Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized vs Bushnell Pro XE

kkennedy ·  
kkennedykkennedy  163Members Posts: 163

Does anybody have experience comparing the two? They seem to be at the top of the laser rangefinder hierarchy (at least price wise) and was wondering if anyone felt strongly about one vs the other. Someone stole my Bushnell Pro X2 and unfortunately I need a replacement

Posted:
Titleist TS3 10.5*
Callaway Rogue 15*
Callaway XR Pro 20*
Titleist 718 AP2
Cleveland RTX 4 52 / 56 / 60
Rotation of: Scotty Cameron Concept CX-02  / Evnroll 1TS / Odyssey Jailbird CH 

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  2574Members Posts: 2,574

I can't compare, but I can say that the Nikon is absolutely perfect in every respect that I have been able to evaluate it on. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with it.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Veylix Rome 888x || Taylormade M1 13* Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • OakStrongOakStrong  65Members Posts: 65

I have the Nikon pro stabilized and it’s the best rangefinder I’ve ever used. I’m relatively young and do not have shaking hands problems, but I still find the stabilizing feature extremely valuable. I also prefer the optics and size of the Nikon unit compared to the Bushnell unit when I tested both at the PGATSS. The five year warranty on the Nikon is also great, can’t recommend the Nikon more

Posted:
  • sirukumasirukuma  277Members Posts: 277

I had both. I sold the Bushnell and you will have to pry the Nikon from my cold dead hands to get it from me. That is all I will say.

Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver  711Members Posts: 711

I'll take Nikon all day, every day. I've had my Nikon (Callaway branded) for 10 years, still works perfectly. I don't even need the stabilizer.

Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • tbowles411tbowles411  25433ClubWRX Posts: 25,433

Is the Nikon really THAT good? My Bushnell was lifted from my cart and I was looking for a GPS watch. But one of the things that did bug me was the fact that my hands weren't as steady and it would take me a few extra seconds to get the "jolt."

Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0 Tour Issue
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0 Tour Issue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 70i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 70i
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES Accra 70i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**

• StetsonStetson  2572Members Posts: 2,572

I wanted the Nikon but was unable to get it at a discounted price. I have always said my old Nikon was the best rangefinder I’ve ever owned.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto  3526Members Posts: 3,526

Do you Nikon users find it locks on OK from 175-200 yards? I briefly had had a Coolshot 20 a couple years ago that worked fine but once I got out to 175 or more it was very slow to lock on. I ended up exchanging it for a Bushnell V4 which I am very happy with. It may have been a defective unit but at the time I just went with the Bushnell. I guess each generation gets better however.

Posted:
  • sirukumasirukuma  277Members Posts: 277

It’s never failed to lock on from any distance in more than a nano-second

Posted:
  • OldboyOldboy  2457Members Posts: 2,457

had an older bushnell v2? now have the cool shot. not missing the bushnell at all

Posted:
  • 2Down2Down  200Members Posts: 200

I have the first gen nikon with image stabilization. Love it and am pleasantly surprised at it’s durability. Was going down a path and had the finder in one of the cup holders. It bounced out going over a bump. Bounced a few times on the path and it still worked. The focus mechanism was dinged but I found a way to keep the image in focus.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ tensi orange s
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 15°  Aldila NV 2KXV 75 Green w/Cobra smart grip
    Adams tour prototype 18° Mitsubishi
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
    Mizuno MP5 5-W KBS tour 120 S
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Callaway Mack daddy 4 60°
    Ping anser 4 is in rotation at the moment, tp mills is resting as are the Cleveland, 8813, tess, kushin, bullseye, and the ugliest putter I own the Octagon.  
    Pro V1

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  2574Members Posts: 2,574

@cristphoto said:
    Do you Nikon users find it locks on OK from 175-200 yards? I briefly had had a Coolshot 20 a couple years ago that worked fine but once I got out to 175 or more it was very slow to lock on. I ended up exchanging it for a Bushnell V4 which I am very happy with. It may have been a defective unit but at the time I just went with the Bushnell. I guess each generation gets better however.

I've never had any problems outside of when sometimes the flag is blowing either directly towards or away from me and the flag does not have the laser reflectors. Otherwise it has been 100% rock solid, fast, and stable thanks to the stabilization.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Veylix Rome 888x || Taylormade M1 13* Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread

Advertisement
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf  680Members Posts: 680

@GSDriver said:
    I'll take Nikon all day, every day. I've had my Nikon (Callaway branded) for 10 years, still works perfectly. I don't even need the stabilizer.

This. I had 2 Bushnells die on me after too short a period of time (with terrible response from Bushnell CS) before getting the Nikon, which just keeps on going. (And based on how I’ve treated it, I couldn’t blame it for finally dying on me any day now.)

Posted:
  • Seeking70sSeeking70s Getting Shorter Every Year  83Members Posts: 83

Offer To Trade Me ANY Rangefinder, Umm. No Thanks, I Will Keep My Nikon Cool Shot Pro.

Posted:
  • jpbovajpbova  21Members Posts: 21

I just picked up a nikon coolshot from amazon for $120. Steal of a deal

Posted:

Gunga Galunga Golf - My Buddy's golf photography page

When you have slope turned on with the Nikon does it show two numbers in the viewfinder (actual distance and slope adjusted)?

Posted:
  • bradskibradski  2391Members Posts: 2,391

@cristphoto said:
    When you have slope turned on with the Nikon does it show two numbers in the viewfinder (actual distance and slope adjusted)?

yes. you have true distance and slope adjusted .

