College Athletes being allowed to get paid

kekoa

from a golf point of view will this even matter? Maybe getting an agent early on but you couldn't take money due to USGA status. Other sports this is HUGE allowing bigger stars in football and basketball to really get agents and make money of their brand and likeness. NCAA does need to fix some policy's be interesting to see how this all plays out and if other states would follow.

This is really only for sports that generate cash for their schools so that is Football and Basketball teams in general. In football the risk of injury is high. With as much money being made by those teams I would expect we will see some sort of salary that can offered in certain sports. Too many big schools in California to ignore.

When it comes to golf I doubt it really matters. Anyone who can get a decent endorsement or agent just quits school and turns pro. You would be stupid if you didn't and I don't see that changing.

> @darter79 said:

> from a golf point of view will this even matter? Maybe getting an agent early on but you couldn't take money due to USGA status. Other sports this is HUGE allowing bigger stars in football and basketball to really get agents and make money of their brand and likeness. NCAA does need to fix some policy's be interesting to see how this all plays out and if other states would follow.

I don’t actually believe the bill will pass. I fully expect certain people to get “paid” to make this go away. All the 5 start recruits will go to California school if this did happen and their basketball and football games would draw more interest than the ncaa.

I fully support the players getting paid fairly for their revenue they generate. To all of those people that say that their education is payment...so many people are going to college that has severely discount most degrees.

Pac 12 is about to be lit! No decent player would go to school anywhere else outside of California if they are any good and are looking to profit off of their likeness. Recruiting is going to be a breeze for these coaches and hopefully CA schools separate themselves from the NCAA altogether creating their own playoff / bowl series. You're potentially looking at the new G League for basketball and an NFL developmental league all here in Cali. Can't wait to see coaches like Dabo and Saban jockeying for the head coaching positions at some of the smaller D1 schools here of which there are 24... more than any other state.

edit: just to add a few other points... TV rights will go through the roof for these schools and bring a ton of money into the CA higher ed system. The bidding war for the TV rights between ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC, CBS, etc. is going to be insane. Also, with the growth of football and basketball primarily, you're looking at a lot of capital expense for these schools to get their stadiums and arenas built up to handle the increased focus. Lots of potential jobs would be created just through this simple act.

And if you're not reading through the lines here, realize that this isn't being done for the betterment of the students. This is all a money play by the California State Legislature to increase the tax base. Always, always, always follow the money.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> Pac 12 is about to be lit! No decent player would go to school anywhere else outside of California if they are any good and are looking to profit off of their likeness. Recruiting is going to be a breeze for these coaches and hopefully CA schools separate themselves from the NCAA altogether creating their own playoff / bowl series. You're potentially looking at the new G League for basketball and an NFL developmental league all here in Cali. Can't wait to see coaches like Dabo and Saban jockeying for the head coaching positions at some of the smaller D1 schools here of which there are 24... more than any other state.

>

> edit: just to add a few other points... TV rights will go through the roof for these schools and bring a ton of money into the CA higher ed system. The bidding war for the TV rights between ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC, CBS, etc. is going to be insane. Also, with the growth of football and basketball primarily, you're looking at a lot of capital expense for these schools to get their stadiums and arenas built up to handle the increased focus. Lots of potential jobs would be created just through this simple act.

>

> And if you're not reading through the lines here, realize that this isn't being done for the betterment of the students. This is all a money play by the California State Legislature to increase the tax base. Always, always, always follow the money.

If it happens, I see it backfiring. The biggest TV revenue is on the East Coast. The Pac-12 legitimately sucks for Football and Basketball. No one is going to watch the games on TV because who cares if UCLA is playing Pepperdine? It will be like high school extended.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Pac 12 is about to be lit! No decent player would go to school anywhere else outside of California if they are any good and are looking to profit off of their likeness. Recruiting is going to be a breeze for these coaches and hopefully CA schools separate themselves from the NCAA altogether creating their own playoff / bowl series. You're potentially looking at the new G League for basketball and an NFL developmental league all here in Cali. Can't wait to see coaches like Dabo and Saban jockeying for the head coaching positions at some of the smaller D1 schools here of which there are 24... more than any other state.

