We have a new teacher at our club.

Moonlightgrm

This fellow is new to our region. Every member received a personalized email from this fellow. In my case, he claimed he can get me on the path to scratch. My current index is 2.8. He uses Trackman and a three camera system to analyze your swing/data. I’m tempted to spend the $90 and give this guy a shot. I have spoken to one member (18-handicap) who took a lesson with him. He said the guy seems to know his stuff, but he felt he gave him too much information in one lesson. He called it, “information overload”. He appreciated the Trackman data coming into his account for him to view at his leisure. But 4 or 5 swing fixes was a bit much. Whew!

What do you think? Give him a shot or wait to hear more feedback from the membership?

Depending on where you live, $90 is a reasonable fee, especially considering the equipment they guy has. If you really want to improve, and spend the effort to practice, why not give it a go? Learning from the other guy's experience, you may want to make it clear from the start that you're looking for one or maximum two specific changes to make at a time. Of course, then its up to you to actually practice properly and make the changes, that's the part that takes effort and dedication.

• Like 1

You might want to wait till others have been with him and see what their feedback is. 4 or 5 swing fixes is major overload.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

> @MooJersey said:

> For $90 you don't have much to lose. Renting a trackman around here for an hour is $50. Getting a lesson and some camera work for $90 seems like a steal. You don't like him...well all you lost was $90...

Agreed w/ this

Best case: he provides some feedback/lessons/etc. that helps you get better (as a 2.8 you sit on that cusp between really good and great)

Worst case: he provides a bunch of bogus info, you get TrackMan results and a swing analysis/videos and walk away knowing he isnt the guy

I think you are probably the only one who can answer this... where are you losing your shots? It could be great money spent if you're hitting it in the woods or a waste if you're 3 putting / flubbing chips.

It could be worth talking to the guy to get a plan of how he could help rather than just jumping into swing fixes.

Probably not a fair comp to an 18 cap, who no doubt needs some swing help

Not an unreasonable charge. Maybe he’s new and enthusiastic and trying a bit of marketing. Not much to lose - you’ll know if the two of you mesh, heck if you are worried have a visit with him now welcoming him and talking about his approach - you’ll get a sense pretty quickly whether it may be a good fit.

We have a new instructor at our course that offers that same price/package. People have been jumping at it. Many have signed up for a 5 lesson plan.

A couple didn't like what he told them to work on, in most cases it was one thing that could be a fairly easy fix then move on to other things.

I spoke to one that didn't stick. He said "I know my swing better than he does". Okey dokey then ?‍♂️

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I don't think too much information is really a problem for golfers. It's about how the compartmentalize the information when they practice along with often times not understanding the information because the teacher is telling them something new in a short, fixed period of time.

I look at it much like a putting together a jigsaw puzzle. You know what the puzzle is supposed to look like. With the swing, I work on the instruction chronologically much like I would with the outer pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. I'll start with address before I work on the takeaway. I'll work on the takeaway before I start working on something midway thru the backswing, etc. If I can't figure out an outer edge of a jigsaw puzzle...I'll move on to other pieces that I know fit and I know where they go. If I can't get something down in the backswing despite putting forth my best efforts, I may move to something in the downswing that I know I can get.

George Gankas provides a ton of information in his lessons. What he does is he has you take your phone and record him when he's talking about certain things so you don't forget. You're not going to be able to work on everything at once, so it's best to have it on camera so you will always have it from the horse's mouth. One of the strengths of GG's coaching is his ability to explain stuff so the golfer understands it conceptually. They may not understand how to physically do it since their body has moved a different way for such a long time. But, he's still providing a ton of information and has it setup so where the golfer can use that information to their benefit instead of it being a detriment.

$90/hour lesson is pretty reasonable these days for somebody that has that much technology. Whether he knows what he's actually talking about is a different discussion.

RH

• Like 1

Cheaper than trying to buy a game in the equipment forum.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Heard a presentation from a top-level coach last week. His basic advice for anyone working with a new coach (interpretation is mine) was:

1) For any data point provided basically ask ‘So what?’ - I.e tell me the importance of the data you just gave me... Convince me why I should care about it. I have a loop at the top of my backswing? So what?

2) For any suggested swing changes ask “How will this help me shoot a lower score?” I.e. Any change will take effort to make... Convince me that making the change will materially affect my ability to go lower. Convince me I’m not going on a wild goose chase.

do it

90 bucks

Look at it the other way .. he could spot one minor thing that is easy to implement and sends your game in the right direction (this happened to me)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> This fellow is new to our region. Every member received a personalized email from this fellow. In my case, he claimed he can get me on the path to scratch. My current index is 2.8. He uses Trackman and a three camera system to analyze your swing/data. I’m tempted to spend the $90 and give this guy a shot. I have spoken to one member (18-handicap) who took a lesson with him. He said the guy seems to know his stuff, but he felt he gave him too much information in one lesson. He called it, “information overload”. He appreciated the Trackman data coming into his account for him to view at his leisure. But 4 or 5 swing fixes was a bit much. Whew!

>

> What do you think? Give him a shot or wait to hear more feedback from the membership?

If you like being a 2.8 and working toward a scratch, then I'd think again before going after a lesson from this guy. Until you have more feed back from other members holding similar index.

His promotional email market himself well, uses all the latest technology for analyzing golf swing...... from your post, he lack the experience of people business, and not able to personalize the lesson to individual golfers. I'd question his ability to stay at your club for the long run.

