Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Senior Driver; Less Than 240 Yards

platgof ·  
platgofplatgof platgof 1696ClubWRX Posts: 1,696

Playing a Fusion 12* driver @ 45", and it has stayed in the bag for quite awhile. I tried an F8 driver, and it wanted to go right on me all the time. If you have found something for shorter hitters and it does the job, please let me know. Big hitters not allowed, beat it flat belly.

Posted:

Golf Star 12*
5 & 7 F9
5 ,6, & 7 OS Hybrids
7-PW M CGB Irons
AW, SW, LW Glide
Spyder C/S Putter
ERC Soft

Scrambler from everywhere

Comments

• stmikestmike  7Members Posts: 7

I'm in the same "senior" hitting situation, and tried a couple of different new drivers last year. The one that gave me the most success is the Callaway Epic 10.5. But we all have different swings, and what works for others may not be for you.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5667Members Posts: 5,667

My Ping G400 has been in the bag for 2 seasons. That's a first! Long and forgiving.

Posted:
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • slolaneslolane  15Members Posts: 15

Ping g400 max with Distanza shaft is long and very straight for this 67 year old.

Posted:

Driver Ping g400max Distanza shaft
    Ping g400 3w
    Ping g400 7w
    Ping g400 4I-pw Alta senior graphite
    Ping Glide 3.0 52 wedge
    Callaway 58 sure out sw graphite
    Bettinardi studio stock #3 putter
    Retired and enjoying life

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62  1680Members Posts: 1,680

Sounds like your experience with the F8 weren’t good. You should try the F7. I have one and the ball goes a long way. If also has an extra weight port the F8 doesn’t and it really helps keep the ball from going right. I don’t use it in that setting because it makes the ball go way left for me. It also has draw settings with the loft adjustments if you needed that.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1696ClubWRX Posts: 1,696

I am leery of buying another Cobra driver. I am guessing the F 9 would be more like it. The Ping Max sounds very interesting. Too bad it is not available in 12*. It will take a special driver to knock the Fusion out of the bag. Has anyone tried the Cleveland Launcher or the new Turbo?

Posted:

Golf Star 12*
    5 & 7 F9
    5 ,6, & 7 OS Hybrids
    7-PW M CGB Irons
    AW, SW, LW Glide
    Spyder C/S Putter
    ERC Soft

• slolaneslolane  15Members Posts: 15

@platgof said:
    I am leery of buying another Cobra driver. I am guessing the F 9 would be more like it. The Ping Max sounds very interesting. Too bad it is not available in 12*. It will take a special driver to knock the Fusion out of the bag. Has anyone tried the Cleveland Launcher or the new Turbo?

The 400 max 10.5 is adjustable to 11.5 not quite 12 but close.

Posted:

Driver Ping g400max Distanza shaft
    Ping g400 3w
    Ping g400 7w
    Ping g400 4I-pw Alta senior graphite
    Ping Glide 3.0 52 wedge
    Callaway 58 sure out sw graphite
    Bettinardi studio stock #3 putter
    Retired and enjoying life

Advertisement
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? Winnipeg 9603ClubWRX Posts: 9,603

G400 Max or G400 is where you should look.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• BrianM18BrianM18  44Members Posts: 44

@platgof said:
    Playing a Fusion 12* driver @ 45", and it has stayed in the bag for quite awhile. I tried an F8 driver, and it wanted to go right on me all the time. If you have found something for shorter hitters and it does the job, please let me know. Big hitters not allowed, beat it flat belly.

I have the F8 and I’m not long myself. But I play it with the weight in the heel spot and 9.5 degree and it is pretty straight for me. I had the f7 prior and played that with weight in the front and the 8 to me is longer straighter and easier to hit consistently. Just my 2 cents ,but I’d move the weight around and play with the draw lofts as well

Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7834Members Posts: 7,834

Love the G410, but maybe look at the TS1 also?

Posted:
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60*
    Heel shafted blade
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2  9233Members Posts: 9,233

Titleist TS1 10.5 with the Fubuki 45g shaft beats them all for me, and I've played or demoed them all😜
    Titleist got it right with the weighting in this one. Usually I can't stand ultra lite drivers. But this doesn't feel too lite and I picked up 3 to 5 mph swing speed with it.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    PING G700 6-W KBS Alta CB R
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 

• Soccerrick10Soccerrick10  92Members Posts: 92

After a year of struggling with the G400, I switched to TaylorMade M6. It is the best driver I’ve had. I never cared for any of them before. But, it is longer and straighter on good hits while being more forgiving on my missed hits. Typically my misses are toe and or low on the face. This one helps Me the best.