> >

> > edit: just to add a few other points... TV rights will go through the roof for these schools and bring a ton of money into the CA higher ed system. The bidding war for the TV rights between ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC, CBS, etc. is going to be insane. Also, with the growth of football and basketball primarily, you're looking at a lot of capital expense for these schools to get their stadiums and arenas built up to handle the increased focus. Lots of potential jobs would be created just through this simple act.

> >

> > And if you're not reading through the lines here, realize that this isn't being done for the betterment of the students. This is all a money play by the California State Legislature to increase the tax base. Always, always, always follow the money.

>

> If it happens, I see it backfiring. The biggest TV revenue is on the East Coast. The Pac-12 legitimately sucks for Football and Basketball. No one is going to watch the games on TV because who cares if UCLA is playing Pepperdine? It will be like high school extended.

Right, they aren't good now but give the athletes an opportunity to make money and all of the 5 star recruits end up in California. The SEC will be an afterthought for football and basketball players are going to say, "who are the Blue Devils and why should I care?".

I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

> @BertGA said:

> I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

>

> It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

> @cwglum said:

> Have never agreed that any college athlete should be paid. If you want to get a paycheck, go Pro. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough to go pro and agree to the terms and conditions offered to you in a scholarship, get your education and say thank you for the opportunity.

Well there lies the problem. It might work that way in golf and tennis where you can just turn pro, but the major money-making sports have had their professional equivalent basically mandate that players have to have college playing time.

That to me is the unfair part. The NCAA is a multi Billion dollar organization that does very little to protect amateurism. It just made every dominant program better at shuffling money under a table.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> >

> > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

>

> You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

If it passes, and proves to be a competitive advantage, either the NCAA will find a way to neutralize it, or every other state will adopt it.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> >

> > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

>

> You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

It’s also a state that bans plastic straws, hands out needles, and taxes cow farts among other asinine things. Dang maybe that’s it, find another way to stick their hands in someone else’s pockets. They can pass it if they want and you can have a few colleges playing for state championship that will no longer be part of the ncaa.

> @596 said:

> Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> @2bGood said:

> > @596 said:

> > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

>

> Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

Then don’t sign on the line.

> @2bGood said:

> Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

This is completely inaccurate - very bad math.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> > >

> > > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

> >

> > You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

>

> It’s also a state that bans plastic straws, hands out needles, and taxes cow farts among other asinine things. Dang maybe that’s it, find another way to stick their hands in someone else’s pockets. They can pass it if they want and you can have a few colleges playing for state championship that will no longer be part of the ncaa.

@BiggErn I don't think you understand how irrelevant the NCAA will be if this happens. Enjoy watching high school varsity football in a few years because that's the last time you'll see any star players before they turn pro.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> > > >

> > > > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

> > >

> > > You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

> >

> > It’s also a state that bans plastic straws, hands out needles, and taxes cow farts among other asinine things. Dang maybe that’s it, find another way to stick their hands in someone else’s pockets. They can pass it if they want and you can have a few colleges playing for state championship that will no longer be part of the ncaa.

>

> @BiggErn I don't think you understand how irrelevant the NCAA will be if this happens. Enjoy watching high school varsity football in a few years because that's the last time you'll see any star players before they turn pro.

Wouldn't some of the "minor" California schools who don't make a ton of $ simply drop their athletic programs?

> @CTgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

> > > >

> > > > You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

> > >

> > > It’s also a state that bans plastic straws, hands out needles, and taxes cow farts among other asinine things. Dang maybe that’s it, find another way to stick their hands in someone else’s pockets. They can pass it if they want and you can have a few colleges playing for state championship that will no longer be part of the ncaa.

> >

> > @BiggErn I don't think you understand how irrelevant the NCAA will be if this happens. Enjoy watching high school varsity football in a few years because that's the last time you'll see any star players before they turn pro.

>

> Wouldn't some of the "minor" California schools who don't make a ton of $ simply drop their athletic programs?

Even the Browns make money and these teams would arguably be better than they have been in the last decade.

> @2bGood said:

> > @596 said:

> > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

>

In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @596 said:

> > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> >

> > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

>

> In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> @2bGood said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @596 said:

> > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > >

> > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> >

> > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

>

> I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

>

>

My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.