2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I second what Justin Thomas is saying...

BeerPerHole

Get checked for skin cancer. I'd venture to say that a majority of guys I golf with should be checked if they haven't been already (blue/green eyes, blonde hair, years of exposure). I've had three melanomas. The first was caught barely in time based on its thickness and I was only 26. I learned my lesson and caught the next two early. Scar on my back for the first one is gnarly. Last one is about like Justin's - only on my neck. I consider it my Gunny Highway scar. Don't F around with this stuff. Once it's inside it's over. If you get the scar you can tell the ladies you wrestled a shark or something.

thanks man.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I'm a fairer skinned blonde ( bald now) blue eyed, Scots-Irish ancestory, California kid. Lived in the pool half the year as a child, always brown despite the heritage. Started surfing at 10.

Grew up surfing, 30 years in the water back when we didn't have waterproof sunscreen other than zinc oxide. So Cal, Hawaii and Mexico.

Add another 7 years of high altitude sun and wind from snowboarding and back packing, not to mention golf.

3 basal cells, one squamous cell, and thankfully, no melanoma. 4 Mohs surgeries on my head and face.

I get checked twice a year. Every time, they freeze a few spots ( keratoses) about every other year something gets a biopsy.

Get checked1

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I grew up in Michigan (born in 1961), so wasn't in the sun all year. But back in the 60/70s I never wore a hat or sunscreen. Didn't start wearing hats outside until the 1980s, and didn't really wear sunscreen or sunglasses much until I moved to New Mexico in 2005. I do remember getting burned real bad one time on a spring trip to south Florida in the late 1970s, probably did some real damage then. I started going to a dermatologist about 10 years ago. About 5 years ago they started cutting stuff off. I have had 4 Mohs surgeries, all on my face and forehead, and several other spots frozen off. I now see the Doc 2 times a year.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @Catty said:

> Yet they continue to wear baseball caps. Protect nothing really. Dufner is wearing a proper hat to protect face, neck, ears.

Funny - I googled and couldn't find a single picture of Duff wearing anything other than a baseball cap.

No matter, hats are still an important issue.

I've got several Ozzie friends who've had bits cut off their faces or other parts. I used to work for a cancer treatment organization and got familiar with the disease, its causes and cures. You want to avoid it, as much as you can.

So I got me a straw hat, kinda like Greg Norman used to wear, but not in black - I'm no "Shark". But it still covers my ears and the back of my neck 100% more than a ballcap. So that, plus a fair dollop of SPF 30 or so, is how I go out on the course now. I really don't care if anyone thinks it's "dorky". Because it may save my life, or considerable disfiguration. And dying and disfigurement are a little dorky too....

I'm kinda stunned that the majority of golfers don't protect themselves better.

My ears are fried. The top of the ear is the thinnest skin on your body. In the old days, that crusty, burnt skin everywhere was a badge of honor.

Advertising told us that smoking cigarettes was what all the cool people did and using coconut oil to get a deep, dark tan made us look “healthy.”

I wish I wasn’t so stupid when I was young and worn wide brimmed hats, arm sleeves and plenty of sunscreen everywhere. My wasted youth of hitting hundreds of balls per day has made my hands and everything else look so old.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

For me this is a big issue. This hat:

https://www.rei.com/media/product/143228mcj0r95oosle.png

Plus solar-sleeves plus sunscreen. I got fried a few times as a kid so, unfortunately, I think the damage is done.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Played with a general surgeon last week who spends most of his week operating on melanomas. He's cutting them out day in day out. Last week he cut off a woman's arm to save her life. Most common areas are from ankle to knee like JTs, and back of the hands. He wears long pants and a special cover on his non glove hand.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

I am scandinavian and have an extremely scandinavian complexity. Spaniards call guys like me Rubios. Being early Xgen noone knew about this when I was young, so I litterary grilled myself during the 70`s and 80’s to get at least something of that evasive tan that everyone was striving for. Not something I am happy about now. Now I am in the shadow all through the summers, greasing myself like Altomare if ever playing during the Zenith hours. Thankfully, the dangerous period is only about 3 months here.

> @"Ignatius Reilly" said:

> > @Catty said:

> > Yet they continue to wear baseball caps. Protect nothing really. Dufner is wearing a proper hat to protect face, neck, ears.

>

> Funny - I googled and couldn't find a single picture of Duff wearing anything other than a baseball cap.

>

He’s rocking one in the Greenbrier Classic. Not a full Shark model, but looks good and protects his face, ears neck. I wear the same as him. Get checked every year and touch wood good so far. We are a couple of days out of winter and it’s 30deg (84f) here and sunny.

> @ChrisO72 said:

> Played with a general surgeon last week who spends most of his week operating on melanomas. He's cutting them out day in day out. Last week he cut off a woman's arm to save her life. Most common areas are from ankle to knee like JTs, and back of the hands. He wears long pants and a special cover on his non glove hand.

