Bettinardi PVD finish flaking off? ***RESOLUTION***

dxdgenert

What do you guys see here?

ai4rn3759ofr.jpg

To me, it appears that the black PVD(?) is flaking off. I've had the putter for a year and this just started developing. I'm in contact with @BettinardiGolf but they are initially saying this is normal for carbon steel putters. I, personally, have never seen this.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

> @bubbagump said:

> I had a little of that happen with a queen b I had.

Did you send it back, how was it handled?

Nah I just played with it, and eventually traded it. The putter was still in excellent condition but just a few places started to develop spots like that though not as big, almost like peeling or something. Id imagine that those color finishes likely could be prone to that happening, but doesnt make it less annoying.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

It’s only an annoyance because it is visible at address. It takes my focus off of the sight line. If it was just a “smooth” rainbow transition, I’d be fine. The jagged edge and spots are getting to me, however. I have half a mind to just Sharpie over it. I love the putter, otherwise.

> @ckay said:

> PVD shouldn't flake off.

I wouldn't/didn't think so, either. However, NorCal putters has been DM'ing me via Instagram and it can when applied to carbon steel without a plating underneath. It sounds like the carbon steel is soft enough that any "stress" (dings or moisture) can cause this. My concern is that my putter shouldn't have been subjected to either of those. I always use a cover and wipe it down with a small Club Glove pocket towel after every use. Oh well, I **love** the putter and will deal with the minor distraction. If this is going to be my Billy Baroo, something far worse is bound to happen. Tools not jewels, right?

I dare pointed out the 'fragility' of this finish once and, boy, did I pay for it. It was utter blasphemy! I have yet to see one from that era that didn't have this problem. Thing is, it's a super cool finish and those putters looked amazing, the finish just didn't hold up.

WITB 2/3/16:
Driver - Golf club
3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
Irons - More Golf clubs
Wedges - Knives
Putter - wrench

> @wrbush31 said:

> I dare pointed out the 'fragility' of this finish once and, boy, did I pay for it. It was utter blasphemy! I have yet to see one from that era that didn't have this problem. Thing is, it's a super cool finish and those putters looked amazing, the finish just didn't hold up.

PM me with details as I’d love to here how this is acceptable for a premium putter.

I think it looks kind of cool. But it’s not my putter, so hopefully you can get it sorted out and not let it affect your affection for it moving forward.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Absolutely, I could “touch it up”. Like I said earlier, if nothing else I’ll go at it with a Sharpie. I don’t know about most people but I feel that a Bettinardi should be held in the same regard as a production Scotty. For $300 retail, a finish shouldn’t be peeling away. There isn’t a single ding or mark on the putter, I baby my stuff. It seems like a defect. As such, I would have hoped they’d be more receptive. Also, if the other WRX’er is correct, this is a known issue. That’s all. Undoubtedly, I’m going to keep the putter as I’m putting as well as I am able with it.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Absolutely, I could “touch it up”. Like I said earlier, if nothing else I’ll go at it with a Sharpie. I don’t know about most people but I feel that a Bettinardi should be held in the same regard as a production Scotty. For $300 retail, a finish shouldn’t be peeling away. There isn’t a single ding or mark on the putter, I baby my stuff. It seems like a defect. As such, I would have hoped they’d be more receptive. Also, if the other WRX’er is correct, this is a known issue. That’s all. Undoubtedly, I’m going to keep the putter as I’m putting as well as I am able with it.

Known issue? I’m just saying it’s been discussed in forums before. Not like there’s press releases and engine recalls.

Keep digging around, you’ll find something on WRX.

WITB 2/3/16:
Driver - Golf club
3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
Irons - More Golf clubs
Wedges - Knives
Putter - wrench

> @dxdgenert said:

> Absolutely, I could “touch it up”. Like I said earlier, if nothing else I’ll go at it with a Sharpie. I don’t know about most people but I feel that a Bettinardi should be held in the same regard as a production Scotty. For $300 retail, a finish shouldn’t be peeling away. There isn’t a single ding or mark on the putter, I baby my stuff. It seems like a defect. As such, I would have hoped they’d be more receptive. Also, if the other WRX’er is correct, this is a known issue. That’s all. Undoubtedly, I’m going to keep the putter as I’m putting as well as I am able with it.

It sucks to see this, but for the most part any finish applied to a putter won't remain perfect over time. And to be fair since you mention Cameron, they've been raked over the coals for years about the fragility of their finishes. From gun blue to oil can to black pearl, all looked amazing from the beginning but eventually faded with use and exposure to the elements. It's unfortunate to see, but it's going to happen; even the best applied finishes will prove susceptible to wear over time.

I've always been very skeptical of finishes on clubs. I would agree that they should have been more receptive on the issue but not sure I would be expecting them to send a replacement. I think it should almost be expected when ordering these clubs with finishes. Look at the trendy black irons. I have yet to see a set that has been hit 20+ rounds that I would be happy with the finish. The faces look all look "bare/raw" after a couple practice sessions on sandy ranges. Just my 2 cents.

If it makes you feel better this happens to $1k plus putter finishes too. You likely didn’t cause it, it just happens with some putters although not all of them. I have had some discoloration in a spot that was never touched on a beautiful tp mills putter that was also rarely taken outside. I’ve had a Byron Morgan where the finish did actually flake in some spots on the face and sole. And some less costly putters that had some finish spots as well.

I would rather they weren’t there but it’s kind of the nature of the beast with a lot of finishes. It doesn’t mean the manufacturer put out a bad product, refinishing companies like BOS warn customers that this will happen with many of their finishes as well.

