Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Talk to me -- Bullseye, 8802, other classics

tgoodspe1991 ·  
tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New England 917Members Posts: 917

I really want to try and game an old-school, classic style putter. I've got my eye right now on a Bettinardi BB2 or FCB, but have an itch to maybe try a Bullseye as well.

Would love to hear y'alls thoughts on various classic shapes (even ones I didn't mention), how they play, what type of stroke/eye dominance/setup they're good for, and anything else you'd like to share.

Help convince me to pull the trigger on a classic!!

Posted:
“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
- Arnold Palmer

Comments

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370Members Posts: 4,370

Classic putters, even the earlier Ping models are typically smaller and lighter. The modern putter are heavier and even the remake of the classic putter are larger in size.
    This is to accommodate the change in the putting surface from the slower greens 50-60 years ago to today's faster green speed. Also the classic putters are 35"-36", modern putters have more choices on the length.
    Yes, it's easy to cut down or to extend the putter length, but in doing so, it may change the feel of a putter.
    The Bettinardi and Scotty Cameron are considered as remake of the classic putters.
    If you want to game a classic putter, search for putters from 40+ years ago. One give away is the round cylindrical shaped leather grip, Non of those have a flat front surfaced grip and definitely no over sized grips in the classic putters.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3228Members Posts: 3,228

I just bought a pxg dagger. I don't have it yet, but I think it is an appealing option if you're looking for a modern bullseye-type putter. You get the tungsten screws in the flange, too, for some added MOI.
    They can be had for decent prices on eBay, too.

Posted:
    TC Callaway Epic SZ 440 11.4° w/ Diamana BF 60TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX4 Tour Raw 53°/58° DG S400 Tour Issue
    PXG Dagger 35" 
  • j.a.j.a.  1576Members Posts: 1,576

I love the Bullseye design, very simple and effective. I do have a SC in CS with Pro Platinum finish which I only roll on the carpet from time to time.

My gamer is a Lajosi L-Blade Flange, it's heavier but also in CS with gunmetal finish and deep milling. Soft and forgiving, I found it so great that I have another on order.

Kari has both versions, the classic blade and the flange and also the LP808 & LP809 that would be like a 8802.

Posted:
  • SUITSSUITS  978Members Posts: 978

Cleveland made several 8802 blades, most are plated carbon steel. They are typically pretty cheap

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  761Members Posts: 761

I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name.
    Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3228Members Posts: 3,228

Kronos makes a modern version of Hogan's putter.

Posted:
    TC Callaway Epic SZ 440 11.4° w/ Diamana BF 60TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX4 Tour Raw 53°/58° DG S400 Tour Issue
    PXG Dagger 35" 

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill  6962Marshals Posts: 6,962

Tried/owned a lot of the new stuff - never bought into newer greens needing heavier putter head crap. Currently using a bullseye heel which is great!

Posted:
    WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • BIG STUBIG STU  11832Members Posts: 11,832

@James the Hogan Fan said:
    I have gamed a number of vintage styles before settling on my current gamer 3 years running, in the form of a MacGregor Autograph 651 Jackie Pung.

This is a gooseneck style or some call it a calamity jane style. A true blade and suitable for the player with the swinging gate stroke. My model has decent offset as well, which for me promotes some forward press. Not the most forgiving thing in the world, but amazing feel. Also good if you like to get your eyes over the ball. I'm left-eyed and love the setup look.

The bullseye is another, simple blade type, but with a centered shaft. There is zero offset and you cannot have your hands in front of the ball or else you are popping it into the ground. Couldn't make the adjustment, but it's a sweet look.

In the same catagory is this putter that Hogan used, I don't know the style name.
    Basically a squarer, heftier bullseye, with less sole radius. I find these more playable but still not in the bag.

One thing that has kept me away from the 8802, though I enjoy the heel shaft, is the depth of the face. I personally worry I'm going to miss-hit the ball high or low. The one little mind thing that ruins me. Also, coming from the other blades, this thing almost feels like a mallet... requiring a bit more straight back and through than I like.

More than likely that is the Macgregor version of a Spalding Cash IN----- I can not think of the name of it to save my life right now

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Old Adams 22* Pro Force Red
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60*
    Putter (for now) Original Standard Acushnet Bullseye

@tgoodspe1991 said:
    I really want to try and game an old-school, classic style putter. I've got my eye right now on a Bettinardi BB2 or FCB, but have an itch to maybe try a Bullseye as well.

Would love to hear y'alls thoughts on various classic shapes (even ones I didn't mention), how they play, what type of stroke/eye dominance/setup they're good for, and anything else you'd like to share.

Help convince me to pull the trigger on a classic!!

I mess with a lot of classic blade putters mostly Macgregor Ironmasters and Bulls Eyes--- I do not own a real Wilson 8802 but own a Cleveland Designed by and a Little David 8802. I can tell you several things from experience. Also those putters do not have any forgiveness period. Also if you are a feel player like I am the newer balls like a Pro V tend to hop off the face and feel harsh to me. Remember these classic putters were built and played in the softer balata days. They do fine for me with a softer ball like a Srixon Soft Feel. But if you are rolling it good you get instant feedback and great feel

Posted:

LW Cleveland 588 60*

• KloeshumanKloeshuman  51Members Posts: 51

I really like a bullseye

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  761Members Posts: 761

@BIG STU said:

More than likely that is the Macgregor version of a Spalding Cash IN----- I can not think of the name of it to save my life right now

It's funny because I have a Spalding cash-in style , but it's not named that because it's the store-line club... back when the OEM's made knock-offs of themselves and sold them at Sears...

