Ever rush to finish a round? And why?

Comments

• ZantorZantor Members  12WRX Points: 9Posts: 12 Bunkers

Never in a hurry. I like to play golf slowly. This is a hobby and relaxation.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 3ack3ack SCMembers  136WRX Points: 92Posts: 136 Fairways

Weather/Family Emergency would be about the only reasons to rush/quit. Everything else is determined by my current score. If I'm +15 through 10 and my wife gets in a fender bender, I'll be right there. If I'm even through 15 and my wife gets in a fender bender, the cops can handle it.

Posted:
    Hammer 6.5*
    GX7 12*
    Warrior Golf 3-PW
    Squarestrike UW
    Alien 56*
    Double Duty Putter
  • davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

On -, @Zantor said:

Never in a hurry. I like to play golf slowly. This is a hobby and relaxation.

That's a kind of risky thing to say. Its one thing to avoid hurrying. Its a different thing to intentionally play slowly. But as long as you don't hold up other players, go as slow as you like.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members  3783WRX Points: 1,149Handicap: 4Posts: 3,783 Titanium Tees

What in the living fudge is a soundbath? Californians will buy anything I guess......

Posted:
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20333WRX Points: 900Posts: 20,333 Titanium Tees

Started snowing hard on the 12th hole and by the 17th it had completely lost its charm.

Posted:

• lanzador49lanzador49 SacramentoMembers  157WRX Points: 89Handicap: 11Posts: 157 Fairways

On -, @golfandfishing said:

What in the living fudge is a soundbath? Californians will buy anything I guess......

EXACTLY. It's not snow; it's not thunderstorm; it's not hurricane; it's not darkness; it's not illness; it's not an emergency; it's not life or death; it's not beer; it's not a cigar; it's not the weather....it's friggin' YOGA.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • vtpachydermvtpachyderm Members  27WRX Points: 37Handicap: 13Posts: 27 Bunkers

Don't normally rush to finish if it's weather or darkness as I normally just walk off if that's the case, but I did recently rush to finish a round due to me playing like absolute crap, and the scores counted so I had to finish the round. Played a lot of golf the two days previously and pretty well, and thought that since we have a friendly 6 round competition among mates, thought that while I'm on form I can get a good score in. First 7 holes went well, and then my game just collapsed - duffs, shanks, toppings, 3 putts. Tried as best as I could, but by the 14th hole was desperately trying anything to recover the swing and hoping for the end...basically put me out of my misery :D:D .

Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  678WRX Points: 337Posts: 678 Golden Tee

I played a round in Cozumel a few years ago as an excursion while on a cruise. Turns out there were only four of us from the ship golfing, and we pretty much had the course to ourselves, so we took our time, took in the sights, got some lunch at the turn, and then on the back nine we realized we were running short of time. Had to hurry to finish, and then our shuttle wasn't there. We ended up being 'that guy' that gets razzed by the people on the ship for showing up at the last minute.

Posted:
  • vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers  160WRX Points: 72Posts: 160 Fairways

Like most, I've rushed due to weather. I've also rushed if we had something planned in the afternoon and the round was taking forever. There's also been a time I was confident I could finish a round before my parents arrived to visit with my infant son. Unfortunately, I didn't finish in time and my wife and them hung out without me. Kind of disappointing :neutral:.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2 (9.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F8 Hybrid (19)
    TaylorMade Burner 4 Hybrid (22)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Members  428WRX Points: 133Posts: 428 Greens

Like most, I've rushed to beat the weather or daylight, but never for an engagement with my wife. I've ducked out of the post round activities to get somewhere but never just pick up and go b/c I had something. If it is that pressing and it could be an issue, I just dont play.

Posted:
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members  10322WRX Points: 569Handicap: 12Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees

in the area. Heard it coming on 15, played the final 3 holes in 40 minutes.

Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 

Advertisement
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4148WRX Points: 471Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,148 Titanium Tees

On -, @lanzador49 said:

Out golfing on an absolutely glorious day at a club in Palos Verdes to celebrate buddy’s b-day yesterday when all of a sudden one in the group who was playing, how you say...”deliberately” (ok, slow as molasses...) suddenly has an urgency to get home. So we rush to finish, and even skip a hole to save time, and without hanging out to have a beverage after the round to bask in the magnificent setting of Palos Verdes, rushed him home to learn that the reason we did that, and even skipped a hole was....now get this....

So he wouldn’t be late for a soundbath yoga session with his wife. Seriously?

