Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Steel Shaft Rusting?

2012BFT2012BFT Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey all... has anyone has issues with steel shafts starting to get little rust spots? I have noticed them over the years on putter shafts (even painted putter shafts like TM Spider) and most recently on my PX iron shafts. I don't get it because I haven't played in rain with this set of irons yet... etc and always keep them wiped down and dry. I keep the bag in my house too... not garage/trunk etc.

Is there something to prevent this? I don't have a high humid house etc either. I know it doesn't impact performance (yet) but I just hate how its starting to mark up my shafts.

Thanks!

PING G400 LST w/ PX HC EF 65g 6.5
PING G410 LST 3w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 7:33pm #2

One thing I always do with new irons is re-grip them (because I install the Pro-soft inserts). When applying the grip tape I take the extra at the butt end and give it a twist and jam it in the shaft so the shaft isn't exposed to the air. Then after a couple days (so I know the grip solvent is fully evaporated) I squirt some silicone glue in the grip hole to completely seal the shaft from the elements. Then I put a coat of car wax on the shafts and re-apply twice a year. Been doing this process for over 25 years and never had a problem with shaft rust.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@2012BFT said:
    Hey all... has anyone has issues with steel shafts starting to get little rust spots? I have noticed them over the years on putter shafts (even painted putter shafts like TM Spider) and most recently on my PX iron shafts. I don't get it because I haven't played in rain with this set of irons yet... etc and always keep them wiped down and dry. I keep the bag in my house too... not garage/trunk etc.

Is there something to prevent this? I don't have a high humid house etc either. I know it doesn't impact performance (yet) but I just hate how its starting to mark up my shafts.

Thanks!

Rust spots that starts from the outside is not caused by rain, but fertilizers from the course you play. Every-time we take some turf, this stuff is "in the air" and sticks to the shaft, so the only way top prevent it, is to clean the shafts after play, even if it was dry that day. (the air always contain humidity, thats the water added to it, it does not have to be rain)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file