Posted:

Advertisement

@bradski said:

@cristphoto said:

yes. you have true distance and slope adjusted .

Thanks.

Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7876Members Posts: 7,876

You tube review by Mr. Short Game.

Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!

I went to look at the Nikon Coolshot Pro at Golf Galaxy today. The display really turned me off to the unit - very busy and garish compared to the Bushnell. Why such huge crosshairs? Maybe I'm simply used to my Bushnell V4 but the Nikon would take a bit of time to adjust to.

Posted:
  • Seeking70sSeeking70s Getting Shorter Every Year  83Members Posts: 83

@cristphoto said:
    I went to look at the Nikon Coolshot Pro at Golf Galaxy today. The display really turned me off to the unit - very busy and garish compared to the Bushnell. Why such huge crosshairs? Maybe I'm simply used to my Bushnell V4 but the Nikon would take a bit of time to adjust to.

Yeah, It Might take a Minute or Two to Get Use To. The Nikon is Fabulous.

Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3534Members Posts: 3,534

@cristphoto said:

Those Canon guys just can't let go. Haha. JK :D

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    Cally X-Hot 15* 
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
    W/S PMP RAW 52/56/60
    W/S Infinite Windy City

Advertisement
  • KATYRAKATYRA  2Members Posts: 2

@OakStrong said:
    I have the Nikon pro stabilized and it’s the best rangefinder I’ve ever used. I’m relatively young and do not have shaking hands problems, but I still find the stabilizing feature extremely valuable. I also prefer the optics and size of the Nikon unit compared to the Bushnell unit when I tested both at the PGATSS. The five year warranty on the Nikon is also great, can’t recommend the Nikon more

I need a replacement

Posted:
  • CaymanSCaymanS  79Members Posts: 79

The Bushnell picks up the flag more readily (you don't have to hold it perfectly still, just wave it across the flag is good enough) and the Jolt is more like a sucker punch than a slap on the face with the Nikon's green circle. But the Nikon is still good and the stablization feature allows you to pick up points that you wouldn't normally consider with a rangefinder. I can pick up balls on the green from the group ahead or on a fairway. I can see how far I outdrove my friends by lasering my ball 40 yards ahead of theirs when we stop the cart. And layup points are easy to pick out even without an object to aim at, just point at a pot on the fairway. Pretty amazing really. The Nikon does not feel as robust, but has not given me any problem so far and it is used 3 times/week since it came out.

Posted:
  • myspinonitmyspinonit  2878Members Posts: 2,878

My Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt somehow vanished from my carry-on on a plane trip home last night, so I'm looking up replacement options. (Go figure...I left it out of my checked bag for safety!). Fortunately I have an rider on my insurance for replacement value for golf equipment (first time I've had to call on it) and I included my GPS on the rider.

Either of the two models which are the subject of this thread are contenders for me for features and to current comparable current models. Just waiting for details what I presume should be easy claim approval from my insurance company and for the process at my end.

I like(d) my Z6 and Jolt feature. The Nikon 5 year warranty (via authorized reseller ) is appealing to me though and at nearly age 70 it could be my last one. I've read some bad reviews on Bushnell customer service. Both models are waterproof (vs water resistant) and living in Vancouver that's important.

I'll be interested in any other comments from users.

Posted:
    Ping G400 SFT 12° Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60 R
    Ping G 5 Wood 17.5° (@ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G 7 wood 20.5°( @ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70 R
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A
    Vokey SM6 49.07F ; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80 R
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"
    Backup Putter: Wilson Staff Infinite The Bean (2018 model) 34"
    Ball: Srixon QStar Tour

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation  1257Members Posts: 1,257

Bushnell has the name and the cool carrying case. Nikon makes pretty good optics. I've occasionally had trouble locking on with my 40, but never for more than a few seconds. Then again I don't even keep it in a case. Yeah that cheap Nikon case ripped open at the little button. Other than that, the waterproof aspect is great. Saw the Pro Stabilized review and said that sometimes the marker colors are funky but you can switch it if needed.

Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

Leaning towards the Nikon but no local stock to see in person, just available on-line. Is the Nikon body plastic or metal like the Bushnell. If it's plastic any concerns/issues by users?

Posted:

Advertisement

@myspinonit said:
    Leaning towards the Nikon but no local stock to see in person, just available on-line. Is the Nikon body plastic or metal like the Bushnell. If it's plastic any concerns/issues by users?

I looked at the Nikon last week. As I recall it had a plastic body. When compared to the V4 Shift (which is plastic) if seemed about the same weight. The latest industrial plastics are actually better than metal bodies as they dissipate heat better,offer better shock absorption, and won't dent. Most high end camera lenses are moving to industrial plastics for these reasons. I ended up with the V4 Shift because I've had good luck with previous Bushnell's. Both seemed like excellent units and locked on targets quick but the Nikon's display seemed a bit busy for my tastes.

Posted:

**Any Canadians reading this wanting this (or another Nikon model ) might want to jump on Best Buy Canada which has them on sale till Nov 14. The ProShot Stabilized is $459.99 CDN on sale. GolfTown's price is $649.99. **

Yay...My Bushnell (somehow) ended up at Lost and Found at Maui airport -no idea how it got out of my carry-on- and it's coming back via a contract they have with a private shipper at my cost. There are a few honest people out there! My name boldly written with a felt pen on the case as a potential light-finger deterrent might have helped. It certainly helped ready identification and release from Lost and Found! Soon as I said my name and that I lost a Bushnell Rangefinder she said "I have it".
    So, I won't be replacing it just yet.

Posted:
    Post edited by myspinonit on