Yoga is fantastic...no doubt...and I admire one’s devotion to their spouse and what’s important to them...and of course the pressures of living in Southern California might dictate that residents take advantage of moments like a soundbath. HOWEVER...I don’t know about anybody else, but there’s not much that would cause me to rush to finish a round of golf, and even skip a hole...and a soundbath is and never will be one of them...

Darkness? Weather? Health? Birth of child? What else?

Along those lines...the situation evoked the old story where a group is playing golf and one of the guys is about to hit an important putt when on the adjacent road a funeral procession and hearse pass by. As it does, they guy stops mid-stroke, pauses, removes his hat, and bows his head. His playing partners remark about how touching it was for him to pay such honor to a deceased like that, and he responds, “well...that’s the least I could do after 37 years of being married to that wonderful woman...”

My reply : " You go on ahead. See ya next time..."

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95CW R (2019 Forged Tec Modus 105 R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 50/8 F
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
     Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1 / Snell MTB Black
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  661WRX Points: 116Posts: 661 Golden Tee

Summer heat, looming family event, babysitter meltdown...

Posted:
  • GautamaGautama Members  823WRX Points: 208Handicap: 9Posts: 823 Golden Tee

I've had buddies rush off the course to get home to waiting wives more than once. I've never understood it, if she's going to be that mad if you're late, why did you even play? Then again my first wife left me, so what do I know 😂

Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1755WRX Points: 250Handicap: ?Posts: 1,755 Platinum Tees

I rushed tonight. I played in a 6-some for the last night of league play. It was either 4v4 and a double trailing or just stick all six on the same hole.
    Don't. Ever. Do. This. Six people on a hole in infuriating.

Posted:
  • lanzador49lanzador49 SacramentoMembers  157WRX Points: 89Handicap: 11Posts: 157 Fairways

On -, @Gautama said:

I've had buddies rush off the course to get home to waiting wives more than once. I've never understood it, if she's going to be that mad if you're late, why did you even play? Then again my first wife left me, so what do I know 😂

As long as your second and third wives didn't....!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3700WRX Points: 456Posts: 3,700 Titanium Tees

Played several years ago in South Africa. We had just teed off on 18 when the lightning siren went off. We literally sprinted and hit, sprinted and hit, etc all the way into the clubhouse. For the record, this was just three hours south of where Retief Goosen was struck by lightning some years earlier.

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

On -, @mukster said:

Played several years ago in South Africa. We had just teed off on 18 when the lightning siren went off. We literally sprinted and hit, sprinted and hit, etc all the way into the clubhouse. For the record, this was just three hours south of where Retief Goosen was struck by lightning some years earlier.

Darwinism at work.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• North ButteNorth Butte Members  11741WRX Points: 1,542Posts: 11,741 Titanium Tees

I was playing a course at the beach once in January. Not a time of year you'd expect thunderstorms, especially given that we were playing fog that made it impossible to see more about 75-100 yards. We heard a couple rumbles and were speculating as to what might make that noise.

Then a bolt of lightning hit nearby which made being in that fog like being on the inside of a flash bulb. No idea the direction, just a blinding flash from everywhere.

I had just hit a chip from off the green at the instant before the lightning. I think I might have been back at the clubhouse before that chip shot stopped rolling. About as fast as I've ever moved with a bag of clubs on my back!

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3700WRX Points: 456Posts: 3,700 Titanium Tees

On -, @davep043 said:

On -, @mukster said:

Darwinism at work.

Obviously not :wink:

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • jak77jak77 Members  96WRX Points: 28Posts: 96 Fairways

I dont try to rush a round as much as I can avoid it. I try to schedule my rounds when I know I can relax and enjoy it without feeling rushed. HOWEVER. Life happens. Work happens. Family happens. Sometimes I have to try to rush for something unexpected. Once or twice I've had to leave early because of unforeseen circumstances. Not a big deal. It's a hobby and there are other life priorities that make me fortunate enough to regularly play this game. When those come up, they usually take precedence since I know I'll be back on the course soon enough.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SDMembers  894WRX Points: 173Handicap: 13.5Posts: 894 Golden Tee

Only time this year we truly rushed was due to Mosquitoes. We had an extremely wet year compared to normal so they were absolutely terrible. The day we had to rush it, everything was going great until the wind completely stopped for the last 4 holes. You could hear the buzzing before you could see them and I didn't have my usual can of spray in the bag.

Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Callaway Apex 19 3-4 Hybrids (Project X Catalyst 5.5 Flex, -1/2" for both)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers  617WRX Points: 371Handicap: 8.7Posts: 617 Golden Tee

Only one reason why I finish in a hurry, #2.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661
    Callaway GBB Epic sz 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3-4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9°
    Mizuno S18 57°/11°
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint LouisMembers  286WRX Points: 64Handicap: 12Posts: 286 Greens
    1. I dont play if I know I wont have ample time to finish and do whatever I need to before my next 'obligation'. I def wouldnt make other people rush with me.

2. Only time I've ever rushed to finish was playing with my father in law and his 'old' group in Michigan this summer. They play like 3x a week and they get 'unlimited' golf at their club so they dont care if they only get 2 holes in and have to go home. I however have a job so I dont play 3x a week, I was up in Michigan visiting wifes family so technically on 'vacation' and wouldve played 100 holes.

Anyways, we are on the 11th tee i think. One of the guys looks at radar and says rain might be arriving in an hour. Well you would have thought he said the Wizard of Oz tornado is 20 feet from the course and we are all gonna die. We had already teed off on a Par 3. The one guy immediately goes 'lets skip this hole, skip past the group in front of us and play 14-18. We didn't even finish the par 3 we were on (mind you i hit the **** green) and then played speed golf for the last 4 holes and I played like garbage.

For as much heckling as these old guys gave me for using a yellow ball and having a 'brighter' colored shirt on vs their "old man solid gray polos' they sure were terrified of a little impending drizzle.

Posted:
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members  298WRX Points: 110Handicap: 7.7Posts: 298 Greens

Constantly faced with rushing due to fear of wrath of wife, usually brought on by the overly-optimistic projection of when I told her I'd be home.

Posted:
  • cyoung2tycyoung2ty Members  35WRX Points: 26Handicap: 8.9Posts: 35 Bunkers

I've hurried along due to darkness... but it's never anything that really matters. If I'm on the 18th tee and I'm able to see the outline of the fairway... I'll finish it. Otherwise... no big deal.

The only time I've ever really rushed was the day of my high school graduation. My buddy and I decided to go play 18 holes at one of our local courses that morning. I told my parents I'd be back with time to spare. Well... we hit a slow group in front of us that had a slow group in front of them and so on. That meant we finished later than we'd originally planned. I pulled in the driveway... sprinted past my mom who was giving me crap about being late... jumped in the shower... got ready and was back out the door on my way to the graduation ceremony about 20 minutes later.

That was 22 years ago and my parents still bring it up.

My wife knew the story before we got married. She's fully on board with me having golf as a distraction and I'm fully on board with knowing my commitments prior to setting up a tee time. If I can't comfortably play and still make whatever it is that I've got planned... I just play another day.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  404WRX Points: 219Handicap: 19Posts: 404 Greens

Turn dog was not the answer, and the back 9 outhouse was closed. Really helped keep my core engaged in my swing though

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

On -, @Warrior42111 said:

Turn dog was not the answer, and the back 9 outhouse was closed. Really helped keep my core engaged in my swing though

I was playing at the Wente course and got hooked up with a 3-some from silicon valley. They were all tech savvy and all of a sudden on the 2nd fairway, a phone rings. One of the guys takes off his shoe and had a Maxwell Smart Agent 86 shoe phone! Amazing.

Then on 8, a phone rings and the next guy shakes his hand where electrodes were planted and was able to take a call through his own hands! Amazing.

Then on 12, the 3rd guy hits a ball into the trees, we hear a phone ring, we're waiting and waiting...go try to help the guy, and he's sitting there with his pants around his ankles taking a dump! His buddies tell him how disgusting it is, how there's a bathroom by the next tee box, etc. And the guy says, "just hang on - I'm already getting the third page of this fax."

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer Members  8604WRX Points: 1,038Posts: 8,604 Titanium Tees

Back in the day, I was playing with an older group that included a friend who was a 10 time or so club champ. This day, he was on fire, had made 9 birdies, and was owning the rest of us. Birdied 16, 17 is an easy par 5, I had no doubt he would at least make birdie, 18 not a hard hole. Walking off the green, he said "well, it's been fun, but I've got to go, we'll let the money go". I was down about twenty bucks, but I said WTF? Well, neighbor Mary was having her 80th birthday, wife Judy was helping, and he had to be there. On pace to set the course record by at least two, and he has to leave? Being young and never very shy with my opinion, I said "Screw Mary, she's old, she'll forget, Judy will get over it, you're not getting that much anyway". And .... he LEFT.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.