Putter headcovers

Comments

• EmmEmm Members Posts: 357
    ^^^ Not sure what all the covers in bags are all about. lol

But yeah I use a cover, the cheapest black cover I have is used for the golf course. Allows me to throw it near my bag as I walk onto the green without being too precious about it. We only get a few weeks of completely dry golf so anything too fancy would get messed up fairly to quickly. image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
  • alfiealfie Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭
    edited Oct 1, 2008 #63
    Well, I may be in the minority (in terms of "weirdness" and how I use the putter headcovers)...

I have the OEM headcover for my TM Spider to use for basically all ocassions, but when I go play a round (either 9 or 18 holes), then I switch out the OEM headcover for a beat up Snake Eyes putter cover I bought on the used bin at my local Golfsmith for about $5. This way, while playing, I'm not worried if this headcover gets dirty, wet or lost, as I NEED to always have some sort of headcover on all my woods, hybids & putter...

This same routine/logic (switching out headcovers) also applies for my back up TM Siena #4 putter, but may have to contemplate on getting a generic headcover, as right now it's the OEM and the Flying Tiger Camo for this putter (we all know how awesome the Flying Tiger Camo looks, so, as of right now, that's the one being used for "all ocassions").

Sample picture of a flying tiger camo:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?ac...t&id=243465
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jcigarsjcigars Members Posts: 2,194 ✭✭
    I think the headovers are cool image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' />

• LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    Putter Covers are Money. Literally!

One of my favs...

• El CrabEl Crab Members Posts: 419
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members Posts: 2,999
    I have a few. I don't collect them, just have the ones that came with my putters and a couple of extras. image/man_in_love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> Made the rack myself. I need to make a putter stand next.

2925417319_9d15807393_b.jpg
  • funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    68_1_b.JPG I have this one in the mail...
  • Jack aMMoJack aMMo Members Posts: 338
    I always use one when playing.
  • flowriderflowrider Hacker, plain and simple Members Posts: 220
    Yup I always use one for several reasons. It protects the other clubs shafts (driver, hybrids graphite shafted) and also so the wife doesn't notice that I bought another new putter cuz it just has the same old headcover on it!!! Okay, maybe it's mostly the second reason!!
  • CPSOXCPSOX Members Posts: 489
    Always use one. When playing w/ a caddy, I'll tell them that when I use a putter I'll keep track of the cover so they don't have to worry about it when doing their duties around the green. It's the polite way of saying that I want the **** cover on at all times!

Obviously have quite a few Cameron covers, but I have even more covers from the courses I play. Usually they're ~$20 ea and a pretty cheap way to remember a fun round of golf.
  • jcvandammejcvandamme Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    I always use the headcover for my Scotty, as it serves 2 purposes: #1 it protects the putter while it's in the bag, #2 when I pick it up from the fringe after a 3-putt, I throw the headcover toward the next tee rather than the Scotty itself...
  • eggseggs Members Posts: 260
    Always use one now - a year after using one full time on my new putter, played a couple of rounds without one and got a couple of topline nicks near the toe; annoying!

Anyway, got a Mizuno magnetic one from Japan (it's a Cally Ti 'Tour Blue' putter) that I wouldn't be without now.

I do get p!ssed with the velcro closure ones though (getting old and fussy!) but they're a lot better than nothing.
  • 63Brummie63Brummie 63Brummie Members Posts: 459
    beruo wrote on Jul 12 2008, 05:02 PM:
    RIDEamountain wrote on Jul 12 2008, 03:04 PM:
    Absolutely.

RIDE

Even with the stainless steel strategically placed to prevent bag chatter? image/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

R0014798.jpg

As for me, covers always get used, but I'm pretty anal with all my putters. Even the stainless Pings get wiped after each green before getting covered again.

With a putter like this who can blame you?

I "baby" all of my clubs especially the putter.

63Brummie image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

fairways and greens
  • rhlakerhlake Members Posts: 14
    Always cover the putter
  • mshillsmshills T-I-G-E-R-S! Fight Tigers, fight dammit, FIGHT FIGHT! Members Posts: 3,816 ✭✭
    edited Nov 11, 2008 #76
    Funny - when I was growing up as a caddy, putter covers were so rare that they were nearly unheard of. Then again, putters were different and not milled out of the softer metals that they are made of now - I'd say a good 75% of players had some type of stainless Ping putter or a Bullseye of some sort. Seldom did anyone even think of a putter cover.

I think this started to change with the original Odyssey "Rossie" putters and the trend towards soft(er) faces.

On the rare occasion that I did have one (or very rarely - both) bags with a putter cover I never had any issues keeping track of them.

