Went completely Spikeless

mvhoffman

Started wearing Puma spikeless the beginning of last season and fell in love with not having to worry about changing spikes and having lighter shoes. Going all last year in Pennsylvania where it was either monsoon season (wettest year on record) or 100* with 100% humidity, or cold as balls, no matter the condition I did not have a slip or anything. I purchased an additional pair of Adidas spikeless towards the end of the year and wore those a few times (1st hole in 1 the second time I wore them) and the trend continued with comfort and functionality. Fast forwarding to this year I have purchased 2 more pair of Adidas totaling 4 pair spikeless and donated my 2 pair of spiked FJ to my little brother. I was slow to really trust the spikeless movement, but once I did I realized how much more comfortable they are.

This thread really has nothing of importance, just sharing my happiness with the discovery of spikeless golf shoes.

Anyone else ditch the spikes?

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I was nursing a Morton’s neuroma in my right foot and when I was able to play again I wore the Ashworth spikeless. Helped relieve some of the pain but in the long run it didn’t have the same support in the ankles as regular golf shoes. It served my purpose but I went back to traditional shoes when I could. I didn’t have any issues with the spikeless part, it was the flimsier sides. Maybe other brands or styles are better?

Bought my first set of spikeless golf shoes about a month ago. They are great for the most part, but I have had my foot slip 3 times, twice in light rough and once on a sandy tee box. Can't recall ever slipping with spikes.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @golfandfishing said:

> A few years ago I was nursing a Morton’s neuroma in my right foot and when I was able to play again I wore the Ashworth spikeless. Helped relieve some of the pain but in the long run it didn’t have the same support in the ankles as regular golf shoes. It served my purpose but I went back to traditional shoes when I could. I didn’t have any issues with the spikeless part, it was the flimsier sides. Maybe other brands or styles are better?

For me that's been the challenge for years. My feet are in much better shape after 2-3 days in a row of golf if I play in something fairly lightweight and spikeless. But so many of the spikeless shoes now are either "minimalist" designs or they're just flimsy deck-shoe derived soft things with absolutely zero support.

My feet have been happy this past year or so alternating two pairs of Ecco Cage Pros. Not the lightest weight thing out there but totally waterproof and (since my feet are basically Ecco-shaped narrow heel, wide toe, tall midfoot) they are very supportive.

I still have a pair of spiked shoes, but very rarely use them. I play early, and there is usually a lot of dew, but I have never had an issue with the spikeless shoes. We have a young guy at our club that is at the Korn Ferry Q school, and he wears FootJoy Pro Sl. If they are good enough for a guy trying to earn a living, they are plenty good enough for me.

I think that you should look at Adidas. I have switched to them completely because of their "deep" fit. I feel like my foot actually goes in the shoe and it is very secure when tied. I am not a fan of the minimalist design of most these days either. Adidas has a great selection. I prefer the old school look... $37 bucks and they actually last and are SUPER comfortable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-Mens-adicross-Classic-Spikeless-Golf-Shoe-Brand-New/382757256598?hash=item591e1c3d96:m:mZKZW66Oo-3tIVzJJxpALIw

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @caniac6 said:

> I still have a pair of spiked shoes, but very rarely use them. I play early, and there is usually a lot of dew, but I have never had an issue with the spikeless shoes. We have a young guy at our club that is at the Korn Ferry Q school, and he wears FootJoy Pro Sl. If they are good enough for a guy trying to earn a living, they are plenty good enough for me.

I kept my last/newest pair of Adidas Adipower Boost with softspikes when I got my Ecco Cage Pro spikeless. My intent was to use them on muddy days since they had about 100 rounds of wear on them anyway. But I've worn them twice and both times after about 10-12 holes I was totally wishing I had on the Eccos.

I think it will have to be a Biblical plague of mud before I pull them out of the washroom and wear them again!

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @golfandfishing said:

> > A few years ago I was nursing a Morton’s neuroma in my right foot and when I was able to play again I wore the Ashworth spikeless. Helped relieve some of the pain but in the long run it didn’t have the same support in the ankles as regular golf shoes. It served my purpose but I went back to traditional shoes when I could. I didn’t have any issues with the spikeless part, it was the flimsier sides. Maybe other brands or styles are better?

>

> For me that's been the challenge for years. My feet are in much better shape after 2-3 days in a row of golf if I play in something fairly lightweight and spikeless. But so many of the spikeless shoes now are either "minimalist" designs or they're just flimsy deck-shoe derived soft things with absolutely zero support.

