Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

High School Golf Thread

heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Figured I would start this to share stories and scores.

My kid played in his first high school match yesterday. He has been injured and out of golf 8 out of the last 18 months. He has been out the first 4 weeks of the high school season with a broken hand. He was just released to play last Thursday and practiced for just 5 days after the month lay off. I really didn't want him to play, but the coach wanted to throw him out there with the "B" Team so he could get a match in. Had no idea what to expect and the kid goes out and shoots a -1 35.

His team, mind you this is the "B" team, shot a -2 for a team total of 142 for the W. The second place team shot a 165 and had the medalist on their team who was -3. We beat the host team by 80 strokes.

Comments

• Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

long layoffs can help with feels, happens to me after the winter break when I first play. Feels are fresh and you can feel the clubhead better, I personally usually play really good for the first month or so, then a little rust kicks in.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 3:49pm #3

No high school golf in Alabama until the Spring...this is despite the courses virtually all begging for it to be in the Fall instead...

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 4:01pm #4

@BloctonGolf11 said:
    No high school golf in Alabama until the Spring...this is despite the courses virtually all begging for it to be in the Fall instead...

Used to be in the Spring in Florida. Moved it for two reasons. 1. Easier to get courses. 2. A lot of baseball players play golf and in the Spring they can't play.

@heavy_hitter said:

@BloctonGolf11 said:

Used to be in the Spring in Florida. Moved it for two reasons. 1. Easier to get courses. 2. A lot of baseball players play golf and in the Spring they can't play.

Won't be moved in Bama due to so many golf coaches being football coaches and getting extra stipend money while not giving two craps about golf.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BloctonGolf11 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@BloctonGolf11 said:

Won't be moved in Bama due to so many golf coaches being football coaches and getting extra stipend money while not giving two craps about golf.

Sadly, that is what HS Golf Coaches are for the most part. We are fortunate enough to have the Director of Golf at a high end club (has held USGA events) as our coach. Kids practice at one of the 3 courses, at two separate facilities through out the year. Assistant is the GM at another club.

• 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My son just started his freshman year and looking forward to the spring golf season. Just bummed Ricky Castillo's dad (who was the coach) decided to step down;(

• blairdblaird Members Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Athletic Director got a laundry list of reasons why I wanted golf changed to the fall instead of spring. He took it to the regional AD meeting and zero ADs voted for the change. Longer daylight hours, not snowbird season, better weather, better course conditions, etc...were some of the reasons. I think, like mentioned before, some schools just give the golf coach job to a football coach or another sport coach.

The courses here in Bama basically begged for it to be moved to Fall a few years ago because for 75% of the season they are playing on dormant turf that is just not fun to play on. We really don't see decent conditions until very late in the season.

• GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

That’s great. Want to transfer to the west coast for Florida. ?

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I coach at a small independent HS. Read "coach" how you wish, and yes I enjoy need the stipend. It's the only sport I coach, but I do know serial coaches.
    Fall is great, but man is it short! Well, the during school portion anyway. We start early July, but I do not see the majority of this kids until a week before school starts. On top of this our division has added a district tournament, which is this Monday, effectively cutting our season by a week.
    Most or some golf coaches may not be swing coaches, but this does not diminish their role. It takes someone special to develop a team, bring a group of like minded missfits together to form something more akin to a family. Many hours developing a schedule, balancing practice/competition with academics, getting them to many and all events safe and ready to compete,,, to inspire,,, to challenge,, to think,, to focus,, etc. etc.. Effectively communicate and handle every parent concern or demand with grace,,, to be the conduit between academic teachers and players/family etc. etc.. I know I am forgetting a bunch, and all this for pennies on the dollar..
    I am successful every time I go out with the teams, but I and they have enjoyed the ultimate success, 1 state championship,, and 4 runners up, 2 district championships and other tournament wins. We are currently in a rebuild year(s) with both boys and girls teams. I should have 2 that will qualify as individuals for the state tournament this year. They are both sophomores, the girl qualified last year, and the boy missed out by 2 strokes, he shot a 76.. After this it's a drop off. Not sure my boys team, even with him, could muster lower than a 395.. Worse, I graduate 2 and do not think that I will get any from MS next year. My girls team should be championship contenders in 2 years..
    It's fun, it's rewarding, it's exhausting. Best months of the year by far.

• Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

The high school my kid will go to (in 8 years) was pretty good. They won CIF two years in a row a few years ago. As soon as Wolff left I don’t see them in top positions anymore lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file