Not to thread-jack, but iron covers were a different story - if I encountered a bag with iron covers, the first thing I'd do was remove them and put them in the player's bag. Only one time did the player ask what I was doing, and I said "Making sure that you get these back!" image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> We both had a good laugh about that. No way was I keeping track of two sacks, six wood covers, twenty eight clubs, one large towel, at least two balls, AND iron covers. Then again, I never once saw nice irons "under cover." When I was caddying, clubs were tools, not collector's items. For that matter, a fair number of members never used wood head covers.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
    TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
    Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
    TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
    Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
    Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
    Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
    Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather
  • v205v205 Members Posts: 84
    edited Nov 13, 2008 #77
    Ping contour for my anser 2 style putter. Nice and compact and nothing to open and close but yet comes off easy and goes on easy, and it stays on snug. Best putter cover I've ever had compared to the big velcro ones...

http://www.theworldofgolf.com/item.asp?page=8479
  • gdugdu Members Posts: 335
    absolutely. Between every hole without question.
    PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper
    Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES
    Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 760 ES
    Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15
    PING Glide 2.0 54
    ° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    TaylorMade 2017 TP5
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members Posts: 2,533
    Unless I'm using a really special putter, I take the cover off before I start playing. Same w/ the driver cover.
  • showtime212showtime212 Members Posts: 78
    if anyone cares,Rocket tour headcovers are coming out in Feb. or March with putter covers.no pix yet
  • BostonBobBostonBob Members Posts: 264
    Using a putter cover was the only good habit I got into when I started this game, and I'm unable to comfortably move forward in my round until the putter cover is back on the putter. My playing partners have name for this little bit of OCD behavior that is unsuitable for this board.

I lost a couple of wedges around greens because I was careless about picking them up after putting. Now, before I step onto the green I take the putter cover off and put it on the wedge before I put the wedge down.

Haven't left a putter cover (or a wedge) behind since.
  • KevinDKevinD Members Posts: 17
    I always do. I want to protect the face from a deep club ding.
  • IUbball23IUbball23 Members Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    I got one of the white/red Bettinardi Stinger headcovers when I got my Betti, used it for a few rounds but my habit is to take it off and throw it on the ground when I walk to the green... Got to thinking that it is just way to cool and pretty of a headcover to be throwing on the ground like that, not to mention 1 of 50 made. So now I have the nylon Camo Betti headcover, if I'm not putting, it's on the flatstick.
    Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 8.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana X17 60x)
    Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 15*(Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 70x)
    Nike VR Pro LTD 19* 5-wood (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 80x)
    Titleist TM-B 3-iron (Nippon Modus 120x)
    PXG 0311T 4-PW (Fujikura MCi 120x)
    TaylorMade MG Black 52* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
    Nike Origin B2-01
  • SV GolferSV Golfer Big hitter the Lama. Long. Members Posts: 181
    For me, it's all about resale value. And looking good of course image/cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />

This is what I'm rocking on my Scotty...

• Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members Posts: 2,533
    SV Golfer wrote on Feb 20 2009, 07:55 AM:
    For me, it's all about resale value. And looking good of course image/cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />

This is what I'm rocking on my Scotty...

That's funny because that headcover has a horrible resale value and is widely regarded as one of the ugliest Cameron covers ever.

All that matters is whether you like it or not...I'm not knocking your taste. Just thought it was funny.
  • pastatimepastatime Members Posts: 374
    Is that denim, if it is I second that lol
  • 3mulligans3mulligans Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I just ordered 2 Como! Come! putter covers from their website.

**** this forum. What do i need TWO putter covers for?
  • VilladsenVilladsen Members Posts: 117
    3mulligans wrote on Feb 25 2009, 06:14 AM:

I know what you are saying... I too have bought TWO Como Come headcovers for my 1 C&L putter ha ha..
  • 3mulligans3mulligans Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Villadsen wrote on Feb 27 2009, 01:06 PM:
    3mulligans wrote on Feb 25 2009, 06:14 AM:

I know what you are saying... I too have bought TWO Como Come headcovers for my 1 C&L putter ha ha..

They actually came today. Shipped Wednesday from Japan and were delivered 11am this morning. That is quick shipping!
  • newportbeachnewportbeach Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭
    3mulligans wrote on Feb 24 2009, 09:14 PM:

Well what did you get?
    Though much is taken much abides;
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    - Lord Tennyson
  • steverumsteverum Members Posts: 454
    Protects the putter and the wood shafts............why wouldnt you want to do that?

My brother doesnt and it drives me crazy!

THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY! image/shout.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shout:' />

Thanks for listening