2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Find me a matte finish ball....

mvhoffman

"Good Players play with the same brand ball"

Well, this isn't wrong and I have too many balls....

Top Flite Gamer, Wilson 50 elite, sleeves of different balls from tournaments/outings... here I am left with a mess of balls... Not a mess really, just 5.5 dozen not including the 30 in my bag that I pick up while walking.

So here it is... **"I love the fluorescent matte finish golf balls"**, whew, there I said it... Now I have to find the right one for me... Help

I play the Wilson 50 and TF balls because they are cheaper, however I think that they perform good for my game. Low spinning(driver) but I can get some zip on them around the green when I need to.

I also play the Chromesoft X as my country club ball (high spin for tight shaved greens). I am looking for an all around matte finish ball that fits the bill. Has all of the qualities ($) of the budget balls I play with some of the boosts of the $$$ ball... **(a ball that spins a bit around the greens)**.

Any recommendations? I'm up for anything. I want to start playing with a consistent brand of ball.

Callaway ShuperHot

Bridgestone e12

Noodle neon

I don't know?

This week, I am giving my brother 4.5 dozen of the balls and a swing trainer I have laying around. I

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I'll add 'hackers with OCD only play 1 brand of ball'

Find a ball you like the feel and performance of. You can find 3-packs of balls at the front counter at most golf stores I would recommend trying out a bunch and seeing which you work out best with.

Set aside all the 'this ball is too good for me' notions and fine one you like and stick with it to keep some consistency in your game.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

what about a volvik?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> what about a volvik?

looking for a more budget ball

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I've been playing the Softfli and like them so far. However prior to this wkend they were working just fine around the greens etc. This wkend I couldnt hit a fairway for the life of me and even when I did they seemed to roll off, greens they seemed to roll a lot too. HOWEVER it might have just been the course conditions, etc. This was a new course for me and while it was fairly flat overall, the fairways and even rough had a bunch of small undulations so I think sometimes it caught them at the wrong angle and rolled for miles. It was links style and looking around the course at times i would say 7 out of every 10 carts was in the rough. It was also some of the worst golf I've played all summer so take it for what it is.

The colors however are AWESOME, the green ones you can see a mile away.

So I was able to get 24 Callaway Superhots for $17. I’m gonna start with them and see where I go to. I do like the softfli colors

> @mvhoffman said:

> So I was able to get 24 Callaway Superhots for $17. I’m gonna start with them and see where I go to. I do like the softfli colors

How about the new matte Soft Feels in orange or green? Haven't played one. But, I do like the white ones. Decent price at 20 for a dozen. Once a year, Srixon balls are sold for 2 fer specials. By the way, mvhoffman. What do you like about the matte finish. Is it that they look cool? I see the negative side. They get dirty and do not feel as good as a shiny ball.

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @mvhoffman said:

> > So I was able to get 24 Callaway Superhots for $17. I’m gonna start with them and see where I go to. I do like the softfli colors

>

> How about the new matte Soft Feels in orange or green? Haven't played one. But, I do like the white ones. Decent price at 20 for a dozen. Once a year, Srixon balls are sold for 2 fer specials. By the way, mvhoffman. What do you like about the matte finish. Is it that they look cool? I see the negative side. They get dirty and do not feel as good as a shiny ball.

Honestly Tanner, I don't know why, but to my eye, I can "see" them better. The fact that they "pop" out to me I think is a huge selling point. I have noticed that they get dirty quicker, however I have noticed that they seem to be indestructible. I have played a Callaway matte as well as a Volvik matte for 3-4 rounds before the ball looked like it had been played. There is just something about the matte finish that I like... not to mention the bright colors. Maybe it just the gimmicky side of it, but i really like the no shine golf balls with bright colors

Thanks, mvhoffman. Good to know your thoughts. The looks and visibility are certainly good factors to consider. I've got to work through some yellow QST's (don't like sparkly yellow) before I make my next move. Back to the matte balls, Wilson's Duo Pro look good in green and yellow. I've played the Duo Pros' in white and they are a softer 3 piece urethane ball with medium spin that worked well for me. You have a lot to choose from these days. Good Luck. Let us know which ball you settle on. Tanner

> @theedge27 said:

> Maxfli Tour.