I find it odd that he has an issue ankle to knee. He’s the guy who says ( and video backs it up ) that he wore long pants playing golf since birth. You’d think he’d have it on his ear or neck or face first.

Not meaning to downplay it. Just a curious happening to me.

I’m very dark complected year round ( Native American genes ) and have always worked and played outdoors. And have a huge head (8 1/4 or bigger ) so hats are rarely worn since none fit. This is something I’ve worried about silently for maybe 5-6 years. Ever since I started playing golf. I walk a lot of rounds so not covered at all. I never burn which allows this behavior I suppose. I literally just get browner. I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing ? ... but in all seriousness I’m going to get an appointment called in tomorrow and get checked out. And then have some hats made I guess. lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Get checked for skin cancer. I'd venture to say that a majority of guys I golf with should be checked if they haven't been already (blue/green eyes, blonde hair, years of exposure). I've had three melanomas. The first was caught barely in time based on its thickness and I was only 26. I learned my lesson and caught the next two early. Scar on my back for the first one is gnarly. Last one is about like Justin's - only on my neck. I consider it my Gunny Highway scar. Don't F around with this stuff. Once it's inside it's over. If you get the scar you can tell the ladies you wrestled a shark or something.

Sincerely im happy you caught it every single time. Continued good health my good man

I'm 65 and paying the price for little protection when I was young. I go in twice a year for an inspection and always have something frozen on my face. I've had a couple of basal cells removed and one squamous cell cut off. But still play a lot of golf and wear a hat plus plenty of sunscreen.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

> @bladehunter said:

> I’m very dark complected year round ( Native American genes ) and have always worked and played outdoors. And have a huge head (8 1/4 or bigger ) so hats are rarely worn since none fit. This is something I’ve worried about silently for maybe 5-6 years. Ever since I started playing golf. I walk a lot of rounds so not covered at all. I never burn which allows this behavior I suppose. I literally just get browner. I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing ? ... but in all seriousness I’m going to get an appointment called in tomorrow and get checked out. And then have some hats made I guess. lol.

This is what I wear, in the khaki color. Expensive but comfortable, washable, and extremely durable. They come in 8 1/4 and you can stretch them over your knee a bit too.

https://www.tilley.com/us_en/t5-cotton-duck-hat.html

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ChrisO72 said:

> > Played with a general surgeon last week who spends most of his week operating on melanomas. He's cutting them out day in day out. Last week he cut off a woman's arm to save her life. Most common areas are from ankle to knee like JTs, and back of the hands. He wears long pants and a special cover on his non glove hand.

>

> I find it odd that he has an issue ankle to knee. He’s the guy who says ( and video backs it up ) that he wore long pants playing golf since birth. You’d think he’d have it on his ear or neck or face first.

>

> Not meaning to downplay it. Just a curious happening to me.

>

> I’m very dark complected year round ( Native American genes ) and have always worked and played outdoors. And have a huge head (8 1/4 or bigger ) so hats are rarely worn since none fit. This is something I’ve worried about silently for maybe 5-6 years. Ever since I started playing golf. I walk a lot of rounds so not covered at all. I never burn which allows this behavior I suppose. I literally just get browner. I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing ? ... but in all seriousness I’m going to get an appointment called in tomorrow and get checked out. And then have some hats made I guess. lol.

That's a good point. I often wear long pants just for that reason since it's bothersome to put on sunscreen every hour or whatever. Sun sleeves are OK, just my right hand becomes real dark since it's not covered. Gonna go get a bucket hat now LOL.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ChrisO72 said:

> > Played with a general surgeon last week who spends most of his week operating on melanomas. He's cutting them out day in day out. Last week he cut off a woman's arm to save her life. Most common areas are from ankle to knee like JTs, and back of the hands. He wears long pants and a special cover on his non glove hand.

>

> I find it odd that he has an issue ankle to knee. He’s the guy who says ( and video backs it up ) that he wore long pants playing golf since birth. You’d think he’d have it on his ear or neck or face first.

>

> Not meaning to downplay it. Just a curious happening to me.

I'm not sure if skin cancer will always start at a point of excessive exposure to the sun, or if it can actually start anywhere on the skin. But either way, in [this article](https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/silly-golf-hats/ "this article"), there is a photo of JT from one of his spring break trips with his shirt off. Of course, you don't see if he's wearing pants, but it's not unreasonable to assume he was wearing shorts like everyone else. So while he may have not played serious golf in shorts, he might have done plenty of other things outside in shorts (like probably all of us have). This is NOT intended to "call out" JT in any way -- every single one of us is likely guilty of not (re)applying sunscreen to exposed skin at some point. It just takes a few significant sunburns or repeated UV exposure (even without getting burned) to dramatically increase skin cancer risk, so it's very possible that there was plenty of non-golf related sun exposure that he got over the years.

