Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Dealing with growth spurts

wildcatden ·  
wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower 1007Members Posts: 1,007
Joined:  edited Sep 21, 2019 4:28am in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

My 8YO has had a growth spurt of about an 1.75" since late July. He was 52.5" in late July and now 54.25". Both measurements taken with golf shoes on. I'm pretty sure some of this spurt has happened very recently because I have some driver swing videos from about 3 weeks ago that look fine for an 8YO.

This recent growth has wreaked some havoc on his swing...particularly driver swing as he is far below the swing plane, swing speed all over the place (like waaaay all over the place) and he just does not look in proper form. What have you guys done as you go through these growth spurts to get a swing back in order? Head for some lessons? Start back at the green and work from green-to-tee while taking the swing through the putting, chipping, 7:30 backswing, 9:00 backswing, 10:30 backswing, and then full turn? Just keep swinging? Do non-golf related coordination activities?

Posted:

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

Comments

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3378Members Posts: 3,378

@wildcatden said:
    My 8YO has had a growth spurt of about an 1.75" since late July. He was 52.5" in late July and now 54.25". Both measurements taken with golf shoes on. I'm pretty sure some of this spurt has happened very recently because I have some driver swing videos from about 3 weeks ago that look fine for an 8YO.

This recent growth has wreaked some havoc on his swing...particularly driver swing as he is far below the swing plane, swing speed all over the place (like waaaay all over the place) and he just does not look in proper form. What have you guys done as you go through these growth spurts to get a swing back in order? Head for some lessons? Start back at the green and work from green-to-tee while taking the swing through the putting, chipping, 7:30 backswing, 9:00 backswing, 10:30 backswing, and then full turn? Just keep swinging? Do non-golf related coordination activities?

Mobility and stability is a must to ease the awkwardness of growth spurts. Need to do them throughout the year. Just keep swinging. He needs to learn where the bottom of the club again is all. It will be worse when he goes through adolescence.

Had a semi-discussion with our coach this morning. The kid has only been playing for 2 weeks after a broken hand and one month layoff. Grew about an inch, has started new workout program, combined with not playing was a recipe for not playing well this weekend. Not the end of the world as it is just high school golf. High School golf season is the time to get better. After the HS season shutting it down until February with the focus of getting bigger, faster, stronger, and longer. The body and brain have a lot to adapt to when going through these things. It is a shock to the nervous system and the brain has to catch up to the speed and strength. It doesn't happen overnight.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1234Members Posts: 1,234

It gets worse. In a few years you will be sick of buying new equipment and will keep trying to figure out there distances on any given day which is next to impossible when it seems like they go go up a club or two every month. Don’t worry though it is a good problem to have but not ideal when playing tournaments.

In the last year we also had to deal with awkward chipping and now we have putting issues with that would make your head spin. Have not found a perfect solution but working on things seems to help and just plain expect change.

Sometimes you just have to understand things will be off and you will have a very bad weekend. I was focus on just improving all round and eventually they stop growing and everything catches up. Playing with other kids going though it you see the same things happening too. The parents who don’t see it start to get worried their kids are going to get left behind.

Posted:
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1007Members Posts: 1,007

Thanks @heavy_hitter for the thoughts. We went out on the course today and just kept swinging. One thing I noticed is that my kid was putting the club in the Dustin Johnson "laid off" position at the top of the backswing. Not sure where this came from, but got him to adjust (stop doing it for now) and immediately his backswing looked good again (hands higher). Driver is still a mystery as the power has disappeared. Irons looked good though and if he could have made a putt today (3 birdie putts from 6-8 feet and missed them all), it would have been a great round.

Posted:

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

• Jc0Jc0 Chicago 1945Members Posts: 1,945

Just make sure is mechanics stay solid. There is really nothing you can do when his body is different day to day. Also don't over react to any issues you see. When his body stabilizes he will become much more consistent. This is coming from someone who went from 5'5" at 10 to 6'1" at 13. His game will be off until his growth slows down.

Posted:
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1007Members Posts: 1,007

Yes, it's definitely a struggle. He went from driving over 150 yards to barely hitting it 120 yards. Just as a precaution, I asked him if anything hurt on his body or he injured himself and he says no. So we keep swinging....

Posted:

• hangontighthangontight  642Members Posts: 642

Joining the fray, my soon to be 9 year old played yesterday in a casual local muni tmnt deal .... he literally almost missed the ball with driver one-hole....knicked the inside of the hosel and dribbled about 4’ off the tee box. All around he looked like a different kid/golfer than I’ve ever seen ...taking a few DEEP breathes and keep on ....

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11  419Members Posts: 419

Jumping in. My son is in the middle of another growth spurt. His irons and wedges are okay. Driver, fairway, and hybrid are best guess for that day. Some days he can hit em well, others it is a total mess.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file