Scotland Trip Itinerary, Reviews and Pictures

gaffs

Hi

I have some vacation days to burn so have decided to make my way to Scotland for a few days of solo golf next month.

My flights and rounds at Carnoustie and Durnoch are booked, but I have a few gaps in my itinerary. I would appreciate any help or recommendations. Although its October, i would like to see if there are any days where i can play two rounds in a day, esp at two neighboring courses.

Sat 12th Oct - Kingsbarns at 13.00

Sun 13th Oct - Carnoustie at 11.50.

Monday 14th Oct - Singles line for the Old Course.

Tuesday 15th - Royal Aberdeen 8.00 / Cruden Bay 14.00

Wednesday 16th - Castle Stuart 8.40 / Nairn 14.40

Thursday 17th - Royal Dornoch in the AM and fly from Inverness to Manchester to see family in the evening.

Thanks

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

> @gaffs said:

> Hi

> I have some vacation days to burn so have decided to make my way to Scotland for a few days of solo golf next month.

> My flights and rounds at Carnoustie and Durnoch are booked, but i have a few gaps in my itinerary. I would appreciate any help or recommendations. Although its October, i would like to see if there are any days where i can play two rounds in a day, esp at two neighboring courses.

>

> Sat 12th Oct - Land at EDI at 8am. Need a round in the afternoon.

> Sun 13th Oct - Carnoustie.

> Monday 14th Oct - Singles line for the Old Course.

> Tuesday 15th - Open

> Wednesday 16th - Open

> Thursday 17th - Royal Dornoch in the AM and fly from Inverness to Manchester to see family.

>

> Thanks

Where are you staying? If in St Andrews, you can check into your lodging on Saturday, get lunch, and then walk out to the Links clubhouse and play either the New or the Jubilee course. I have never been so tired on a golf course as when I did just this a few years ago, but it got me through the potential jet-lag of the first day. Choices for Tursday/Wednesday could include Lundin Links, Leven, Elie, Crail, Kingsbarns, Panmure, the Castle Course, the two courses at the Fairmont. Or you could go to Dornoch a day or two earlier, and play at Tain, or Brora, or get in two rounds at Royal Dornoch (worth it to me). You could play inland at Boat of Garten on your way to Dornoch. So many choices, and none of them bad.

would try to find the website - or a website/forum - where guys try to pair up for the daily lottery, which requires twosomes ... you're solo, but it's another shot at TOC ... if you're making your way to dornoch by car, you could go to aberdeen on Tuesday and then to Cruden on Wednesday ... could do a 2nd round on Monday if you play early, at the new course, crail, or elie ... could do a 2nd round on sunday at panmure or at carnoustie's other course, though you'll be getting up early for toc single's line ... if you go up the coast to aberdeen, you could actually do aberdeen and cruden bay, or pair one of them with the trump course, or several others ... agree with dave - if you want a double, make it dornoch, though you'd have to move that to wed ... day of landing, just go straight to st andrews and play a course there ...

> @davep043 said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > Hi

> > I have some vacation days to burn so have decided to make my way to Scotland for a few days of solo golf next month.

> > My flights and rounds at Carnoustie and Durnoch are booked, but i have a few gaps in my itinerary. I would appreciate any help or recommendations. Although its October, i would like to see if there are any days where i can play two rounds in a day, esp at two neighboring courses.

> >

> > Sat 12th Oct - Land at EDI at 8am. Need a round in the afternoon.

> > Sun 13th Oct - Carnoustie.

> > Monday 14th Oct - Singles line for the Old Course.

> > Tuesday 15th - Open

> > Wednesday 16th - Open

> > Thursday 17th - Royal Dornoch in the AM and fly from Inverness to Manchester to see family.

> >

> > Thanks

>

> Where are you staying? If in St Andrews, you can check into your lodging on Saturday, get lunch, and then walk out to the Links clubhouse and play either the New or the Jubilee course. I have never been so tired on a golf course as when I did just this a few years ago, but it got me through the potential jet-lag of the first day. Choices for Tursday/Wednesday could include Lundin Links, Leven, Elie, Crail, Kingsbarns, Panmure, the Castle Course, the two courses at the Fairmont. Or you could go to Dornoch a day or two earlier, and play at Tain, or Brora, or get in two rounds at Royal Dornoch (worth it to me). You could play inland at Boat of Garten on your way to Dornoch. So many choices, and none of them bad.