According to my dermatologist ([this article](https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-how-much-damage-a-really-bad-sunburn-can-do#4 "this article") seems to back it up), if you had a lot of sun exposure as a child, you are still at high risk as an adult even if you take all the proper precautions. This is similar to other forms of cancer (e.g. former smokers are still at a higher risk for lung/throat cancer even if they hadn't smoked in 30 years -- like my grandfather). I had an atypical mole removed in the middle of my back a few years ago. Luckily it wasn't cancerous, but I don't remember the last time I went outside without a shirt on. I feel uncomfortable being outside without a shirt on, so I'll even wear one when I'm swimming. I got sunburned plenty of times from not reapplying sunscreen when I was younger, though.

I have been trying to get into the habit of wearing sunscreen daily regardless of how much time I plan to spend outside -- even when it's cloudy, but I still admittedly am not great about it. I have gotten in the habit of always applying it when I know I'll spend a lot of time outside. I do always keep sunscreen in my golf bag -- but I'm also not the best at remembering to reapply either.

> @SirFuego said:

> > @Catty said:

> > Yet they continue to wear baseball caps. Protect nothing really. Dufner is wearing a proper hat to protect face, neck, ears.

> Perhaps you mean Joel Dahmen?

> https://www.imperialsports.com/2019/07/18/joel-dahmen-and-his-bucket-hat-style/

>

I saw it too. Duffners had on a bucket hat day 1. That’s why it caught my eye. But I don’t think he wears one regularly

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @SirFuego said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @ChrisO72 said:

> > > Played with a general surgeon last week who spends most of his week operating on melanomas. He's cutting them out day in day out. Last week he cut off a woman's arm to save her life. Most common areas are from ankle to knee like JTs, and back of the hands. He wears long pants and a special cover on his non glove hand.

> >

> > I find it odd that he has an issue ankle to knee. He’s the guy who says ( and video backs it up ) that he wore long pants playing golf since birth. You’d think he’d have it on his ear or neck or face first.

> >

> > Not meaning to downplay it. Just a curious happening to me.

> I'm not sure if skin cancer will always start at a point of excessive exposure to the sun, or if it can actually start anywhere on the skin. But either way, in [this article](https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/silly-golf-hats/ "this article"), there is a photo of JT from one of his spring break trips with his shirt off. Of course, you don't see if he's wearing pants, but it's not unreasonable to assume he was wearing shorts like everyone else. So while he may have not played serious golf in shorts, he might have done plenty of other things outside in shorts (like probably all of us have). This is NOT intended to "call out" JT in any way -- every single one of us is likely guilty of not (re)applying sunscreen to exposed skin at some point. It just takes a few significant sunburns or repeated UV exposure (even without getting burned) to dramatically increase skin cancer risk, so it's very possible that there was plenty of non-golf related sun exposure that he got over the years.

>

> According to my dermatologist ([this article](https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-how-much-damage-a-really-bad-sunburn-can-do#4 "this article") seems to back it up), if you had a lot of sun exposure as a child, you are still at high risk as an adult even if you take all the proper precautions. This is similar to other forms of cancer (e.g. former smokers are still at a higher risk for lung/throat cancer even if they hadn't smoked in 30 years -- like my grandfather). I had an atypical mole removed in the middle of my back a few years ago. Luckily it wasn't cancerous, but I don't remember the last time I went outside without a shirt on. I feel uncomfortable being outside without a shirt on, so I'll even wear one when I'm swimming. I got sunburned plenty of times from not reapplying sunscreen when I was younger, though.

>

> I have been trying to get into the habit of wearing sunscreen daily regardless of how much time I plan to spend outside -- even when it's cloudy, but I still admittedly am not great about it. I have gotten in the habit of always applying it when I know I'll spend a lot of time outside. I do always keep sunscreen in my golf bag -- but I'm also not the best at remembering to reapply either.

Yep. I hear all that. That’s why it’s worrisome.

I’ll be 40 in December and I don’t honestly know if I’ve worn sunscreen 3 times in my life. I have naturally very oily skin and hate anything that makes me feel more greasy.

Growing up as I did. I can’t say that I knew what sunscreen was until I was in high school. Then you might have seen some fair skinned girl applying it before track practice etc. the thought of getting out of the shower and speeding up the “ skin greasy “ process makes my skin crawl. lol but I get the need.

Now I will say that I’ve got the ubiquitous “ farmers tan” thing going on. My feet look like white socks and I’ve not been outside minus a shirt in 20 years probably . Just never been the shirtless barefoot guy. And I’ll work and play golf in long pants more than most. But still plenty of shorts too. It’s my ears , face and arms that take the beating. Got to get on it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock