Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

So I hit it perfectly but it doesn't go straight..

SO... Okay obviously I'm being a little facetious. I am no pro. I know I'm not the greatest ball striker. And it doesn't help that I refuse to use anything but blades (I mainly play by myself so it more for enjoyment).

HOOOOOOWEVER! Something has been nagging me. I seem to be able to hit the proper sweet spot on fairly regular basis. At least enough to know what what it feels like. With good compression. Striking the ball first. etc etc.

Th issue is even if I have a great "strike" the ball doesn't always go straight. Can anyone confirm is this just face open/closed and pathing right? Is there anything else it could be?

Additional question. Any tips and/or drills you guys have to help with reining in that consistency?

Thanks!

Comments

• andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Face open/closed relative to swing path.

It can also be (mainly on the driver I think) gear effect. Without getting technical if you hit the ball close to the heel it will tend to fade. If you hit it close to the toe it will tend to draw.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • austinsmithonaustinsmithon Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

The issue is mostly with irons. Does that matter?

• RayGormanRayGorman Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

As I posted in another forum, consistency of strike isn't always a sign of accuracy. This is after a 6 ball run. the high toe-ey one went relatively straight but shorter. out of the 5 others, 2 went either- well left and went lefter on the ground or sliced off to right. I would think that the pattern might indicate 5 out of 6 were striped down the middle- but only 3 went more or less where I aimed.

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

@austinsmithon said:
    The issue is mostly with irons. Does that matter?

Nope. You can hit the sweet spot all you want, with any club, if you're not getting the club face square at impact, it won't matter.

Best advice: go take some lessons to figure out what it is in your swing that is causing the failure to deliver the club face square. I took a couple lessons, and found out I wasn't activating my hips enough, and wasn't maintaining my spine angle long enough on my follow through (which was part of the cause for not clearing my hips). Correcting those two issues has led to HUGE gains in consistency across all my clubs, but particularly with my irons.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@austinsmithon said:
    Th issue is even if I have a great "strike" the ball doesn't always go straight. Can anyone confirm is this just face open/closed and pathing right? Is there anything else it could be?

Now is a good time to tell you about the 5i I hit out of bounds (missed my target, the 15th green by 60+ yards) with a perfect center face contact a couple of years ago.

So yes, it is a face angle and path problem.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• msgmsg Members Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

I've done this a lot, hit the sweet spot but ball won't go straight because I have a cut swing. Once you understand the ball flight laws, there is more than to hitting the sweet spot. :D

• bbspeerbbspeer Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Simple face/path relationship. Some of the best “feeling” shots I’ve ever had have been slices

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file