Last week I went with my 88 year old father-in-law. You should have seen his smiles when he hit it too.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 596596 Lakeland, FL 3711Members Posts: 3,711

I'm playing the Ping Max at 10.5. I was playing a Ping K15 SFT 12*. The K15 allowed the face to square more easily and prevented the ball going right. So I added about 12 grams of lead tape to the Ping Max at the heal in the same spot as it would be with the K15. Now the Ping Max plays just like my K15 SFT.

Posted:
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NE 552Members Posts: 552

I played the Tour Edge EXS 10.5 with senior graphite shaft and really enjoyed it. However, I'm currently playing the Callaway Rogue draw at 10.5 with a graphite senior shaft. The Rogue is definitely longer and I have no problem hitting it straight. It is cut down to 44 inches. I'm 71 and 5' 6". I played 18 with it yesterday and missed 4 fairways... none of them by very much. I haven't hit an out of bounds in forever.

Posted:
  • golftejasgolftejas  452Members Posts: 452

You might demo a Ping G400 Max at 10.5* if you get a chance ... this is a higher-spin head, so you might find it provides enough spin to provide good stability/accuracy/height for your shots. I've found this head to be extremely forgiving with good shot heights for me. And if you loft-it-up 1* to play at 11.5*, the face will be a little more closed to help with any right-miss tendencies.

Posted:
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green Michigan 4469Members Posts: 4,469

Far be it from me to offer up a suggestion for D replacement recommendations. Should be heading to your LGS to audition the various D's available. Determine what may suitable for your swing and eye. Sort of what I did over the course of the last year or so. Trying different D head and shaft combinations. The conclusion, the one that offered the best all around results was a 10.5* Ping G400 Max with the Alta 55g shaft in regular. No other D offered the combination of acceptable distance, control and feel. A real fairway finder! Not that much longer in distance than the 910 D2 it replaced. The major benefit realized was it just wants to go straight, even when ball contact is something less than center face. As I'm wont to do with some regularity.

Tried A flex shafts during the auditioning process. Realized the best measured distances so equipped, but would experience some bad hooks if I tried to step on it a bit. Shafts below 50g and flexy were a dangerous proposition when I swung aggressively. Been liking it at the standard setting so much, haven't gotten around to "spinning the dial" to see if I can realize any marginal improvements by the exercise.

Been averaging ~ 230 yards with it (this 68 year old senior doesn't hit as far as I once did). More than pleased with that. And reliably in and around the fairway. Driving of the golf ball with a D has become a strength in my otherwise very average golf game. As always, YMMV.

Posted:
    Post edited by Fellaheen51 on
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • bluedotbluedot  3505Members Posts: 3,505

@platgof said:

You REALLY need to work with a fitter, but I can tell you my own experience with similar circumstances. Hopefully, the takeaway from my story will be confirmation that drivers are different, AND that old guys can get a better result thru careful fitting.

I had been using a 12* Rapture driver and then a 12* K15, both of which I was fitted to, and neither with the stock shaft. I went for a fitting in 2014 when the G30 came out because I thought the SFT line looked like an "updated" K15. To my surprise, the fit for me was the 10* SFT with the TFC stock shaft set to the big plus (closed face). With that setup, I picked up 10 yards, primarily because of less spin than the previous drivers, AND had better dispersion. So where the best fit had been more loft with a mid launch shaft, the best fit became less loft with a higher launch shaft; all of that caught me by surprise, but I used the G30 for 4 years and loved it.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2017, at which time I did a fitting for the G400 because people were reporting higher swing speeds due to the slightly smaller head. And in fact I did pick up 3 mph, and gained back 8-10 yards that I had lost to age (almost 65 then, 67 now). It was still a 10* SFT head with the stock shaft, but set to the neutral position. I've gotten GREAT results with the G400, exceeding the numbers that the fitting predicted.

So find somebody really good, and let them see if they can get you some good results.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty  3639Members Posts: 3,639

Epic Flash 10.5 fitted for you. Or experiment with different settings. Using the 50+ gram stock shaft. Got mine to 9.5 neutral setting which opens the face, and the weight at toe but works for my push draw.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny  493Members Posts: 493

Of all the fittings I see with older guys who have moderate clubhead speed (and I see a lot), the Epic Flash and the G410 seem to be two clubheads that perform really well when mixed with the right shaft for that "senior" player.

Posted:
  • DavidvDavidv  806Members Posts: 806

Ping G400 Max with the Distanza 40G shaft. Or the Wilson D7 driver.

