Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

MEMBER REVIEWS: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Wedges! Read What They Are Saying!

knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50Marshals, Media Staffer Posts: 3,157 mod

TaylorMade gave a few lucky members a set of the all-new Milled Grind 2 wedges before you could buy them! They are putting the new wedges through their paces and will be reporting back with their thoughts on the new wedges! The testers are....

@harleydavis
@rbilramz
Maybe a guest tester from Instagram as well?

Be sure to ask these members any questions you might have and we want to give a big THANK YOU to TaylorMade for putting on this testing event!

Make sure to follow Two Guys Talking Golf!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg

Comments

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the winners!

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120 
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Can’t wait to hear the reviews.

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 GD AD IZ 6s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM MG2 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • harleydavisharleydavis Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 12:27pm #4

First off thanks to Taylormade and GolfWRX for selecting me as a tester!

We didn't have any choice on the set up, but hey beggars can't be choosers. I received a chrome finished 52, 56 and 60 degree wedge. All have the standard bounce (SB) designation, S200 shafts and the standard Lamkin Crossline grip (which I really like, the red accents are a cool touch). I have never played a 3 wedge set up so this is a bit of an adjustment. Currently I have a 52 and 58 Vokey SM7 in black. I haven't had a chance to play a round yet, but have spent some time on the practice area. My initial thoughts for now and I'll update after a full round this weekend.

Aesthetics
    I am very particular about the shape of my wedges. I can always place a wedge at address and immediately know if I will end up liking them or not. I am VERY used to my Vokeys, but the shape of these fit my eye immediately! I will say at first I was a little taken back by the raw (grey for now) area in the center of the face. Like with most things it grows on you. I am a little concerned at how it will look rusted out with the rest of the wedge shiny chrome. I guess only time will tell. The side by side photos below are comparing each 52 degree wedge to make sure differing lofts wouldn't trick the eye.

Around the Green
    Like I mentioned before I have just had some time in the practice area, but I'll get out on the course this weekend. So far I am impressed! The feel off the face is great. Before actually hitting them I thought they might end up feeling "clicky" but I didn't notice any of that at all. My current wedges are about a year old so they still have some life left in them, but nothing beats FRESH grooves! The amount of spin they were generating around the greens was about as high as I've ever seen (no real data to back that up though). I spent more time with the 56 and 60 as a 52 is more of a 100+ yd club for me, I don't really use it around the green.

So far I see no reason why these won't end up in the bag. The amount of spin I was seeing, the versatility of having more options than before, the overall feel and the results thus far have been great. I am looking forward to getting them out for a full round and posting results. Until then, if there is anything anyone wants to know about or see a photo of just let me know and I'll post accordingly!

Cheers!

Post edited by harleydavis on
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What lofts did you go with?

Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the winners

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

More thoughts and photos added above.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!!

Wow, they look really different at address.. little busy but might be a good thing.

Looking for to more reviews..

@TIM929 said:
    Congratulations!!

Wow, they look really different at address.. little busy but might be a good thing.

One thing to note in the address comparison. The top line of the MG2 looks much bigger than the Vokey, but if you look closely they are about the same. The Vokey matte black top line is just hiding in the shadows.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harleydavis said:

@TIM929 said:
    Congratulations!!

One thing to note in the address comparison. The top line of the MG2 looks much bigger than the Vokey, but if you look closely they are about the same. The Vokey matte black top line is just hiding in the shadows.

Ahhhh thank you for pointing that out.. From the picture, I thought TM was bigger or was higher in the toe section.

• belephantbelephant Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

Congrats! These sound awesome.

PING G400 LST 8.5° | Accra TZ6 65 M5
    TaylorMade M3 15° | Atmos TS Blue 8X
    TaylorMade TP UDI 2i | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
    Titleist 818 H2 23° | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-P | Modus3 120TX
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 52°, 58° | Modus3 120X
    Bettinardi Tour Minovai
  • Titleist84Titleist84 Members Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 10:33pm #12

I'm really happy with my Vokey TVD's but these are calling my name.

• russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine on release in black, they look sick! All around great, not as much spin as my bronze hi toes but great. My only complaint is the 58* grind is good but the blade length is long and not enough heel and toe relief for hitting open face shots, less versatile IMO. Im gng game them 4 a bit and report back...

• Mwils29Mwils29 Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

How do they feel at impact?

@Mwils29 said:

I took them out for a quick 9 last night. I think they feel great at impact. The may not be as soft as Vokeys (my only recent comparison point) but it’s hardly noticeable at all.

One thing I will add is the amount of spin on fill shots is high, very high. Which is a whole lot of fun, but it chews up ProV1s very quickly!

I did snap a quick photo of the 56 after sitting for a few days after a practice session. You can barely see a little rust forming on the face.

• Mwils29Mwils29 Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

@harleydavis said:

@Mwils29 said:

I took them out for a quick 9 last night. I think they feel great at impact. The may not be as soft as Vokeys (my only recent comparison point) but it’s hardly noticeable at all.

One thing I will add is the amount of spin on fill shots is high, very high. Which is a whole lot of fun, but it chews up ProV1s very quickly!

I did snap a quick photo of the 56 after sitting for a few days after a practice session. You can barely see a little rust forming on the face.

I certainly appreciate your thoughts and review. I may pick one up and give it a shot. I’ve been playing Vokeys for years so it nice to know that is your most recent comparison.

• rbilramzrbilramz ClubWRX Posts: 793 ClubWRX

First off, THANK YOU GolfWRX and TaylorMade for such a cool opportunity. I've always only entered giveaways that I really want to win, and this is one of the best ones I've even seen on this site. As I mentioned in my entry, TaylorMade had never really sparked my interest in wedges before these. Historically I've played Callaway, then a few sets of Vokey and mostly recently Ping. I currently play Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth in 56SS & 60ES. I use my Ping i25 U (gap, 50 degrees) instead of a 52 degree wedge currently.
    As @harleydavis mentioned above, we were not given any options of which wedges or specs. I received the same 52 / 56 / 60 degree wedges with SB (standard bounce), standard specs in chrome. Upon receipt, I took them to my local PGA Superstore to have them built to my specs (+1/2" and 1 degree upright). Without that, it wouldn't have been a fair evaluation. While there, the store manager told me I could swap them for any specs they had in stock at no charge. I didn't end up changing any lofts or bounce, but did swap the chrome for the black. An man, they are PURDY. Luckily, I was able to take this afternoon off work and headed out to my local course to give them a whirl. A breakdown of my initial impressions below.

Looks:
    These are SHARP looking. I've always been a sucker for black & red and these don't disappoint. I love the finish and there isn't any glare. Right out of the package the raw finish looks clean, but I am looking forward to it rusting a little. As for the head shape, they are nearly identical to my Ping SS. Perhaps slightly less round, but not much. I also LOVE the milled grind on the sole. I don't know if it actually does anything, but it looks AWESOME.

Performance:
    I spent about an hour between the driving range and chipping green giving these a spin. The first thing I noticed was the feel; its great. It looks like this have a TPU insert similar to my Pings and it works. I'd put them up against anything I've hit from a feel stand point. Soft & quite with a lot of feedback. Around the green one thing was obvious; these things SPIN. New grooves are amazing, but I couldn't remember anything checking up like these since the old, pre-groove-rule Callaways. I'm sure the grooves will lose some bite over time, but right now they are impressive.
    I typically use my 56 for everything 120 and in, saving the 60 for tricky flop shots and out of the sand. The TaylorMade 56 performed great; it handled everything from full shorts, to pitches of varying length and even delicate chips.
    The 60 also performed great and the sole was versatile enough that I could hit basically any shot that I wanted. I did struggle quite a bit in the sand though. The shape of my Ping ES is pretty unique and I've definitely gotten used to it in the sand. I am sure with a little more practice I'd be fine, but for now the ES grind out performed the TaylorMade in the sand.
    The 52 is a challenging club for me to review. I use my i25 U wedge for almost nothing but full shots (~140 yards). The TaylorMade just doesn't offer the same level of forgiveness on full shots of that distance. Around the green I actually really liked using the 52, it's something I don't do currently. The ability to hit a slightly lower chip that runs farther was nice.

After some time on the range I went to play the short 9 hole course, with most holes in the 75-100 yard range, the longest being 125. While short, this course is not easy. There is a lot of undulation to the greens, bunkers galore and some tricky angles. It would be a perfect place to test the wedges. I went out with just the 3 new ones and my putter. Overall, I was impressed. The 56 proved to be just as versatile and my current one, with great feel and that new groove spin. I actually found myself using the 52 in a few occurrences and liked the result. I also found myself in a few tricky spots where I needed the 60 and it performed great. Sadly (or luckily?), I never found myself in the sand so I don't have any in-round feedback for that yet.

Conclusion:
    TaylorMade has a winner on their hands. The 56 is basically perfect. I wish the 60 came in a shape / grind similar to the Ping ES. That might be the only thing from keeping it from going in the bag. I think once I adjust to the sole, it'll be my go to. My bag doesn't have a spot for the 52 right now, but I am going to carry it with me and swap it in if the course set-up allows. I think the club does what it was designed to do perfectly, my current set-up just doesn't have a spot for that club. That's one problem with new irons hitting so far, I would love to have room for 3 dedicated wedges, but we are only allowed to carry so many clubs.
    I didn't know what to expect from TaylorMade wedges, but they really blew me away. I knew they would look good, but I was just as happy with how they performed. I'll keep everyone updated...

• AUTIGER07AUTIGER07 Just lost $1K on a putt Members Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 16, 2019 3:46am #18

Congrats to both winners!

The MG2 wedges look fantastic but I have to say that I'm a little surprised / disappointed the winners couldn't at least pick their own specs (i.e. loft / lie / length / bounce or sole option) in order to give a fair comparison against their current gamers.

*Updated to clear up comment.

Post edited by AUTIGER07 on
    915D3 8.5 D70X *B1*
    915F 16.5 D80X *C1*
    915Hd 20.5 D90X *C1*
    MP4 4-9 C-Taper X
    VR Forged 47 / 51 / 55 / 59
    Black Lab BL-7
  • rbilramzrbilramz ClubWRX Posts: 793 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 15, 2019 10:53pm #19

@AUTIGER07 said:

The MG2 wedges look fantastic but I have to say that I'm a little surprised / disappointed the winners couldn't at least start with their own specs (i.e. loft / lie / length / bounce or sole option) in order to give a fair comparison against their current gamers.

Really? I gave my club (Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth), length (+1/2”), lie (1 degree upright), loft (54 & 60) and bounce (SS & ES). Did you even read it first?

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

The black wedges look so good brand new in pics and in person but the fact that only the faces rust is very concerning and the sole reason I wouldn't buy these. Really like the shape and look at address without a rusted face though.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4, T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • AUTIGER07AUTIGER07 Just lost $1K on a putt Members Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rbilramz said:

@AUTIGER07 said:

The MG2 wedges look fantastic but I have to say that I'm a little surprised / disappointed the winners couldn't at least start with their own specs (i.e. loft / lie / length / bounce or sole option) in order to give a fair comparison against their current gamers.

Really? I gave my club (Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth), length (+1/2”), lie (1 degree upright), loft (54 & 60) and bounce (SS & ES). Did you even read it first?

I meant it as it was disappointing that you had to take the club yourself to get the MG2 up to your current gamer specs, not that you didn't include it in the write-up.

"I currently play Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth in 56SS & 60ES. I use my Ping i25 U (gap, 50 degrees) instead of a 52 degree wedge currently. As @harleydavis mentioned above, we were not given any options of which wedges or specs. I received the same 52 / 56 / 60 degree wedges with SB (standard bounce), standard specs in chrome. Upon receipt, I took them to my local PGA Superstore to have them built to my specs (+1/2" and 1 degree upright). Without that, it wouldn't have been a fair evaluation."

915D3 8.5 D70X *B1*
    915F 16.5 D80X *C1*
    915Hd 20.5 D90X *C1*
    MP4 4-9 C-Taper X
    VR Forged 47 / 51 / 55 / 59
    Black Lab BL-7

@AUTIGER07 said:
    I meant it as it was disappointing that you had to take the club yourself to get the MG2 up to your current gamer specs, not that you didn't include it in the write-up.

That may be true, but luckily I have always played wedges at standard specifications. So they fit me just fine.

I will say I do REALLY like the way the black finish looks over the chrome. That's a personal preference though. One thing after a few more rounds I have noticed is that I am not sold on the grind on the 60. Maybe I am just not used to it, but I seem to be struggling with it a bit. I have a feeling that its an "Indian not the arrow" problem.

• TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@russian7 said:
    I got mine on release in black, they look sick! All around great, not as much spin as my bronze hi toes but great. My only complaint is the 58* grind is good but the blade length is long and not enough heel and toe relief for hitting open face shots, less versatile IMO. Im gng game them 4 a bit and report back...

What grind SB or LB?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file