Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Taylor Made Spider weight torque specs

McGee72 ·  
McGee72McGee72  89Members Posts: 89

My weight was rattling in my Spider putter so I used a Taylor made weight wrench to tighten in back up.... but it snapped off. Are the putter weights not installed with the same torque specs as the driver weights?

Posted:

Comments

• WigglyCometWigglyComet  23Members Posts: 23

I learned it the hard way and snapped a weight off in my putter. After that I only tightened till it feels like it's snug, don't use the full force of the driver wrench.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jll62jll62 Minneapolis 2228ClubWRX Posts: 2,228

Yeah, this is kind of a live and learn topic. I've been using a spider of some sort for a long time and had a weight issue years ago from over-tightening. Ever since then, it's been tighten until snug.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-4, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • RH82RH82 Alberta, Canada 2182Members Posts: 2,182

Which Spider? Tour or X version?

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 (9.5*)
    Srixon F45 (17*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Taylormade Spider X
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24101Members Posts: 24,101

It's usually just the lighter 1 and 2 gm weights you have to worry about with the new torque wrench. But no, even the heavier ones don't need the full click that the driver head screws need. The original TM wrench for the r7 weights (before the adjustable hosel) was ~3/4 of the torque of the current wrench.

Posted:

@Stuart_G said:
    It's usually just the lighter 1 and 2 gm weights you have to worry about with the new torque wrench. But no, even the heavier ones don't need the full click that the driver head screws need. The original TM wrench for the r7 weights (before the adjustable hosel) was ~3/4 of the torque of the current wrench.

With the older spiders? I'm about to swap weights in my Spider X today and do not want to mess it up. TM said to tighten until it clicks with that version.

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 (9.5*)
    Srixon F45 (17*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Taylormade Spider X

@RH82 said:

@Stuart_G said:

With the older spiders? I'm about to swap weights in my Spider X today and do not want to mess it up. TM said to tighten until it clicks with that version.

Do you know the size of the weights? how heavy are each weight?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

Swapping the 2g to he 6g weights in my Spider X and I have a wrench from an R11 driver.

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 (9.5*)
    Srixon F45 (17*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Taylormade Spider X

@RH82 said:
    Swapping the 2g to he 6g weights in my Spider X and I have a wrench from an R11 driver.

You should not have any problems tightening the 6 gm weights until the click. Now it's not really necessary to get that tight for the putter weights but it shouldn't hurt anything. Its only if you go back to the 2 gm weights that you might have to be concerned about over tightening them.

Posted:
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie  968ClubWRX Posts: 968

a tiny dot of loctite blue and just tighten til snug. That should hold it with no issues

Posted:
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71  324Members Posts: 324

I've just tighten till snug. Never had a problem. Check it every now and again for smiles and giggles

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file