Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Aldila DVS - Am I Crazy?

binknrumbinknrum Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

I had the DVS 70S shaft in a Nike Sumo Square Tour head years ago and always loved the combination. As I’m a never ending tinkerer with my sticks, I found one of these shafts cheap on EBay, got an adapter and just put in into my Epic Flash Triple Diamond. Felt awesome and ball flight looked great at the range tonight. Tough to tell if I gained or lost any distance, so that will have to wait for a round at my course, but the control was great with this shaft. I had been playing an Even Flow Blue in the head prior (with a brief couple rounds with a Ping G410/Tensei Orange combo before that). I’m always looking for a little something extra or different. Considering buying a Tour AD-IZ but figured I’d try the DVS for fun. Am I crazy to think a shaft from 10 years ago might compete with today’s newer technology?

Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero Triple Diamond - Aldila DVS 70S
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Project X Evenflow Blue 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 7 Wood Tensei Blue 65
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW Irons
Nike Engage 50, 56, & 60 Wedges
Nike Origin B2-05 Putter

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@binknrum said:
    I had the DVS 70S shaft in a Nike Sumo Square Tour head years ago and always loved the combination. As I’m a never ending tinkerer with my sticks, I found one of these shafts cheap on EBay, got an adapter and just put in into my Epic Flash Triple Diamond. Felt awesome and ball flight looked great at the range tonight. Tough to tell if I gained or lost any distance, so that will have to wait for a round at my course, but the control was great with this shaft. I had been playing an Even Flow Blue in the head prior (with a brief couple rounds with a Ping G410/Tensei Orange combo before that). I’m always looking for a little something extra or different. Considering buying a Tour AD-IZ but figured I’d try the DVS for fun. Am I crazy to think a shaft from 10 years ago might compete with today’s newer technology?

Not in the slightest. Most of the new technology is about feel and achieving certain designs at lower weights. Shafts are still shafts and many guys on tour play ones as old or older. If it works then it works, period. The Aldila DVS seems to be pretty similar to the classic Diamana Whiteboard with a slightly stiffer butt and slightly softer tip. Its a classic profile that exists in dozens of different shafts and is quite different from the Evenflow Blue or AD-IZ.

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* FujikuraMotore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* DiamanaBlueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

DVS60/65 is on my list to buy.....similar to prolaunch blue but beefier and stable....

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10
    Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The newer shaft technology doesn't really improve on the old designs much so they don't really become obsolete. It just gives us more flavors to choose from.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@binknrum said:

Not at all, most of the shafts i play is 7-10 years on the marked, and not much has changed since then, and if there is a trend, it goes against "improved feel" (read softer and higher torque ratings). i have not seen any "improvements" in production quality, so if you find a 10 year old shaft who is like its suppose to be, and you like it, play it.

I did not have the latest models you mention in my DB, but DVS 70S seems "strong to flex" (butt side) vs many others with the label S, but thats sometimes how the designer change "tip to butt deflection" to gain launch. (going stiffer butt side)

Aldila DVS 70S is as close as can be to Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum AXIS S flex, where Grafalloy has a few CPMs more at the tip section, so if you want to try off a more advanced carbon fiber structure than DVS, but with the same profile, those can be found for a few bucks on the bay. Grafalloy would be a few grams down. Ozik X-Con 6 is in the same street.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If memory serves, I think the RIP Beta is another close match for the DVS. Just a little bit stiffer in the tip.

The firmer butt and mid-section made them popular for those with more aggressive transitions but who also wanted a higher launching or softer tip profile.

edited Sep 11, 2019 1:25pm #7

@Stuart_G said:
    If memory serves, I think the RIP Beta is another close match for the DVS. Just a little bit stiffer in the tip.

The firmer butt and mid-section made them popular for those with more aggressive transitions but who also wanted a higher launching or softer tip profile.

Its MID thats a bit stiffer on RIP Beta (20"), and its not that far off from NV either, but enough to feel different.

Here is those i found that we could say is "as close as can be" to DVS 70 S...Kali 70 X is "most off" among them with tad softer MID section

• markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The voodoo version, the XDV6-XDV8 were great shafts. I believe the "Apple's Fairway" was a modified XDV7/8 made for Stuart Appleby.

NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I overlooked ROUGE BLACK, ive set the filters in excel to tight, so when i added 1 CPM (plus minus 3 from DVS 70S), the Rouge Black comes up with "the same specs", but a tad stronger butt. Seems like Rouge Black is "todays DVS".

• binknrumbinknrum Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the support and feedback. Found that shaft data interesting as the Rogue Black was another shaft I’ve had good success with which now makes a ton of sense based on the data. Will see how it goes on the course today!

Nike Origin B2-05 Putter
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@markheardjr said:
    The voodoo version, the XDV6-XDV8 were great shafts. I believe the "Apple's Fairway" was a modified XDV7/8 made for Stuart Appleby.

According to our mutual friend John O., you are exactly right👍

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 818h1 21* Atmos Blue TS HB 8s
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna

@binknrum said:
    Thanks for the support and feedback. Found that shaft data interesting as the Rogue Black was another shaft I’ve had good success with which now makes a ton of sense based on the data. Will see how it goes on the course today!

Just ask for more specs on other shaft models if needed, but my DB is NOT "up to date" but there is quite a few models of both woods, hybrids and irons in it, so if i have what you ask for, i can upload them here.

• binknrumbinknrum Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

First results on the course were great. Slightly higher launch with more total distance and definitely a tighter dispersion than my Even Flow Blue. Still find it hard to believe that a 10 year old shaft fits me so well. Glad I gave it a try all these years later. Best $26 I’ve probably ever spent in golf! Thanks to Howard Jones for his shaft specs. Makes me want to try some of the other older shafts that are similar to this one!

Nike Origin B2-05 Putter
  • ProfessorDaveProfessorDave Members Posts: 52 ✭✭

These “old” shafts are great performers, inexpensive, and suited to many golfers who are not swayed by the latest trendy shafts. I recently put an Aldila Voodoo shaft in my driver and love it. Well under $50 brand new.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love the nvs in fairways .... see sig

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list