***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

So I hit it perfectly but it doesn't go straight..

austinsmithon ·  
austinsmithonaustinsmithon Members  15WRX Points: 14Posts: 15 Bunkers

SO... Okay obviously I'm being a little facetious. I am no pro. I know I'm not the greatest ball striker. And it doesn't help that I refuse to use anything but blades (I mainly play by myself so it more for enjoyment).

HOOOOOOWEVER! Something has been nagging me. I seem to be able to hit the proper sweet spot on fairly regular basis. At least enough to know what what it feels like. With good compression. Striking the ball first. etc etc.

Th issue is even if I have a great "strike" the ball doesn't always go straight. Can anyone confirm is this just face open/closed and pathing right? Is there anything else it could be?

Additional question. Any tips and/or drills you guys have to help with reining in that consistency?

Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 301Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

Face open/closed relative to swing path.

It can also be (mainly on the driver I think) gear effect. Without getting technical if you hit the ball close to the heel it will tend to fade. If you hit it close to the toe it will tend to draw.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • austinsmithonaustinsmithon Members  15WRX Points: 14Posts: 15 Bunkers

The issue is mostly with irons. Does that matter?

Posted:
  • RayGormanRayGorman Members  175WRX Points: 74Handicap: 13Posts: 175 Fairways

As I posted in another forum, consistency of strike isn't always a sign of accuracy. This is after a 6 ball run. the high toe-ey one went relatively straight but shorter. out of the 5 others, 2 went either- well left and went lefter on the ground or sliced off to right. I would think that the pattern might indicate 5 out of 6 were striped down the middle- but only 3 went more or less where I aimed.

Posted:
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  462WRX Points: 263Handicap: 10.3Posts: 462 Greens

On -, @austinsmithon said:

The issue is mostly with irons. Does that matter?

Nope. You can hit the sweet spot all you want, with any club, if you're not getting the club face square at impact, it won't matter.

Best advice: go take some lessons to figure out what it is in your swing that is causing the failure to deliver the club face square. I took a couple lessons, and found out I wasn't activating my hips enough, and wasn't maintaining my spine angle long enough on my follow through (which was part of the cause for not clearing my hips). Correcting those two issues has led to HUGE gains in consistency across all my clubs, but particularly with my irons.

Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

On -, @austinsmithon said:

Th issue is even if I have a great "strike" the ball doesn't always go straight. Can anyone confirm is this just face open/closed and pathing right? Is there anything else it could be?

Now is a good time to tell you about the 5i I hit out of bounds (missed my target, the 15th green by 60+ yards) with a perfect center face contact a couple of years ago.

So yes, it is a face angle and path problem.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• msgmsg Members  433WRX Points: 120Handicap: 8Posts: 433 Greens

I've done this a lot, hit the sweet spot but ball won't go straight because I have a cut swing. Once you understand the ball flight laws, there is more than to hitting the sweet spot. :D

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bbspeerbbspeer Members  29WRX Points: 23Posts: 29 Bunkers

Simple face/path relationship. Some of the best “feeling” shots I’ve ever had have been slices

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.