Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Motorcycle Move

ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 1:05pm #2

I guess I may be the only one who doesn't have a clue what we are supposed to be seeing or what you are trying to tell us. But I'm also guessing that I'm not the only one.

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Texas said:
    I guess I may be the only one who doesn't have a clue what we are supposed to be seeing or what you are trying to tell us. But I'm also guessing that I'm not the only one.

I believe he's talking about the position of this gentleman's left wrist. It's positioned like he's opening up the throttle on a motorbike.

Given the cryptic nature of the post, I assume that the OP is some kind of mystical swing guru, who has been transported to Earth on the tail of a comet, to provide us with the secret to perfect contact - every time!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • moehoganmoehogan Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what Austin taught, but my focus is on extending the trail wrist instead of flexing the lead wrist. Same result ... pick your poison!

• FireballerFireballer Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Yep...motorcycle move, preset the wrists at address, add lead wrist flex gradually into impact. Whatever works for you. The point is that you have to have lead wrist flexed, trail wrist extended at impact. If you dont have it at address, it has to be added at some point.

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@moehogan said:
    Not sure what Austin taught, but my focus is on extending the trail wrist instead of flexing the lead wrist. Same result ... pick your poison!

Yep - I like trail wrist as it's personally easier for me to feel and monitor.

I have a very strong grip and a lead wrist that isn't crazy cupped at the top, so concentrating on a dynamic motorcycle move would possibly send me way left with irons.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

dont you open up a motorcycle by twisting the throttle back towards you? This seems to be the reverse of that, no?

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • sjccsjcc Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:
    dont you open up a motorcycle by twisting the throttle back towards you? This seems to be the reverse of that, no?

Correct. The throttle on a motorcycle is on the right. Flexing the right wrist opens the throttle. In RH swing flexing the right wrist bows the left.

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sjcc said:

@QuigleyDU said:

Correct. The throttle on a motorcycle is on the right. Flexing the right wrist opens the throttle. In RH swing flexing the right wrist bows the left.

>

I apologize for my erroneous description. My motorbike riding experience is highly limited - because they are deathtraps.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 5:17pm #11

One other thing to keep in mind with the motorcycle move, as with all things in golf, is feel vs real. When I started, I had absolutely horrible face control. My wrists would always end up cupping somewhere between the start of transition and impact. Once I started doing the motorcycle move in transition, things got better. In the swing and the moment, I feel like I'm bending my wrists like DJ, but when I watch the video, my wrists are dead straight. Sometimes you just need to feel like you're completely overdoing it. So for me I need to feel a crazy wrist bend just to get to straight.

• sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Simpsonia said:
    One other thing to keep in mind with the motorcycle move, as with all things in golf, is feel vs real. When I started, I had absolutely horrible face control. My wrists would always end up cupping somewhere between the start of transition and impact. Once I started doing the motorcycle move in transition, things got better. In the swing and the moment, I feel like I'm bending my wrists like DJ, but when I watch the video, my wrists are dead straight. Sometimes you just need to feel like you're completely overdoing it. So for me I need to feel a crazy wrist bend just to get to straight.

Exact same for me. Flat wrist at the top but feels like DJ looks. Then I flail it open in transition (if there is a ball there).

The odd thing is I constantly see folks post air swings (no ball) and it all looks good until you see the club face is open 45 degrees through the hitting zone.

When I slow motion video my air swings I have the club face same as spine angle at P6 and square through hitting zone. Then with a ball the face is 45 degrees more open than that at P6 and I manage to square it up by impact (most of the time). Currently hitting the slow motion swing drills hard to try to fix.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• sjccsjcc Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

I apologize for my erroneous description. My motorbike riding experience is highly limited - because they are deathtraps.

Yep, you got that right. That's why my right leg is 1" shorter than my left......

• mws92mws92 Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

anyone have an issue overdoing this move with the left wrist and dropping the club behind them and losing leverage during transition?

• airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are losing leverage..you are probably have to much trail side secondary axis tilt causing you to be dumped under not this move. Over doing this move would cause you to have a closed clubface coming into impact. This is a shallowing move so you may just have to stay stacked or in left side bend long in transition

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file