Honda Jr. Classic

Morning Brain Trust,

I have seen some discussions on the Honda Jr. Classic but want to get some detailed feedback. I am thinking of making the drive down with my son in January and letting him play either the 9-10 (9 hole) or the 10-11 (36 hole). The 9-10 will be what he is accustomed to playing and if he plays well he can finish well up in that division with the 10-11 a pretty big step up where he would be going down with very little expectation of a high finish. Any who, is it worth the drive for us to come down as his first big fun out of state experience? We have missed out on worlds by a small margin two years in a row so want to let him experience something similar where we make a trip to play. I have heard overall good things about the tournament but want to hear some more first hand from you guys.

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a solid tournament at a good, not great facility. The courses are fun and well maintained. The tournament itself is well run and the tee gifts are worth the fee unlike USKG. The one really cool part is that they will have started to assemble all of the stands for the Honda. Pretty cool seeing them go up that early.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

Heavy is dead on the mark. It is a really well run tournament and the tee gifts are really nice. Last year my daughter played in the 11 year old age group and received a Gatorade towel, Gatorade duffel bag, Honda Classic Umbrella, and something else that I forget at the moment. Because they partnered with Gatorade, there were tons of drinks on the course for the kids and they even gave away Gatorade bars and chews before the tournament. The course and facility is nice. We didn't stay on property because its expensive but we had a great time. I gave my daughter the option of doing the US Kids Holiday Classic or the Honda Junior this year. Both are located at the same facility and are only a few weeks apart. She chose to do the Holiday Classic because she would be competing against other 12 year olds where in the Honda, they group the 12 & 13 together. The plan is to do it next year when is 13 and at the top of that age group. There is no question that the tournament is well worth it.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

>

> I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

>

> We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

Not to thread HiJack.... but did you like the Publix Doral?

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

>

> I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

>

> We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

Glad you brought that up and it is definitely a factor. That is the main reason I am leaning more towards the 9 hole if we go because I think it will be a big confidence boost. Being in AL we really don't have an "off-season" where he can't play so if we go he will be practicing and playing in preparation. He typically does his best when he has a big carrot ahead of him like this tourney. As well, the times when he shuts down are mid-September to mid-November as my work schedule coaching really interferes. Also, being a teacher, I am off for the two weeks prior to the tourney so he can get a lot of prep in then, also I don't coach from mid-November to late-January so much more available time.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

> >

> > I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

> >

> > We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

>

> Not to thread HiJack.... but did you like the Publix Doral?

We went last December. It was a well-run event and Trump Doral is a great resort with well-maintained courses. We had fun overall, but not playing his best definitely prevented my son from really enjoying it despite being in Miami (nice weather) in December.

He actually had more fun at the Optimist earlier that year, playing in Palm Beach Gardens in 110 heat index in July. That was his first multi-day 18-hole event without a caddy. It is during the peak time for golf for us in the northeast, and the combination of 1) playing his first big event, 2) without a caddy, 3) in extreme conditions (heat) it was a bit of a breakthrough and confidence builder. I think that is pretty important for a 10yo.

You will see a lot kids and it overall is ok. I didn't like the squire course the younger kids played last year as I don't think it compares to the other courses.

**The good things are:**

PGA National can be a great place if you never been and this time of year is a great to be in south florida.

Competition is solid you will not see a small field.

IMG puts on ok tournaments and for the price you play at a decent resort especially during peak season.

**Some of the cons:**

Not all courses are the same and only the oldest kids play the champion course which is what you see on TV. Some of the courses are not that great.

Practice rounds are stupid expensive at PGA national if you want to do them ahead of time (*club corp or *palmer affiliate clubs have a good deal)

This is played during peak time in tourist season for South Florida so Hotels are very pricey. Book early if you can.

I am on the fence this year as I said before girls mostly play the squire course and I rather play a different course. Also I Hate the timing being the first week of January. It is right after Christmas an even though we play golf over the holidays a lot distractions so it is really hard to be 100% focused on preparations . However I do not have to travel and it does kick off the year nicely.

> @tiger1873 said:

> You will see a lot kids and it overall is ok. I didn't like the squire course the younger kids played last year as I don't think it compares to the other courses.

>

> **The good things are:**

>

> PGA National can be a great place if you never been and this time of year is a great to be in south florida.

> Competition is solid you will not see a small field.

> IMG puts on ok tournaments and for the price you play at a decent resort especially during peak season.

>

> **Some of the cons:**

>

> Not all courses are the same and only the oldest kids play the champion course which is what you see on TV. Some of the courses are not that great.

>

> Practice rounds are stupid expensive at PGA national if you want to do them ahead of time (*club corp or *palmer affiliate clubs have a good deal)

>

> This is played during peak time in tourist season for South Florida so Hotels are very pricey. Book early if you can.

