Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Need mid size grip suggestion please.

edweather ·  
edweatheredweather  30Members Posts: 30

Have been playing standard grips my whole life. Now 64 years old, 14 handicap, and recently tried a friends mid size grip on his club, and it felt good. My hands aren't large, but another friend said that mid sized grips can offer better control. I would like to try out an all-season mid size grip on a couple of my clubs to see how I like them. Have been looking at a Golf Pride CP2. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Posted:
Post edited by edweather on

Comments

• BetterAtBingoBetterAtBingo  77Members Posts: 77

I use the CP2s in the winter and the New Decade Multis in the summer for better traction.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PulledabillPulledabill  385Members Posts: 385

Ive gone to GP 2g Tour Wrap. Soft and have been good with my arthritic hands. You do need to give a quick wipe with damp towel and they will be nice and tacky. Affirdable as well. I do hear good things about the CP2 but Ive also heard not great things when wet if rain is an issue.

Posted:
  • edweatheredweather  30Members Posts: 30

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Here in SE Georgia the humidity and sweat might make the CP2s a bit slippery.

Posted:
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000  1148Members Posts: 1,148

I use the Tour Wrap Gen 2 and like it, but it's not good in humidity.

Posted:
    Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal Eagle 427Members Posts: 427

I'm in Houston where humidity is a big problem. The Winn Dri-Tac Midsize are excellent for dealing with the humidity and are also great at absorbing shock in the event that you have arthritis (which I do).

Posted:

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• Howard JonesHoward Jones  9562Members Posts: 9,562

@edweather said:
    Have been playing standard grips my whole life. Now 64 years old, 14 handicap, and recently tried a friends mid size grip on his club, and it felt good. My hands aren't large, but another friend said that mid sized grips can offer better control. I would like to try out an all-season mid size grip on a couple of my clubs to see how I like them. Have been looking at a Golf Pride CP2. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Ed

You already got a few suggestions, i just chime in with some additional info about grip sizing in general.
    The standard for measuring grip size say we shall measure diameter 2 inch below the butt end thats it, so it really dont tell more than "half the story" since the taper or how large that grip is for the lowest hand is not mentioned, and you want even find actual specs for that.

In general. Golfpride models has more taper than Lamkin, EXCEPT for their "plus 4" models, where plus 4 means "4 Layers under the lowest hand" as build up compared to the standard model. 4 Layers = MID size when we use 0.015 BU tape, so a grip like MCC+4 in "standard" size, has a lower part equal to Golfpride MID size.

Another parameter to be aware of is grip weight. Standard grips is 50-52 grams, and it vary a lot how much difference there is from the std model to MiD size. Some models like GP Tour Velvet is only 4 grams up to MID, while New Decade is about 13.5 gram up from the standard model, and MCC +4 is about 14 grams up.

We can also Build up the grip size using tape, but the tape adds weight too, and Golf BU tape of 0.015 for each layer (4 wraps from STD to MID), is 2 grams for each layer, so we go 8 grams up if we use BU tape to get there.

Never mind the grips influence on the SW scale, the scale dont understand what we are up to, so this is NOT about balance, but TOTAL weight, and my suggestion is to look at models who dont add to much weight vs standard.

If its mostly the lower hand who need more diameter, we can use asymmetrical BU tape to straiten out the taper and add diameter for the lowest hand, and leave the rest close to standard. If thats of interest, follow this link for how to make that. (This is very nice for wedges to improve control of face angle, so it became a "standard" for Wedges from my shop)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/7918195#Comment_7918195

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MA 382Members Posts: 382

@Philomathesq said:
    I'm in Houston where humidity is a big problem. The Winn Dri-Tac Midsize are excellent for dealing with the humidity and are also great at absorbing shock in the event that you have arthritis (which I do).

+1 for the Winn Dri-Tacs. I've been playing them for a couple seasons now, and love them. New England heat and humidity in the summertime is pretty bad, and my hands have always gotten sweaty, and I've had no problems with my grips since switching to these.

