the GCOH Tournament course.

Tradition is a mile from the airport.

Wilderness gets a lot of love, but it's at least an hour due South of town, and more than 1.5 hours from IAH.

• sarmis2sarmis2 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Piggy backing off this thread- has anyone played Cypress Lakes recently?

• AustincountyagAustincountyag Members Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Wilderness is awesome IMO. Severely underrated course. I've only played it once because it is a 1 1/2 hr drive for me, but I want to start playing it every few months or so if possible.

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,910 ClubWRX

@Austincountyag said:
    Wilderness is awesome IMO. Severely underrated course. I've only played it once because it is a 1 1/2 hr drive for me, but I want to start playing it every few months or so if possible.

Agreed, but a really long haul from IAH area.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scott_Donald said:
    Hmmm.

Golf Club of Houston will be in great condition then post tournament.

My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport. I try and play there weekly. It was in great condition early August before my seven week trip to Scotland. I will play there first week in October when I get back.

Others I try and play. -
    Blackhorse South and North, South is becoming my favourite fo the two as its harder.
    Wildcat Lakes, quirky and fun but seem to only play there for a fun 4 ball.
    GCOH - nice layout, typical open long course, only play if a deal is going but you will get great conditions.

I hate Tour 18 before anyone mentions it. never great condition and quirky again only play there if we have a group thing and I loose out on the say 5+ folk.

Houston has so many little course that I have never played and want to try, these two are next on the list -

you will love the Wilderness ...

• CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 15, 2019 1:11pm #8

@scott_Donald said:
    My favourite is Cypresswood tradition, just north of the airport.

Like you, I love Tradition. Like you, Wilderness and Woodforest are on my list to play.

That said, I have had a ton of fun playing Gus Wortham recently. Check it out sometime.

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you’re willing to drive an hour, play Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu. It is worth the drive. Surprising elevation changes for the area which is notoriously flat, and it is always in great shape. They went through a rough patch early this year, but last time I played it a couple of months ago it was 90% back. I would think by now it is back to tip top shape. Just beware of #16. It’ll ruin a good round in a hurry, lol.

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 1,059 ClubWRX

@bigred90gt said:
    If you’re willing to drive an hour, play Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu. It is worth the drive. Surprising elevation changes for the area which is notoriously flat, and it is always in great shape. They went through a rough patch early this year, but last time I played it a couple of months ago it was 90% back. I would think by now it is back to tip top shape. Just beware of #16. It’ll ruin a good round in a hurry, lol.

You are spot on with the above. Great course, typically always in good shape and surprising elevation changes. Was a member there for 13 years, not a private course but the memberships are really cheap if you play a lot of golf.

And definitely right about #16, to me the only stupid hole out there.

I actually heard they were going to shut the course down for a while and change the holes up. I heard that #17 was going to be the new #1 as well as a few other changes.

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL 
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SEP1006 said:

@bigred90gt said:

You are spot on with the above. Great course, typically always in good shape and surprising elevation changes. Was a member there for 13 years, not a private course but the memberships are really cheap if you play a lot of golf.

And definitely right about #16, to me the only stupid hole out there.

I actually heard they were going to shut the course down for a while and change the holes up. I heard that #17 was going to be the new #1 as well as a few other changes.

From my understanding talking to Jeff Strong (director of golf I believe now), they were going to rebuild the entire course and completely change the layout. They hired an architect already for the design. He came out and played a round with Jeff and basically told him it was a horrible design, lol. When he got to #16, he said "who ever designed this hole should be shot". The only detail I know of is #1 tee is going to be where #17 tee is currently, but the hole is going to play back toward the rest of the course somehow. I think it's going to play across 16 then up around where 10 green is now. So many rumors, no idea of any truth to any of them.

I joined out there when Evergreen shut down (was a member there for almost 10 years). Stayed at eagle pointe for a couple of years till my wife started playing. It is a long and tough track for a beginner, and we ended up playing mostly out at Chambers County. I was paying the $105/month and only playing out there once a month at most, and several months not at all, so I let it go.

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 1,059 ClubWRX
    edited Today @ 2:10pm #12

Well sounds like we heard the same thing. Jeff has been out there a long time, played a few rounds with him and his wife ( who is very good ). It is a good golf course, that's why they have so many qualifiers / college tournaments out there. Back then we were all playing from the tips, #9 is a mo fo from back there in the trees.

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL 
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji