Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

These Pics make me sick

lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The golf course that I learned how to play golf on closed this spring. I loved this place. Even built a house in 1997 right across from it. I have to drive by it every so often and I have a hard time looking. It's now pasture for cows. Glad I went back and played it a few times last year. Lot of great memories.

7 dogleg left with a sloping green where you could 3 putt in a second

5 510 yard par 5. Tee shot was 218 carry over creek

15 Uphill par 3 178 yards

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
Ping G410 6-UW
Ping Glide 54,58ES
Scotty Cameron Newport 3
Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
Post edited by lawsonman on

Comments

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like losing an old friend.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,222 ClubWRX

That’s sad.

Many years ago I found an affordable house on a fairway of the Whitewater Country Club in Palm Springs. I had visions of walking on the course from my back yard in the evenings and practicing but my wife hated it.

FF several years and the course went bankrupt and closed. All the grass reverted to desert and the abandoned clubhouse eventually demolished.

For years homeowners have been involved in lawsuits and property values tanked due to the crappy looking half-desert half-dead grass areas.

Dodged a bullet there.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We were lucky too. We sold that house 5 years ago.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I was pretty bummed when my mom told me the little country muni where it all started for me shut down a couple years ago.

It was on 18 there when my dad let me putt out a little 3 footer for him to win the match he was playing in - I was probably 7 or 8 years old. The very next day he bought me a set of MacGregor Jack Nicklaus kid's clubs and I was off an running. It was like $100/yr for a kid's membership and I could play all I wanted for free. Mom would drop me and a buddy off there in the morning during the summers and we'd play all day till we'd get picked up.

As I got older and better, dad started taking me to nicer courses but I always had a soft spot for that little track. It's been at least 25 years - if not more - since I played it but I still remember every hole.

Titleist TS4 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 56°, 58°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Scramble King MichiganMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

It's a weird feeling, isn't it? I took my first golf lessons at age 9. At age 29, I was working for a homebuilder who had taken over and begun developing the land that my first golf lessons were held on. Phase 4 and 5 of that development were in the space that formerly occupied part of the back 9; a gorgeous, downhill, dogleg left par 4 became a dozen or so quarter-acre lots with shoddily-constructed McMansions. I can still see, in my mind's eye, that one blasted maple tree that ate so many of my errant hits (trying to cut that corner, and make the green).

edited Sep 12, 2019 11:03am #7

The course was very special. I actually met my wife there in 1978. I was on the board for 6 years. I used to get in my cart and go over almost every morning and play 5 or 6 holes. It was a very tough but fair track that had a loyal membership until many of the members started dying off and it got purchased by a guy out of Chicago.( no offense to my Chicago friends) He treated the locals like crap and tried to turn it into something it wasn't. Chased many of the membership away and that was the beginning of the end. I was a member for 27 years like someone said, it's almost like losing your best friend.

Post edited by lawsonman on

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The scary thing is, that from a distance, this course doesn't appear to be in much worse shape than some of the goat tracks I used to play in rural Georgia/Alabama.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 7:32pm #9

@lawsonman said:
    The course was very special. I actually met my wife there in 1978. I was on the board for 6 years. I used to get in my cart and go over almost every morning and play 5 or 6 holes. It was a very tough but fair track that had a loyal membership until many of the members started dying off and it got purchased by a guy out of Chicago.( no offense to my Chicago friends) He treated the locals like crap and tried to turn it into something it wasn't. Chased many of the membership away and that was the beginning of the end. I was a member for 27 years like someone said, it's almost like losing your best friend.

We had a guy from Chicago come to the Winston-Salem area and buy a course. He did much the same. A lot of old members left. Every time I was there, he watched me like a hawk. I guess he thought I was going to steal range balls or something. This guy almost ran this course into the ground. A local guy bought the course, started treating people well, and the course has made a nice comeback.

@jholz said:
    The scary thing is, that from a distance, this course doesn't appear to be in much worse shape than some of the goat tracks I used to play in rural Georgia/Alabama.

The guy that bought it just mowed it not too long ago.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lawsonman said:

@jholz said:

The guy that bought it just mowed it not too long ago.

**** man, just throw out tee box markers and some pins, dude could be charging $18 bucks to walk that place!

I'm totally joking of course, and certainly not attempting to make light of your pain. The course where my grandfather taught me to play was recently sold to a developer, so I know exactly how it goes. I'm afraid the next time I see it, that course will be nothing but tract housing and strip malls.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same situation with me. The first course where my parents joined, and second course I ever played, closed last year after Hurricane Florence. Owner just had enough.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The course l learned to play on closed
    The course my house backs onto closed
    Old friends ... gone

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m