Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

If you could buy a set that saved you more than ten strokes...

GautamaGautama Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 12, 2019 1:22am in Equipment #1

This is obviously a question for us middle and higher handicaps, but if you could buy a set of clubs that let you always break say 80, but with any other set your average game was like 90+, would you want to play it? What if it was twenty strokes better? What if you always shot level par? Random thought that came to me over a lonely beer in a steakhouse on the road traveling tonight, lol.

"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom

Comments

• bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 1:20am #2

Of course we all would. Lol.

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
    Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

• FadeFade Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am quite uncomfortable with the idea, though I am not sure why. A guaranteed sub-80 score just seems wrong. And an immediate 10+ stroke improvement would feel unearned, if accomplished that way. Fortunately, I do not think such a set exists, so I don't have to worry about this.

• CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 165 ClubWRX

I’m going to say no. You would have the knowledge that it’s not YOU scoring better, but the clubs. That would ruin the game for me

Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X
  • COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I would say you found your unicorn set that matches your swing. Still have to swing the club. In fact this is the reason we all agonize over every piece of golf equipment we buy. So chalk it up as that perfect fit and play it!

• HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Scramble King MichiganMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

If I could buy a set of clubs that saved me 10 strokes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I enjoy getting out casually, and enjoy the camaraderie of my few rounds per year, and shaving 10 strokes off would allow me to relax a little more, worry a little less, and take in the atmosphere with just a little more ease.

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only if I could afford it.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well since I already sold a kidney to obtain my current set, i would definitely check to see if they would take my other kidney in trade for this Unicorn set

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leverage my house to do it. But my stroke avg is around d 74-75 so to consistently shoot 64-65 would put me in Atlanta in late August every year...

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:13am #10

3 handicap right now - at a +7 I think I could make some money with this game. so **** yes.

If I could get that 20 stroke set - I would be a legend! I have 5 years before the seniors tour so I would catch Jack easily before I retire.

Post edited by 2bGood on
  • AlohaJoeAlohaJoe Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:07am #11

I honestly find enjoyment out of learning to hit more difficult clubs - for example, I'd rather work on hitting my 3i better as opposed to playing a hybrid. So I would not buy a set of clubs to save a bunch of strokes. But I know someone who would...

I also find that if I shoot really well, I pay the same amount of money for less time and strokes on the course!

(Have not broken 80, yet, but will.)

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The wording "let you always break xx" is not possible. If there was such possibility, then, we wouldn't be seeing the "15 yards longer" multi-million dollar advertisement. Instead we'll be seeing " you'll awlways break xx ", now lets see your money .............

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve bought plenty of clubs based on completely illusory fractions of strokes, so I’ve got to say yes. But there are too many things wrong with the hypothesis to start, beginning with conformity.

• stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No. I’d rather learn to play golf, than to have a given to me. The number isn’t as important as the journey.

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic
  • BLF0901BLF0901 Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 12:43pm #15

Depends how they look in the bag. if they look like the SGI shovels Ping and Callaway make, then no dice.

• larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy them unless they were so expensive that I'd have to take a 2nd loan out on the house.

TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-gw
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Magical set that made me always break 80? No.

Well fit set that helped me consistently break 80? Yes.

If my score is determined by magical clubs, why even play?

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not. Oh I forgot about the journey, the learning and growing process, and let us not forget having the game handed to us, uh yes gimme the set.

• GautamaGautama Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@howellhandmade said:
    But there are too many things wrong with the hypothesis to start, beginning with conformity.

Yeah, It's a purely hypothetical question, and obviously it doesn't exist. But I guess the question is, if you could solve all your headaches in this game with equipment, would you want to, and would the game still be fun or would it ruin it for you?

I think I'm in the camp that wouldn't want it, and am more about chasing the skills than the scores all these years, but I couldn't begin to tell you why, lol. But even if I had like a driver that I knew could never miss a fairway and would always carry 300, but still hit inconsistent bunts with anything else, I think I'd lose interest. And I'm pretty sure that explains a lot about why this game makes me crazy. I just might like the suffering that comes from trying to master something that can't be mastered 😂

"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, I would not.

• boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Never be such an iron. One has to find the answer in the dirt. Although it would be nice IF there were such a thing. If there was, then what would one want next??

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy 3 and turn pro.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:
    Magical set that made me always break 80? No.
    Well fit set that helped me consistently break 80? Yes.
    If my score is determined by magical clubs, why even play?

Expanding on MHBH, I would suggest that a set of clubs that would suddenly help one shoot around 80 would be clubs that fit the golfer's swing.

For example, a guy with 79 MPH driver clubhead speed that plays Callaway XForged irons with PX 6.5 shafts. He never breaks 90. Also - by chance - he can't get any iron longer than a 7-iron airborne on a regular basis. And, his Epic Subzero driver with the Aldila Rogue Max 75 Graphite in S-Flex never works the ball to 200 yards even with rollout.

Somebody in that situation needs to follow CNR's Rule No. 1 on equipment change for high HDCP golfers: Get clubs that won't hurt your game!!!

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably the most pointless thread I've seen on here. And that's saying a lot..

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4, T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyGilmore22 said:
    This is probably the most pointless thread I've seen on here. And that's saying a lot..

This type of thing always happen when the season starts winding down up north. There's a level of hopeless desperation that creeps into the threads. It's a little depressing to watch for those of us in year-around golf states.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Plenty of blades vs cavity back threads to participate in...

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've (just for curiosity) played a few rounds with a set of clubs that would have been popular about the time I was born. My current-day Ping or Titleist clubs are at least 10 strokes better for my game than those blades and persimmons would be.

So heck yeah, not only would I buy them I already own them!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Well I went to a PXG fitting yesterday. Always said money wouldn't be an issue if I hit them better. Hit a 3 and 5 wood. Both straighter and more forgiving then my current. $1800 AUD for a 3 and 5 wood.... That's a heap of lessons and the advantage with the lessons is everything will be better not just my fairway wood game so yer I passed.

Hitting it straight is overrated! 

• herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

@HappyGilmore22 said:

agree!

• GautamaGautama Members Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 2:25pm #31

@HappyGilmore22 said:

:D oh man, that's harsh! Well at least it's leading in something in your mind, I aim to please.

I don't know, I think some guys aren't getting it, but it seemed like a big revelation when I thought of it in terms of understanding my own sick obsession and motivations with the game, lol. Personally I want to know my swing performs under pressure, not my equipment, and I wouldn't want a game that completely fell apart when I played any other clubs. For me, I think it's fully owning my swing and skills that I'm chasing, not score, which probably has a lot to do with my twisted relationship with the game, and why my handicap hasn't changed in over a decade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file