GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Buy Now then get fit...or get fit then buy?

simpy16 ·  
simpy16simpy16 Members  13WRX Points: 7Posts: 13 Bunkers

I don't have a ton of places around me to get a proper putting analysis done. I would really like to get a new Scotty Cameron Newport 2 but unsure on what lenght, if would need any lie adjustments on it. Would cutting it down if I went 35" devalue it later on? How many changes can be made?
I am currently have a early-mid 2000s Ping G2i Anser putter that I like, I enjoyed it over my a mallet I had back in the day, again not sure if an analysis would reveal I putt better with a mallet.
Any thoughts on this and help from those who have higher end putters would be helpful, just not sure how you should treat a putter compared to the other clubs in your bag.

Posted:

Titleist TS3 8.5* PX EF T1000 65 S
Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue 75 X
Taylormade p790 (4-PW) Nippon 120 X flex
Callway MD3 50*
Taylormade Rac 56*
Callaway MD3 60*
Ping G2i Anser

Comments

• Speltz14Speltz14 Members  25WRX Points: 20Posts: 25 Bunkers

I wouldn't think it would devalue it at all, since the new putters all have weights in them the length doesn't matter as much as it did back then.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members  3497WRX Points: 212Posts: 3,497 Titanium Tees

If you buy a used Scotty, test it, resell it, you will lose very little in resale. If you buy a new Scotty and do same same, you will lose a couple hundred bucks.
    Cutting down doesnt generally devalue too much, but once you get under 34" it generally becomes more difficult to sell...and usually sells for a bit less.

Overall...i would advise to get fit first...buy second. Test drive a car...then buy.

Posted:
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • ckayckay Members  4662WRX Points: 732Posts: 4,662 Titanium Tees

Buy what you like when it comes to a putter. If you buy right, you can use it for a while and lose little on it.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • MattM97MattM97 Members  1437WRX Points: 641Posts: 1,437 Platinum Tees

The only time I would say buy before fit/testing is if it's a deal and a legit deal you cannot pass up where if the club doesn't work you can sell it for what you paid.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Ping G410 LST - 13.5° - Aldila 2KXV Green 75X
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Tensei CK Orange Pro 90TX
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Callaway MD4 Raw 56° - Callaway PM19 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer 

Instagram:

• skygod987skygod987 Northern IllinoisMembers  77WRX Points: 61Handicap: 8.1Posts: 77 Fairways

Fit then buy.... No doubt.

Posted:
  • RobNY22RobNY22 Members  427WRX Points: 59Posts: 427 Greens

Purchase the PING cradle to attach to your current putter and download the app. You put some basic info in there and hit 5 putts with it and it will give you a basic reading of length, lie, stroke type, and head weight based off of your swing path and tempo. It’s basic, but will give you an idea of what should work for you. It’s better than nothing and if anything is a fun tool to mess around with.

Posted:
    PING G25 10.5°
    PING G25 4W/16.5°
    PING G25 3H/20°
    PING i200 4 - UW
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 54°, 58°
    Mizuno M Craft II
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • simpy16simpy16 Members  13WRX Points: 7Posts: 13 Bunkers

Thanks everyone. While I would really like to just have something new and shiny I am going to wait and figure out how to get fitted first, I figure a putter is something you use on almost every hole and it would be great to find something that fits me to help lower my scores.

Posted:

Titleist TS3 8.5* PX EF T1000 65 S
    Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue 75 X
    Taylormade p790 (4-PW) Nippon 120 X flex
    Callway MD3 50*
    Taylormade Rac 56*
    Callaway MD3 60*
    Ping G2i Anser

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.