Has anyone checked into his resume ? What about his past experience ? Any referral he could give ?

Of course, $90 / 30-45 min. is a reasonable rate charged by an experience instructor. But, would it help you ?

You want to make sure the lesson wouldn't mess you up before you think a miracle lesson would take you from 2.8 to scratch instantly.

Golfers in your category already possess the ability to use the tools, the refinement is suppose to be focused on how to use these tools more efficiently. Basically, finding out where you could improve from tee to green. Most likely a course management is more beneficial.

We can't look at the video from 3 cameras and tell the golfer that he needs to do this or that to be a better golfer. We can not look at the putting statistic and state the golfer needs to improve on his putting skill. Maybe the golfer needs to beware of the where to put the approach shot onto the green to have a higher percentage of sinking the putt , from the pin placement.

Poor putting statistic might result from not able to give a better chance to make the putt from the approach, and have nothing to do with the putting skill.

He sounds a little green, or had never learned the business.

I'm not saying to void this instructor. You should investigate a little more before you take the miracle pill for the cure.

A promise of taking you from 2.8 index to scratch is pretty tall order without knowing you first !

One thing is for sure. The posters suggesting that you stay away from this new pro know virtually nothing about him and little about you. Seems like a decent marketing attempt to try and ingratiate himself with the members. At 2.8 you’ll know if what he tells you is something that you can work with. 45 min lesson is not going to wreck your game.

Took the first lesson yesterday. Seeing your Trackman numbers and your high speed video is pretty darned cool. The guy spend an hour and 15 minutes with me and I hit a lot of balls. Overall a good experience.

Conclusion: My grip is very weak. I play a draw with this weak grip. Why? Because I tend to flip the club at the bottom of my swing arc. If I didn’t, I would lose it to the right. When my timing is good. I shoot around even par. When my timing isn’t quite so good, there’s my bad rounds of 78-82. His goal for me, improve my misses.

I also lose forward shaft lean due to this flipping issue. He gave me two drills, to work on calming down my right hand and rid myself of the flips. Also, I have to get used to a stronger grip.

Next lesson in one week. It’ll be a half hour look at my progress.

Overall, a very good experience. I hope I am on the path to scratch (See original post).

• Like 2

Good to hear your experience was positive so far. The grip change sounds like a good way for you to get more consistent so long as you eliminate the compensation movement that let your other grip work. I recommend practicing your new grip when sitting at home (watching TV?).

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> I am 61-years old. I began playing golf at the age of 10. I didn’t touch a club during my college years because I played intercollegiate baseball. I am not nearly as flexible as I was 20-years ago. Oh yeah, and my favorite color is red.

If you were 16, I'd say go for it. But, at 61, this is a dangerous path. This guy's going to ruin your game. You've got no more a shot at rebuilding a 50-year-old swing than you do of becoming a concert pianist. I know a lot of really good senior golfers, and not a one of them has classic mechanics. The road to scratch for someone your age is not paved with videos and launch monitor data. It's learning how to manage the game you've got and becoming a wizard inside 100 yards.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Moonlightgrm said:

> > I am 61-years old. I began playing golf at the age of 10. I didn’t touch a club during my college years because I played intercollegiate baseball. I am not nearly as flexible as I was 20-years ago. Oh yeah, and my favorite color is red.

>

> If you were 16, I'd say go for it. But, at 61, this is a dangerous path. This guy's going to ruin your game. You've got no more a shot at rebuilding a 50-year-old swing than you do of becoming a concert pianist. I know a lot of really good senior golfers, and not a one of them has classic mechanics. The road to scratch for someone your age is not paved with videos and launch monitor data. It's learning how to manage the game you've got and becoming a wizard inside 100 yards.

>

Wow man, take it easy. Don't throw your own insecurities out at this guy. I literally play with a guy at age 58 that just went pro. Made it through to two qualifiers now. He is absolutely and in no way is too old to improve or change his swing.

@Moonlightgrm - good for you to approach this with an open mind. And good luck on your journey to getting better. Ignore the dumb noise around here.

• Like 2

> @wagolfer7 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Moonlightgrm said:

> > > I am 61-years old. I began playing golf at the age of 10. I didn’t touch a club during my college years because I played intercollegiate baseball. I am not nearly as flexible as I was 20-years ago. Oh yeah, and my favorite color is red.

> >

> > If you were 16, I'd say go for it. But, at 61, this is a dangerous path. This guy's going to ruin your game. You've got no more a shot at rebuilding a 50-year-old swing than you do of becoming a concert pianist. I know a lot of really good senior golfers, and not a one of them has classic mechanics. The road to scratch for someone your age is not paved with videos and launch monitor data. It's learning how to manage the game you've got and becoming a wizard inside 100 yards.

> >

>

> Wow man, take it easy. Don't throw your own insecurities out at this guy. I literally play with a guy at age 58 that just went pro. Made it through to two qualifiers now. He is absolutely and in no way is too old to improve or change his swing.

>

> @Moonlightgrm - good for you to approach this with an open mind. And good luck on your journey to getting better. Ignore the dumb noise around here.

He asked; I answered. Go ahead and pour honey in the OP’s ear; that sort of thing is real popular around here. Rah, rah, rah! Sure, it’s possible for a 61-year-old to improve his game. I’m not saying otherwise. But, not with video cameras and launch monitors. Trying to improve by standing your swing up against a mechanical performance standard is the wrong methodology. Older golfers learn differently.