Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

What's the deal with golf Channel's programing?

Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 12, 2019 3:33am in Tour Talk #1

Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....
Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

Post edited by Titleist99 on
«13

Comments

  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Arnold Palmer evening yesterday was great. The movies su-diddly-uck.

    Shell WW is always solid, ANY replay of ANY tournament is better than Tin Cup.

    ANY replay of ANY instructional show. I probably missed a few over the years. Replay the Big Break, I might even watch it this time.

    They have decent stuff earlier in the evening; there’s just the dreaded 8-10pm slot on non-tournament days where I’d like to watch a little golf before turning in and here comes effing Tin Cup.

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:24am #3

    Starting to think that it's only me that is fed up with this nonsense. I think that I'd rather see repeats of old tournaments rather than Tin Cup....
    Maybe even more Golf Central.....LOL!

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @howellhandmade said:
    The Arnold Palmer evening yesterday was great. The movies su-diddly-uck.

    Shell WW is always solid, ANY replay of ANY tournament is better than Tin Cup.

    ANY replay of ANY instructional show. I probably missed a few over the years. Replay the Big Break, I might even watch it this time.

    They have decent stuff earlier in the evening; there’s just the dreaded 8-10pm slot on non-tournament days where I’d like to watch a little golf before turning in and here comes effing Tin Cup.

    They take their viewers for granted....

  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    You don't like analyzing Tin Cup ?

    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • Golf ScientistGolf Scientist Members Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

    @Titleist99 said:
    Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....
    Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

    I agree that there is a lot of disappointing programming choices made by the person/people making the programming choices. (Especially playing the same show or movie back to back in a row over and over again.) You are unlikely to ever get your "televising every tournament" wish. It cost money for them to send and pay for people to work and film (as well as do all the behind the scenes/camera/spotting, etc ) that takes place in a broadcast. Likewise they usually don't have spotters / announcers with every group out there.

    I agree I'd like to see some of the old Shell Wonderful World of Golf telecasts with the likes of Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Fred Couples, etc. (You've heard that one of the voices of that pasted away recently - Jack Whitiker ? - right?)

    Current set makeup:
    M5 driver with Evenflow shaft
    M5 3 and 5 metals with Evenflow shafts
    GAPR 4 and 5 hybrids with KBS hybrid shafts
    P790 irons 6-AW with Nippon 950 shafts
    Callaway PM 60*, PM 56* wedges with KBS Tour-V shafts
    Spider putter





  • NevinWNevinW Southside, West VirginiaClubWRX Posts: 1,138 ClubWRX

    I'm sure that it has to do with cost. They can probably get the rights to show those movies over and over for considerably less than other programming. Probably, who ever owns the rights to Shell's WWOG wants too much money. They may also have rating data that more people watch those movies than WWOG in the past.

  • HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Scramble King MichiganMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

    I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @KrazyTrain18 said:
    You don't like analyzing Tin Cup ?

  • freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

    bring back The Big Break

  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    The golf channel suffers from the same thing that MTV did. It forgot/forgets what the channel was intended for.

    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 2:19pm #12

    If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-up will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

    Post edited by Rangeballz on
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @Rangeballz said:
    If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-uo will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

    LOL! What a horrible thought....

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @HappyGilmoresBoots said:
    I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

    Do you mean sit down with a pro and have him analyze the program that he is watching? They could also have the champion narrate a tournament and let the viewing audience know what was going through his mind at the time and throw in some instruction regarding the shots he was hitting. That would only require some editing and a couple of chairs...

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @freeze16172002 said:
    bring back The Big Break

    All they would need is a driver and wedge challenge. Match play is such a big deal on this board they include a lot of that...LOL!

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @NevinW said:
    I'm sure that it has to do with cost. They can probably get the rights to show those movies over and over for considerably less than other programming. Probably, who ever owns the rights to Shell's WWOG wants too much money. They may also have rating data that more people watch those movies than WWOG in the past.

    I'd rather have more talking heads...Hard to believe that anything is less expensive than that...This board proves that people love to talk golf.....LOL!

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @Golf Scientist said:

    @Titleist99 said:
    Don't think that I can take another Tin cup or Bobby Jones episode. What kind of programing would you like to see other than the scheduled golf programming……..here is your opportunity to tell those executives what is on our minds....let have more Shell wonderful world of golf matches for starters. How's that for starters...How 'bout televising all tournaments. How 'bout more full shots and less putting.....
    Tournament coverage is acceptable but the after hour stuff is awful......carry on!

    I agree that there is a lot of disappointing programming choices made by the person/people making the programming choices. (Especially playing the same show or movie back to back in a row over and over again.) You are unlikely to ever get your "televising every tournament" wish. It cost money for them to send and pay for people to work and film (as well as do all the behind the scenes/camera/spotting, etc ) that takes place in a broadcast. Likewise they usually don't have spotters / announcers with every group out there.

