Apex 2 black or white

lanzador49

I thought I came across a discussion about the differences between the black and white silhouette Apex 2 by Hogan, but can't find the thread. If this is duplicative, I apologize.

Interested in the differences between the two styles. Is there any? I picked up a set of black at a shop blowing them out back in what had to be 1984 but they had these funky Apex shafts, not the red band ones, so I re-shafted them with the correct ones. What a nice grind! I put them away when I picked up some Spalding "Custom Made" but still have these lying around and was wondering about the color.

Thanks! I'll try to post a few photos of mine. Hit a rock with my 6-iron that took a nice chunk out of the leading edge, but they're in great shape otherwise.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No difference between the white and black cameos. Read somewhere that the black were one year only (1983). But don't take it as gospel. Perhaps they had the Vector shafts, rather than the more popular Apex. Vectors were reportedly not a favorite amongst the Hoganista's. Some judicious taping with a ball peen hammer may make the rock ding less egregious. Being forged, they're quite malleable.

My set of Apex II's came from a couple different sources. A mix of black and white cameos. Had Apex 4's, a Vector, a reshaft, mishmash. Shafted them with a set of Rifle FCM 5.5's that I had around. (Once I got done fooling around with shaft pins. GRRR!) Buffed the heads while they were apart. Paint filled all the cameos black as I preferred the "look". Aesthetically, a wonderful set of irons. Unique in a "they don't make them like they use to" sort of way. Take them out for a spin once in awhile for a vintage wood and blade round. But quite demanding of a good swing that's mostly beyond my skill set (no MOI in these). But a couple of times per outing, catch one just right, and experience that flushed shot with a forged blade feeling.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Looking at the photos I posted it looks like the pins are in, but they could have just filled them. What does it appear to be in your judgment just from those pictures?

The re-shafting was a bit of an issue because the initial tech who did it was really sloppy so they had to be redone by the boss at the shop. They were re-shafted in what had to have been around 1990. I played these irons with the old shafts for a couple of years from about 1984. then played a really sweet set of Custom Spalding Forged Top Flites for a while. I kept going back and forth and I should have reshafted with the Apex (4) long before. I never really played the Hogans with the new shafts...and you can see from the ferrules that they're still in new condition - the Apex bands are like new, too...no in and out of the bag. But then by the mid-1990's, I started playing some 845's but hated the offset and ended up with some Mizuno T-Zoid. So, that's pretty much the saga of these...I was the first and only purchaser and with the exception of that blemish on the 6-iron, I kept really good care of them.

I got the Spaldings from a client who owned a Nevada Bob's who would frequently feed me with wedges and putters (and balls, and drivers, and bags, and shoes...I did good work for him!). He did a lot of deals with Japanese clients who were buying everything in sight that was classic - like '69 Staffs, which was a hot commodity. Once he took in a trade that was a full set of Dunlop Australian Blades, 1 - PW, in perfect condition. He ended up selling those to a collector in Japan for a hefty sum. He had all sorts of great old persimmon woods, too, and I still have some lying around.

Then there was this store, WALTER KELLER'S on Westwood Blvd near Pico in Los Angeles. The store was HUGE, and they had an inventory of classic and collectible irons and woods that was like a museum. This was in the 1980's, when the market was gangbusters for classic clubs. So, I was rummaging around there one day and came across a 1-iron for this set that they were selling for a really high price if I recall, and wouldn't give me a break on it so I didn't get it.

@lanzador49. Inclination is to say those are metallic pins inserted. Whether they're stubs or one piece is impossible to determine. Conceivable that a club builder, performing a reshaft in 1990, would still install hosel pins.

The other thing that struck me. The ferrules appear more current (i.e. 2000 style as used on the Apex MB and Apex Plus). Although I'm no authority on dating ferrules (LOL). They're the same as I used on my Apex II's from a couple of years ago. Impossible to find any that resembled the originals. Used a long ferrule with the double red rings as yours.

The 6 iron rock ding could be improved upon with a bit of "cold smithing" IMHO. The gentle tapping of the metal back into shape with a ball peen that I posted about earlier. Just tap the steel back into position. A touch of light filing to finish. Had a Hogan SW with two bad rock dings. Barely can tell they were there after a bit of refurb. Of course, there's two ways to look at it. They're "character marks" acquired by usage. Or they're ugly. If I think I can improve the condition, likely will give it a try. Just because I don't like ugly.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well I call the rock dings character---- Now I will take a file and file them down----- Also IMHO the dings says "player" as in I do not take drops as if someone bagging a set of Cameos is not already a player! Had a pieced together set of the black and white ones even had different shafts amongst them. Played them for a time for the heck of it. My Buddy Bear wanted them so I gave them to him and with some of the piece of sets he had made him a set. He did paint all his Cameos black said he liked that.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Character....that's the ticket!! It broke my heart when I did it, but like I say, it was the first time I really struck the ball properly and had it compress and do what I wanted. Kinda like the scene in "The Natural" when Roy Hobbes comes to bat with "wonderboy" and the bat splinters in half as he hits the ball foul. A mark of distinction! Fortunately, it didn't affect the club at all...and remains a fond reminder of that first time...

Now there are big car lots where that driving range used to be off the 101 in Calabasas. I also remember hitting a persimmon 3-wood at that range and the head broke off and flew pretty far....