Posted:
  • myspinonitmyspinonit  2863Members Posts: 2,863

Echoing at least one "get fit" recommendation, especially where you can get shaft options.
    Here's my example if you can bear with a bit of a read:
    I don't hit it as far as OP, other than some very rare occasions, usually dry conditions away from the Pacific NW. Just barely around 80mph, shorter backswing, aggressive transition. I really like my G400 SFT 12° to which I was fitted into the Kuro Kage Tini 60 R shaft. The stock Alta 55 CB shaft just did not work for me (tried several shafts in case I had a "bad" one) with two different fittings, the last by a Ping rep. The stock Reg was not firm enough - with my relatively short backswing and aggressive transition. I lost a lot of distance and control with the stock shaft. The Stock S felt much better and results weren't much different than the KK, but that might have been pushing it on an ongoing bases. The Tour Reg was ok and smooth, but the KK gave slightly better numbers at my fitting and importantly felt a bit better.

At least a couple of guys in my league hit the G400, gained yards and play the stock senior shaft. But they have longer and fluid swings. I picked up some G hybrids and fairways in 2018 and 2019 (stock Reg) and like them better than my G25's. So I recently bought a stock G Alta 55 R driver shaft from eBay to try. It never made the course, just a bit of range time. It was a "better" fit than the G400 stock for me. But, it still was a shorter than the KK for me and tended to slice. The only way for me to square it up well was to set it to the highest setting and really feel I was holding off the release. Straight then, but still with less distance than the KK and without the confidence.

I haven't tried any of the G410 series though the different adjustability options sound intriguing mostly as they are too much coin right now and i don't want to be tempted. Might still demo the 410 driver when away this winter.
    FWIW.

Posted:
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60 R
    Ping G 5 Wood 17.5° (@ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G 7 wood 20.5°( @ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70 R
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A
    Vokey SM6 49.07F ; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80 R
    Wilson Staff Infinite The Bean (2018 model )
    Backup Putter: White Steel 2 Ball with Spry Evo custom aircraft aluminum insert
    Ball: Srixon QStar Tour

• SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, Florida 900ClubWRX Posts: 900

Try a demo of the XXIO X. Consistent, surprisingly longer than my G400 max. They will send to you for a two week trial for postage cost only. I did and have zero regrets. Gone from 210/220 carry to 220/230+. Feels whippy at first but by the back nine, every tee shot is just a nice pass at the ball. Stiff shaft is just firm. Just as forgiving as the ping.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed  3481Members Posts: 3,481

I have a 9.5* G400 with the stiff flex copper Xtorsion shaft and its a good stick but I don't get any roll out with it. Changed now to an F9 with an Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6S 10.5* and my drives are flatter, fly as far but I get a good 10-15 yard roll out. The difference? The Cobra is probably just a better combination for my swing.

Posted:
  • jimbjimb  1764Members Posts: 1,764

@stmike said:
    I'm in the same "senior" hitting situation, and tried a couple of different new drivers last year. The one that gave me the most success is the Callaway Epic 10.5. But we all have different swings, and what works for others may not be for you.

I am 70, but still hit it decently. My normal 8 iron carry is about 145 yards as a reference point. I hit is high as well. For the past several season I was playing the original Epic SZ in 9 degree and thought it was a great driver for me despite being low spin. This year, I felt like I was losing distance. I needed my spin. I put the Epic Flash in the bag (not the SZ) in a 10.5 with a Evenflow Blue stiff in it and picked up about 15 yards. I am routinely hitting it on medium run fairways over 250 and what is amazing is how accurate I can hit it. A game changer for me.

Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370Members Posts: 4,370

There are some choices for the non-conforming driver out there and if you don't play tournament golf this might be considered, and the shaved face process might give you a few more yards. Slower swing speed will have less chance of cracking the shaved face on the driver.
    I am going back to see my physical therapist, to get an idea of why my shoulder and arm is sore and routine for exercise to strengthen the core.
    I was told the discs in the spinal core ( especially in the neck and the lower back ) had degenerated faster from golfing. A few stretching exercise had relieved some of the symptom of soreness of shoulder/neck and arm.
    I would say, if you want your youthful driving distance back ( or part of it ), get your body in shape. I went to the sports PT with emphasis on the spine by referral from my family Doctor and the hand surgeon.
    Equipment and therapy will delay the aging process, and eventually , moving up in the tee position will be the last call.

Posted:
    Post edited by wkuo3 on
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1696ClubWRX Posts: 1,696

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I may try moving the weights around on the F8 for now and retry that. But I am going through your suggestions and the Max seems to be king, with the 410, Flash, and 400 following closely. I own a bunch of drivers and the unicorn has to be out there somewhere. Yea, a better swing would help tons. I mentioned the 240 as a baseline for my swing, that is downhill and hard ground. More like 210 on an average basis. The brick hard ground from no rain, has added at least 20 yards lately, so that throws it off significantly.