    I agree I'd like to see some of the old Shell Wonderful World of Golf telecasts with the likes of Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Fred Couples, etc. (You've heard that one of the voices of that pasted away recently - Jack Whitiker ? - right?'

    Here's a novel thought...why not create more matches. How 'bout The FedEx Fabulous Series Of Golf. Lets find another Jack Whitiker...

  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Rangeballz said:
    If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-up will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

    NBC will just convert it to something else like NBC Sports Channel 2.

    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • jpcortesejpcortese Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

    Just saw that Michelle Wie is joining the Golf Channel starting this weekend. Not sure what she will be doing. Is this a sign that her golfing career is over?

  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jpcortese said:
    Just saw that Michelle Wie is joining the Golf Channel starting this weekend. Not sure what she will be doing. Is this a sign that her golfing career is over?

    ummm ..... ummmmmm. ya, ummmm for sure.

    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Ideas for Golf Channel

    All Square: Brandel Chamblee develops a split personality and debates himself for two hours every morning
    Robert Damron's Dance Party: the hottest and freshest music and dance moves from the early 90s are back!
    Beat the Clock: Peter Kessler returns to Golf Channel! He hosts a talk show and if can make it an entire hour without getting fired, he and each member of the studio audience get $100.
    Who wants to be a TPC? Courses from around the country compete to be the next course in the TPC family.
    The Commish: Jay Monahan plays golf with corporate big wigs and tries to land deals for tournament sponsors.
    CARTS: Caddyshack style cartoon featuring talking golf carts that replaced the caddies

    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Golf Channel should do more on courses, course design, architecture, etc. They have that Round Trip show but that is more like an advertisement with Matt Ginella trying to be Anthony Bourdain. I would like a weekly show with some more depth and detail on that topic.

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @Darth Putter said:
    Ideas for Golf Channel

    All Square: Brandel Chamblee develops a split personality and debates himself for two hours every morning
    Robert Damron's Dance Party: the hottest and freshest music and dance moves from the early 90s are back!
    Beat the Clock: Peter Kessler returns to Golf Channel! He hosts a talk show and if can make it an entire hour without getting fired, he and each member of the studio audience get $100.
    Who wants to be a TPC? Courses from around the country compete to be the next course in the TPC family.
    The Commish: Jay Monahan plays golf with corporate big wigs and tries to land deals for tournament sponsors.
    CARTS: Caddyshack style cartoon featuring talking golf carts that replaced the caddies

    All that would certainly be an improvement on what we have now....LOL! I'm very intrigued with that Brandel thing...LOL! The golf purist will have your head for the blasphemy.

  • SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

    I wish they'd air more replays of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from back in the day

    TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:55pm #25

    @LICC said:
    Golf Channel should do more on courses, course design, architecture, etc. They have that Round Trip show but that is more like an advertisement with Matt Ginella trying to be Anthony Bourdain. I would like a weekly show with some more depth and detail on that topic.

    I actually like Matt and his traveling shows. I would watch a show that goes further in to architecture "The Creating of a Golf Course" They could take us from the purchase of the land to opening day......a ten part series.

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Titleist99 said:

    @LICC said:
    Golf Channel should do more on courses, course design, architecture, etc. They have that Round Trip show but that is more like an advertisement with Matt Ginella trying to be Anthony Bourdain. I would like a weekly show with some more depth and detail on that topic.

    I actually like Matt and his traveling shows. I would watch a show that goes further in to architecture "The Creating of a Golf Course"

    I like him and the show too, but it doesn't really get into the details of the golf courses that much.

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    Golf Channel should be sold to The Discovery Channel......bet we'd have all kinds of programing like " On the Golf Course Naked and Afraid"......LOL!

  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jpcortese said:
    Just saw that Michelle Wie is joining the Golf Channel starting this weekend. Not sure what she will be doing. Is this a sign that her golfing career is over?

    She’s working as an in studio analyst for the solheim cup.

  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

    @SavageCy said:
    I wish they'd air more replays of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from back in the day

    I'm sure that after awhile we'd grow tired of those...that's why I'm for making some new ones....

  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Id honestly watch the seasons of Big Break again... especially the first few seasons (PULL IT TIGHT). It would be interesting to rewatch a lot of those guys and girls that we now know or lost track of....

  • SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

    @Titleist99 said:

    @SavageCy said:
    I wish they'd air more replays of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from back in the day

    I'm sure that after awhile we'd grow tired of those...that's why I'm for making some new ones....
    My bad I didn't read all the prior posts so missed where this was mentioned

    TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file