>

>

> I am on the fence this year as I said before girls mostly play the squire course and I rather play a different course. Also I Hate the timing being the first week of January. It is right after Christmas an even though we play golf over the holidays a lot distractions so it is really hard to be 100% focused on preparations . However I do not have to travel and it does kick off the year nicely.

They are no longer Palmer affiliated.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

> >

> > I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

> >

> > We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

>

> Glad you brought that up and it is definitely a factor. That is the main reason I am leaning more towards the 9 hole if we go because I think it will be a big confidence boost. Being in AL we really don't have an "off-season" where he can't play so if we go he will be practicing and playing in preparation. He typically does his best when he has a big carrot ahead of him like this tourney. As well, the times when he shuts down are mid-September to mid-November as my work schedule coaching really interferes. Also, being a teacher, I am off for the two weeks prior to the tourney so he can get a lot of prep in then, also I don't coach from mid-November to late-January so much more available time.

Great point, I second this. We did the Holiday Classic a few years ago and also the Copperhead (January in Tampa) last year. Before both he hadn't played much, we got caught up in the busy holiday season and he just wasnt prepared to compete. While all of these tmnts are still fun at this age and we try to couple them with family vacations, going forward we're trying to structure more of a "golf tmnt season" aiming to only play in tmnts that he can be well prepared for ...likely framing that season From April - August. While getting your butt whooped can be motivating and a good lesson sometimes , it is not when it happens because you didnt give your child the time or attention to properly prepare.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > You will see a lot kids and it overall is ok. I didn't like the squire course the younger kids played last year as I don't think it compares to the other courses.

> >

> > **The good things are:**

> >

> > PGA National can be a great place if you never been and this time of year is a great to be in south florida.

> > Competition is solid you will not see a small field.

> > IMG puts on ok tournaments and for the price you play at a decent resort especially during peak season.

> >

> > **Some of the cons:**

> >

> > Not all courses are the same and only the oldest kids play the champion course which is what you see on TV. Some of the courses are not that great.

> >

> > Practice rounds are stupid expensive at PGA national if you want to do them ahead of time (*club corp or *palmer affiliate clubs have a good deal)

> >

> > This is played during peak time in tourist season for South Florida so Hotels are very pricey. Book early if you can.

> >

> >

> > I am on the fence this year as I said before girls mostly play the squire course and I rather play a different course. Also I Hate the timing being the first week of January. It is right after Christmas an even though we play golf over the holidays a lot distractions so it is really hard to be 100% focused on preparations . However I do not have to travel and it does kick off the year nicely.

>

> They are no longer Palmer affiliated.

That sucks I wasn't aware of that. I guess only club corp clubs can play if for cart fee only now. I know it's one the few clubs in the area we can't play either. Last time I checked unless you were a few days before the tournament the price was pretty high to play there. I can't remember the exact price but I want to say it was $175 or $195 a round? Don't know the prices to stay during the honda tournament but I would check around as there are lots of cheaper hotels in the area.

> @hangontight said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > Coming at it from a slightly different angle: what is his game like at that time of year?

> > >

> > > I believe you mentioned before you live in AL. Is he playing and practicing actively around then and is he playing his best? I think the experience could be less than ideal if he goes and struggles because he is rusty, knowing that he could have played better if it was during the middle of his normal golf calendar schedule.

> > >

> > > We experienced this in the past, playing in the Doral Publix and Holiday Classic down in FL, when he was 1-2 months removed from end of the golf season here, while kids in FL are during their peak time for golf. He played poorly and others played great - was not a confidence builder.

> >

> > Glad you brought that up and it is definitely a factor. That is the main reason I am leaning more towards the 9 hole if we go because I think it will be a big confidence boost. Being in AL we really don't have an "off-season" where he can't play so if we go he will be practicing and playing in preparation. He typically does his best when he has a big carrot ahead of him like this tourney. As well, the times when he shuts down are mid-September to mid-November as my work schedule coaching really interferes. Also, being a teacher, I am off for the two weeks prior to the tourney so he can get a lot of prep in then, also I don't coach from mid-November to late-January so much more available time.

>

> Great point, I second this. We did the Holiday Classic a few years ago and also the Copperhead (January in Tampa) last year. Before both he hadn't played much, we got caught up in the busy holiday season and he just wasnt prepared to compete. While all of these tmnts are still fun at this age and we try to couple them with family vacations, going forward we're trying to structure more of a "golf tmnt season" aiming to only play in tmnts that he can be well prepared for ...likely framing that season From April - August. While getting your butt whooped can be motivating and a good lesson sometimes , it is not when it happens because you didnt give your child the time or attention to properly prepare.

Absolutely, why we are skipping a tournament I would love for him to play in mid-November. I have basically no time to work with him for the 8 weeks before so I feel he would be going in woefully unprepared and that is not fair to him.