>

> My feet have been happy this past year or so alternating two pairs of Ecco Cage Pros. Not the lightest weight thing out there but totally waterproof and (since my feet are basically Ecco-shaped narrow heel, wide toe, tall midfoot) they are very supportive.

I think that you should look at Adidas. I have switched to them completely because of their "deep" fit. I feel like my foot actually goes in the shoe and it is very secure when tied. I am not a fan of the minimalist design of most these days either. Adidas has a great selection. I prefer the old school look... $37 bucks and they actually last and are SUPER comfortable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-Mens-adicross-Classic-Spikeless-Golf-Shoe-Brand-New/382757256598?hash=item591e1c3d96:m:mZKZW66Oo-3tIVzJJxpALIw

I always ignored the spikeless shoes (Fred Couples and those Ecco's) but then I discovered True Linkswear in spring 2018, tried one of their knits...and now own 3 pairs in different colors. I also have the Adidas Adipure because I like the sneaker style, but I mostly have them for wetter days when the knit will get overpowered. I keep a 3yo pair of Adidas 360s on standby for days it's consistently raining or soggy.

I personally really like having the running shoe feeling and just generally not feeling bulk. For my feet, these lighter shoes are more comfortable.

I have not experienced slippage issues nor any change in distances.

The 2019 Adidas Boost XT SL is the shoe for those of you (like me) that feel many spikeless shoes aren’t stable. These FEEL like a regular Boost shoe without the weight of the spiked bottom. Great grip and still a semi-traditional look in a lightweight, spikeless design. I think this shoe’s only competition are the Ecco SL golf shoes (which I’ve owned three pairs over the years).

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I bought my first pair of spikeless shoes (Dexters) in 1999. I never had a problem slipping in them. I bought several pairs of spikeless shoes since and they also served me well (different brands). Fast forward a few years and FootJoy came out with the FJ Sport Spikeless shoe. I bought a pair and then bought 3 more pair when I saw then trend in spikeless was moving to the styles you find today (which I cannot stand). I still have 1 pair of those still in the box.

I have lots of shoes with soft spikes which I wear most of the time these days. The majority of them are Dryjoy Tour because I like the style. If someone made a more traditional looking spikeless shoe today, I would probably buy them. But, I really have never had a problem playing in spikeless shoes.

> @Lycokayaker said:

> thanks for the insight been debating switching over to spikeless.........

if you are a little hesitant of switching completely over there are great "combo" options out there as in the Footjoy freestyle. a "spikeless" type sole but still with a few spikes.

I just jumped in with it, but I understand that it may not be for everyone.

Thanks man.... I have been hesitant to pull the trigger. Golf is not a cheap game by any stretch and don't want to "waste" my money on something that may not work... Maybe I need to have a couple glasses of scotch or whiskey tonight to help spur me to make a move... lol

> @mvhoffman said:

> > @Lycokayaker said:

> > thanks for the insight been debating switching over to spikeless.........

>

> if you are a little hesitant of switching completely over there are great "combo" options out there as in the Footjoy freestyle. a "spikeless" type sole but still with a few spikes.

>

> I just jumped in with it, but I understand that it may not be for everyone.

I know I am getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators. ~Gerald Ford

Started with Nike Lunarlon spikeless shoes about 4 years ago, and since then I've played a total of 1 round with spikes (just to try out a pair of shoes my dad was offering me). Also have a cheap pair of Boombah spikeless shoes for super wet days (don't care if they get covered in mud and still perform very well), and this year added some Adidas Crossknit Boosts to the rotation.

Spikes are for dinosaurs. Spikeless shoes nowadays have 2-3 times as many contact points with the ground compared to spiked shoes, it's inarguable that they grip better because they create more friction. The myth of "slipping" was from early iterations of spikeless shoes that had crappy rounded nubs, before OEMs realized everything needed to be squared off to create traction properly. Anyone that has slipped in a pair made in the last 5 years has done so because either a) they're testing it out, had the myth in the back of their mind, and got in their head and messed up or b) it was a bad swing and they would've slipped no matter what was on their feet.

I picked up a set of cheap spikeless Nike shoes one weekend when I had left my Tour 360's at my parents house. This was 2 years ago. I now have 2 sets of spikeless shoes and I can't remember the last time I played with my 360's, I really do prefer the spikeless now and almost didn't even realize switching to them full time. I have had my foot slip, but on the few times it has it was going to be a horrible swing anyways. We had an extremely wet year compared to normal and I never had any slipping issues.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I have a pair of spiked and spikeless shoes. I like both. The convenience of spikeless cannot be beat. I prefer the traction of spiked. I kinda depends on if I am walking or riding.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 1 month later...