Posted:

Golf Star 12*
    5 & 7 F9
    5 ,6, & 7 OS Hybrids
    7-PW M CGB Irons
    AW, SW, LW Glide
    Spyder C/S Putter
    ERC Soft

• Snowman9000Snowman9000  1148Members Posts: 1,148

Have you tried turning the F8 up in loft, to stop the rights? Turning the loft up will close the clubface at address, providing you hold the club in such a way as to allow it to happen. My F7 sits noticeably closed on the higher lofts and open on the lower lofts. This is how the loft adjustments work, but some drivers have soles that make the club sit square no matter the adjustment. Cobra is supposed to have this but my F7 does indeed show the changed face angle when soled on the ground.

Posted:
    Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini

Advertisement
  • myspinonitmyspinonit  2863Members Posts: 2,863

@platgof said:
    Thanks to all of you for your responses. I may try moving the weights around on the F8 for now and retry that. But I am going through your suggestions and the Max seems to be king, with the 410, Flash, and 400 following closely. I own a bunch of drivers and the unicorn has to be out there somewhere. Yea, a better swing would help tons. I mentioned the 240 as a baseline for my swing, that is downhill and hard ground. More like 210 on an average basis. The brick hard ground from no rain, has added at least 20 yards lately, so that throws it off significantly.

If you have "a bunch of drivers " already it sounds to me like a great opportunity to find a good fitter in your area bringing along at least some of the contenders for fitting and/or "better swing" options.

Posted:
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60 R
    Ping G 5 Wood 17.5° (@ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G 7 wood 20.5°( @ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70 R
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A
    Vokey SM6 49.07F ; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80 R
    Wilson Staff Infinite The Bean (2018 model )
    Backup Putter: White Steel 2 Ball with Spry Evo custom aircraft aluminum insert
    Ball: Srixon QStar Tour

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork  4120Members Posts: 4,120

I fit your description. I had been playing the Callaway big Bertha alpha for several years and I went for a fitting in August. I ended up with the ping g410 plus (9.0 loft, set to 10.5 degrees with the weight set to fade). For me, that an extremely forgiving setup which gained me 10 to 20 off the tee.

Interestingly, the 410 plus is in this site's best 2019 drivers for 85 to 95 mph swingers (us). The driver fitting cost me $50 and it was worth it - I have fiddled with the loft and weight settings on this driver and it has always been a mistake. This for settings which I would never have thought of trying.

Posted:
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4049Members Posts: 4,049

@platgof said:

what Shaft and flex are you playing in your Fusion?

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

Advertisement
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4049Members Posts: 4,049

While not a senior yet (43 yrs old) I have tried just about every driver out there in the past 10 years.
    What I find is that most end up producing about the same yardage for me (I track via Game Golf).
    I swing around 90 mph on avg (high 80’s when cold – maybe a tick over 90 on a hot day and warmed up). So my yardage is usually in that 195-210 carry range and up to 220-240 with roll depending on the conditions. I played Friday on a firm hot day and had 11 drives between 234 and 269 but that is the anomaly.

Anyhow finding a driver that looks good to the eye at address and mitigates the miss I find is key.
    For me my issue was finding a driver that reduced the big sweeping hook or worse yet the low snap hook (my bad miss). I like a driver to sit upright but I do not like the face to look closed. Also I need launch as my grip is overly strong and I hood the face down at impact reducing effective loft.

I tried them all this year, F9, M1-M6, Flash, Wilson, Srixon, Mizzy, Tour Edge EXS, G410, you name it I hit it. I even went for PXG fitting and spent $700+ on Gen2 XF 14* with Tensei Orange Pro Stiff shaft. That ended up being a bust.
    The Flash 12* with Px Even Flow Green 55g 5.5 flex ended up beating them all.
    I can put the setting at +1 to help launch the ball, set it to D to raise the lie angle and put the weight to full fade to help with my hook miss.
    So far it checks all the boxes and I am hitting it very well. After 12 rds, Game Golf shows a 227 yd avg, 236 Typical drive, and 62% FIR.

Other drivers that worked pretty well for me too:
    M3 12* with HZRDUS T800 5.5 – 220 Avg; 236 Typical; 66% FIR
    Epic 13.5* with HZRDUS T800 5.5 – 219 Avg; 235 Typical; 59% FIR
    Great Big Bertha 13.5 *‘15/16 – 224 Avg; 223 Typical; 58% FIR

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5