This. Maxfli Tour CG in matte green

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I found a red Volvik Vivid the other day and played it today. I hated it. Hated the feel of it. Hated that it ran out on greens. Hated that it was a club shorter than the other ball I was playing. Hated the look.

Anyway, to each his own...I had wanted to try one so was glad to find it. But also glad to lose it several holes in...

So I received my shipment yesterday. What I ordered was 24 Callaway Supethot, what I got was 24 mixed Superhot/Supersoft in a range of colors. I was actually messaging the seller letting him know I got the balls and when I opened them told him I got a mix. He started freaking out and apologizing for the mix up. I thanked him because I would have ended up buying the Supersoft anyway to try, this worked out great. First, I decided, not a huge fan of the matte orange. Not a bad color at all but not my favorite. 2, I found while chipping on the carpet, these things can really bite. Not a ton of spin, but enough to check hard and roll out a bit when needing to. The hot bites more than the soft, but not by much as expected. I have a tournament this weekend so I am going to jump right in with them and give it a go.

Not a big fan of the Volvik Vivid... had the same thing happen as LeftDaddy however I couldn't seem to lose mine.

Vice Pro Soft in lime are matte and very visible, they spin enough, though I only use during winter.

One thing I have noticed, is matte balls seem to have mud/dirt cling to them more so than non-matte balls, kind of drives me nuts.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

So I never updated after the tournament... 2nd place which isn't terrible. It was for a great cause and made a lot of money that night for the benefit!!!

So the balls... they were "standard" 2 and 3 piece balls. They were long, responsive, dead straight, not much side spin. I was kind of feeling let down until I realized that they are doing exactly what i wanted them to do. Made it to 18 (par 5) in 2, had a crap side/downhill put to the hole for eagle. Partner made it! I was looking at the tiger/phil shot with the 90* the opposite direction low spinning lob shot that would check dead and then trickle down to the hole. My friend Brian started making fun of me for being able to expect a "cheap" ball to respond (he is a ProV player). Since we had time, he wanted me to try the shot...

After resetting myself and finding my check point I took a chop at the pall with the open face keeping the release low to contact every groove line on the face... I did.. it was only about a 10 foot shot and checked up dead where I wanted it to and then gravity took over... trickled down the side hill of the green and lipped out leaving what would have been a 1 foot uphill birdie putt.

I didn't really test the ball too much that day. I wasn't hitting stupid carries with the wrong club or playing super aggressive. I was taking the smart shots and smart plays. I should have been more aggressive, but the ball did everything I wanted it to do. There were a few holes where I came up 5 feet short of the green on my approach. While my partner was asking if it was the different ball, I honestly said "no, it's becasue I didn't swing the club"

I ordered 4 more dozen the other night from the same seller on eBay. They should be here today!

I will be sticking with Callaway balls!!!

I picked up my first box of red e12s on the weekend and absolutely love'em. Was leery as he'll about going red but found them super easy to see and they fly great. Pretty decent stopping on pitches too. Nice roll on drives. My swing speed is around 90 and I like them so much I'm ordering another six boxes while they are $10 off at gloftown.

Ping i530 2d strong R Graphite

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

Honma TW747 P 5-11 steel R, TW-W4 56/8

Scotty Phantom X 5.5, Newport 2.5, Futura 5MB, Tiffany, Ping PLD3, Cadence TR

> @LeftDaddy said:

> I found a red Volvik Vivid the other day and played it today. I hated it. Hated the feel of it. Hated that it ran out on greens. Hated that it was a club shorter than the other ball I was playing. Hated the look.

>

> Anyway, to each his own...I had wanted to try one so was glad to find it. But also glad to lose it several holes in...

I had the same experience than you with similar results. In these days if I find a Volvik Vivid, it stays where it was.

I played my final tournament of the season yesterday using the Supersofts and Superhots that I purchased. So happy with these balls. From full shots to big spinning flop shots, they really do perform for the price point they come in at. I decided that I would stick to Callaway not just because of the performance, but also because they are actually made in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Disney. Played with these balls exclusively and they were awesome. 80 on the Magnolia course and a 78 on the Palm course. What a fun time.