Hope you keep putting well with it and can embrace it. That’s about the best outcome under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Update for anyone that cares: Bettinardi has agreed that there is a warranty issue and will replace the putter with a new putter from the BB series. My problem and I emphasize, my, is that they didn’t offer a BB1F this year. Not sure what I’ll do as I’m firmly a “flow neck” player And my only option would be a BB1. I appreciate them standing behind their product but I might just play the putter that I love and let the finish age/flake as it will. I can always get it refinished later.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Update for anyone that cares: Bettinardi has agreed that there is a warranty issue and will replace the putter with a new putter from the BB series. My problem and I emphasize, my, is that they didn’t offer a BB1F this year. Not sure what I’ll do as I’m firmly a “flow neck” player And my only option would be a BB1. I appreciate them standing behind their product but I might just play the putter that I love and let the finish age/flake as it will. I can always get it refinished later.

Why don’t you ask them if you can pay the difference on a flow neck Queen Bee.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Update for anyone that cares: Bettinardi has agreed that there is a warranty issue and will replace the putter with a new putter from the BB series. My problem and I emphasize, my, is that they didn’t offer a BB1F this year. Not sure what I’ll do as I’m firmly a “flow neck” player And my only option would be a BB1. I appreciate them standing behind their product but I might just play the putter that I love and let the finish age/flake as it will. I can always get it refinished later.

This is better than my result. When I contacted them about my BB40 PVD finish coming off the said that the could not do anything for me because it was outside of the 2 year warranted period. Pretty disappointing since I am a big fan and own three of their putters.

> @Joelsim said:

> > @dxdgenert said:

> > Update for anyone that cares: Bettinardi has agreed that there is a warranty issue and will replace the putter with a new putter from the BB series. My problem and I emphasize, my, is that they didn’t offer a BB1F this year. Not sure what I’ll do as I’m firmly a “flow neck” player And my only option would be a BB1. I appreciate them standing behind their product but I might just play the putter that I love and let the finish age/flake as it will. I can always get it refinished later.

>

> Why don’t you ask them if you can pay the difference on a flow neck Queen Bee.

>

What model is that? I can’t find it. I see some wide body designs with a shaft that enters the head directly but not Anser style with a flow neck.

So, to be clear, they don’t have an Anser with a flow neck.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my update: Sent the putter back last week (Tuesday?) and just found out the they are reneging and will not replace the putter. Glad that my putter got to be shipped from Minnesota to Illinois round trip ?. By the time it gets back from its journey, it’ll have been gone for two weeks and traveled some bumpy miles. To say that I am disappointed in @BettinardiGolf would be an understatement. I really hope there isn’t any damage from transit.

> @dxdgenert said:

> Update to my update: Sent the putter back last week (Tuesday?) and just found out the they are reneging and will not replace the putter. Glad that my putter got to be shipped from Minnesota to Illinois round trip ?. By the time it gets back from its journey, it’ll have been gone for two weeks and traveled some bumpy miles. To say that I am disappointed in @BettinardiGolf would be an understatement. I really hope there isn’t any damage from transit.

That sucks, are you done with Bettinardi after this or still keeping your putter?

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

> @MattM97 said:

> > @dxdgenert said:

> > Update to my update: Sent the putter back last week (Tuesday?) and just found out the they are reneging and will not replace the putter. Glad that my putter got to be shipped from Minnesota to Illinois round trip ?. By the time it gets back from its journey, it’ll have been gone for two weeks and traveled some bumpy miles. To say that I am disappointed in @BettinardiGolf would be an understatement. I really hope there isn’t any damage from transit.

>

> That sucks, are you done with Bettinardi after this or still keeping your putter?

Just put a new Flatso Ultra grip on my “old” gamer, a SeeMore PTM1 ?.

I’m just shocked, to be honest. They were sent detailed photos (more than what I posted here), agreed there was a defect and agreed to warranty the putter (references by two different agents, five TOTAL times). Yet, here I am. Shocking.

I don’t know if I’m “done” with Bettinardi but I certainly don’t feel like I did when I heard Bob on a WRX podcast a year ago and bought this putter, the next day. His passion stirred something and I wanted to be a part of that. Now I’m just ?.

I’m a huge Bettinardi fan and this is disappointing to say the least. Once they agreed in the 1st place they should follow thru. If I’m reading correctly the agreement wasn’t to take a look at the putter. They had agreed to replace it and someone in a warehouse changed their mind? This is poor customer service all around. Did you reach out to the original person who agreed to replace it?

I have a putter for the same line and had the same issue but actually like the unique “wear” and assumed it came from fertilizer on the course. I’ve seen it on multiple finishes and different makers. No club finish will remain the same due to use and with the elements. I’m surprised they agreed in the 1st place but once they did they should have bit the bullet as agreed.

> @Dasenergi said:

> I’m a huge Bettinardi fan and this is disappointing to say the least. Once they agreed in the 1st place they should follow thru. If I’m reading correctly the agreement wasn’t to take a look at the putter. They had agreed to replace it and someone in a warehouse changed their mind? This is poor customer service all around. Did you reach out to the original person who agreed to replace it?

>

> I have a putter for the same line and had the same issue but actually like the unique “wear” and assumed it came from fertilizer on the course. I’ve seen it on multiple finishes and different makers. No club finish will remain the same due to use and almost with the elements. I’m surprised they agreed in the 1st place but once they did they should have bit the bullet as agreed.

Yes, I have correspondence of them saying it would be replaced under warranty five times by two different individuals. I did speak with the first point of contact and he wouldn’t budge. Said the putter was already on the way back to me (it was).

• Like 1