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Advertisement
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB)  3665Members Posts: 3,665

Ray Cook MS-1, Golfcraft El Rio Combo, Bullseye Heavy Blade, Ping A1, O or A Blade, Wilson Billy Casper Mallet.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+, 10*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 14.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Taylor Made Super Launch 22*, stock "R"
    TM RSi2 Forged 5-GW, KBS Tour 105 R
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Mizuno TP Mills TPM3

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5504Members Posts: 5,504

I have used an Arnold Pamer AP30R for over 20 years, and just recently switched to a TM Soto since moving to FL. I love the Palmer on bent or otherwise fast greens. The Soto has more speed off the face which has been helpful on grainier Bermuda.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • wam78wam78  425Members Posts: 425

A good happy medium might be going with something like the Bettinardi ss6. It feels really good and has good weight to it as well. It's not technically a classic, but it's a modern version of one. Put a sight dot on it and it's money!

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2
    Cobra F8 15* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2
    816 Alpha 18* Fubuki z75 x5ct 
    OR
    Mizuno MP H5 2i Fujikara Pro 2.0 85 Hybrid
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 4-pw Modus 120s
    NCW Proto 50*, Scratch raw 54*, Scratch raw 58* Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4408Members Posts: 4,408

The old Spalding TP Mills are nice. Pavin was using a Bullseye in the Sr. Tour a week or two ago. I still have an OG Anser and 8802 "Original". They don't get out much. Only had the Bullseye for a week back in the early 80s. I hated it. The Zebra mallet was also popular back in the late 70s/early 80s. The putter pictured above that looks like a small 1 iron were on their way out by the mid 70s when I started to play golf.

Posted:
  • dhen9dhen9  692Members Posts: 692

Go whole hog and find a green metallic painted shaft Tommy Armour MacGregor Ironmaster.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bpink21901bpink21901 MD 8Members Posts: 8

I mostly use a bullseye center shafted wide flange i bought back in 197??? and love the look of that head. But I switch in a ping anser and a couple different TPM style once in a while for fun & something different to look at. I added some bottom weight tape to the bullseye and anser which helped my distance control on longer putts. A few years ago I swapped out the grip on the bullseye for a larger winn and that helped cure the occasional pulls on shorter putts.

Posted:

Ping G10, 9*, ProLaunch Red S
    RBZ 3 wood
    A couple hybrids...nothing loyal
    Tour Cavity Forged, 5-9 DG S300
    Cleveland 588, Proj X LZ 6.5
    Bullseye Wide Flange, Anser, Zing, various TPM's etc. whichever is currently "working"

@dhen9 said:
    Go whole hog and find a green metallic painted shaft Tommy Armour MacGregor Ironmaster.

Those are hard to find one of the few Ironmasters I do not own. Anyone who is lucky enough to have one will not part from it. In classic circles it is called a green pyratone shaft. I have putted with a couple of them and they do have a unique feel for some reason I can not explain

Posted:

LW Cleveland 588 60*

@LeoLeo99 said:
    The old Spalding TP Mills are nice. Pavin was using a Bullseye in the Sr. Tour a week or two ago. I still have an OG Anser and 8802 "Original". They don't get out much. Only had the Bullseye for a week back in the early 80s. I hated it. The Zebra mallet was also popular back in the late 70s/early 80s. The putter pictured above that looks like a small 1 iron were on their way out by the mid 70s when I started to play golf.

Corey Pavin has used that for years and still can putt lights out with it----- Another one that can putt lights out with one is a Canadian named Mark McNulty--- He played the regular tour some and the senior tour. His has been heated and bent has his name stamped in the back and is so beat up it looks like it has been used for a plow point----- but he could roll the rock with it. I think he has retired now from comp

Posted:

LW Cleveland 588 60*

• dhen9dhen9  692Members Posts: 692

@BIG STU said:

@dhen9 said:

Those are hard to find one of the few Ironmasters I do not own. Anyone who is lucky enough to have one will not part from it. In classic circles it is called a green pyratone shaft. I have putted with a couple of them and they do have a unique feel for some reason I can not explain

The pro at a local executive course where I learned to play had one. It had a good amount of lead tape on the sweet spot. It had the coolest thing pistol wrap and a clevis pin for a counter balance it was literally the coolest putting device I'd ever used. I still look now and again on eBay but now I know why I can't find one.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USA 6677Members Posts: 6,677

@BIG STU said:

In terms of matching that general shape/style....

A TP Mills, either Spalding, Mizuno TPM-1, or similar models, or Wilson 8820 might be a good analogue for the pic from James' post. I nearly bought an 8820 in the early 2000s, and have a TPM-3, both are lovely.

Then there are the Tad Moore models like the famous TM-2.

And so on

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Dynacraft SP700 (275cc) 8.5*, Apache PM-50+ S, 44"
    2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGS400
    LW:  Maltby Design MS Grind 60*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • IvyguyIvyguy  1553Members Posts: 1,553

The newer 8802 from Wilson has a more modern weight of 350 grams. I live in FL and use a SP81 (Tmag ghost 8802) the roll tech helps a bit.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file