A company called Champkey makes knockoffs that you can get on Amazon for significantly less than the Winns. A couple folks on here say they're just as good, but I haven't tried them myself.

Posted:
  • Demo1Demo1  213Members Posts: 213

Lamkin Sonar

Posted:
  • PulledabillPulledabill  385Members Posts: 385

The Dritacs are superior in wet/moist conditions. but they are the worst in wear. Expect to replace at least once a year. Some clubs you migght replace a couple times a year.

Posted:
  • lazyjc4lazyjc4  889Members Posts: 889

I prefer a reminder, or ribbed grip. Pure pro and GP Tour Velvet Align are offered in midsize and are both really nice.

Posted:
    Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    Cobra F7 3/4 14.5* Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75
    TM GAPR Hi 17.5* Speeder Tourspec HB 9.8 
    Ping G Crossover 3 Ping Tour 90
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54* S200
    PM Grind 58* KBS Hi-Rev
    Bettinardi B55 Counterbalanced 38"
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star
  • CRAFTYLEFTY20CRAFTYLEFTY20  66Members Posts: 66

Pure dtx midsize

Posted:

Advertisement
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly!  1206Members Posts: 1,206

I'm 66 and have played Iomic Mid Size for six or seven years now and have no intentions of changing.
    In fact, quite a few people that have tried mine have converted as well and several of them are in their 30's and 40's - including my wife (who, unfortunately, is NOT in her 30's or 40's)!
    Great feel and I recommend wiping them down with acetone every month or two and they will retain their tackiness for an extended period of time.
    I play 4 - 5 times per week and hit a lot of balls and mine are nearing the end of their second full season and are still in great shape.

Posted:
  • dcopp7dcopp7  1141Members Posts: 1,141

Golf Pride wrap 2G with 4 or more wraps of tape under the lower hand

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter
  • pt73pt73  633Members Posts: 633

Golf Pride Super Tack.

I started using them went I moved to midsize and they are excellent, also not massively tapered like some others so I don't need to put extra wraps under the bottom hand.

Posted:
  • BigarchBigarch Herrin, IL 531Members Posts: 531

Played the Lamkin Sonar midsize all year and they exceeded my expectations. I regrip everything each winter and will be using them again in 2020.

Posted:
    • Driver - Taylormade M1 10.5* Pro Comp 65
    • Fairway - Taylormade M4 16HL* Fujikura Atmos Red
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
    • 4-PW- Cleveland TA7 FST 90 Shafts with Sensicores
    • Wedges - 50, 56 bent to 55, 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Cleveland Classic Huntington Beach #10 - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Sonar Midsize
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey  6070Members Posts: 6,070

@edweather said:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Here in SE Georgia the humidity and sweat might make the CP2s a bit slippery.

Check out the new Micro Suede Tour Wrap from Golf Pride. The new texture they’ve added to the grip gives it much better moisture control than the CP2s, but it still has a softer feel. The midsize in the Micro Suede feels slightly smaller than normal midsize grips, though.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7835Members Posts: 7,835

Always been a GP player till I tried Lamkin Sonar Tours. Going to try Sonar wraps next since I want to try Midsize.

Posted:
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60*
    Heel shafted blade
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • ThinneditThinnedit  37Members Posts: 37

I play Lamkin Crossline midsize with 4 wraps+4 wraps lower hand to take the taper out.
    I don't have massive hands but regular grips feel too thin. Oversize grips feel too spongy and bulky. These feel just right.

Dont forget to take note of the core diameter on grips compared to shaft diameter. .58 code grip on a .60 shaft will equal midsize.

Posted:
    Epic flash 3wd • Ping rapture j-spec 5-P
    Bullseye original • MD4 50⁰ 54⁰ PM19 58⁰
    Hyperlite Zero • Chrome soft • ERC soft

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file