Thanks for your recommendations. Looking to stay in St Andrews for first two nights, checking out the hotel Monday and aiming to play the Old Course that day.

Can you normally walk on the New or the Jubilee course on a Saturday afternoon?

Thanks

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

The New is often not a problem to get on and I will say that it impressed me a great deal earlier this year. Check your date with the Links Trust website. That said, I am always going to say shoot first for Elie. You are practically driving past the course on your way from the airport and the Links Trust courses can be played if TOC doesn't come through. If Elie and New don't work, you could always try Eden or maybe even Crail. In some ways, these shorter courses may be better choices when getting off the plane.

Ciao

Even though you will probably find a way to get on The Old Course on Wednesday, I'd still play one of their courses Saturday just in case and because they are great. Lots of love for Jubilee (I haven't played it but will someday) and The New - I have played it and really enjoyed it and couldn't keep my eyes (and once my ball, lol) off The Old Course the whole way around. No idea where you are flying out of or what shape you'll be in when you arrive. No idea where you are staying after you leave St. Andrews so hard to advise. If you are driving all the way to Dornoch, it's a pretty good hike. I second any recommendation to get up there and include Brora - leaving The Old Course out of the equation, Brora is my favorite of all the courses I've been able to play so far, but Royal Dornoch is right there as well as co-favorite and I love them each for different reasons. Logistically, you can probably figure out how to play 36 on different courses, but daylight will be short and you could be pushing it depending on your course choices and again who knows how you'll feel and whether that's the pace that will provide the most enjoyment. This may not fit with your idea of a trip, but IMO skip the 36 holes and take in some history and sights in and around St. Andrews and take in some history and sights on the way to Dornoch (if that is your destination). But some folks enjoy just golf and getting to the next round of golf and I totally get that, but for me that's just not how I've wanted to arrange my time the two times I've now been fortunate enough to visit. Food and good drinks enjoyed in great places go without saying, but there I said it.

If you are leaving St Andrews after a game on Monday it might be an idea to make a beeline toward Dornoch via A90/M90. Boat of Garten is not too far south of Inverness. Its not a bad town and you are sitting pretty to play the very cool Boat of Garten. Its sort of a mountain heathland course. Its a quick shot up to Dornoch from there where Brora can be played the day before Dornoch. Don't stay in Brora. Dornoch isn't great, but it is much better than Brora. If you want a bit more golf on the day you drive up from Boat, try Tarbat, a neat little 9 holer.

Ciao

> @Shrinkwr4p said:

> Royal Aberdeen and Murcar Links are adjacent. The 11th tee at RA sits next to Murcar's 3rd green and Murcar's 4th tee is on RA property. If you play in Aberdeen on the Tuesday you could take in Cruden Bay or maybe Moray Old the following day as you travel north to Dornoch

10th tee.

It is still 4 hours from Aberdeen to Dornoch but Royal Aberdeen is awesome though, Cruden Bay is fun and not at all a fan of Murcar.

Just finished my last full summer round at Royal Aberdeen. Feels weird that everything is so soft this year after last year being so hard, having said that the Old Course was much harder than Royal Aberdeen this week.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I'm guessing the OP is even more confused now than he was before posting. There are many choices, and almost every one is good, it will just get down to personal preferences. Do you want more driving, or less? More locations (and more packing/unpacking) or fewer? More expensive courses, more famous courses, more local-oriented courses? Whatever you choose, you won't be wrong.

As a single, you can probably be more flexible. If the weather tomorrow looks nasty, you might choose to make tomorrow a travel day. If you meet someone who is a member at another course, maybe you get an invitation to join him, do it if you can.

BTW, did anyone mention to be sure to have your proof of handicap with you? Every time I've played the Old Course, the starter has checked.

> @"El Gringo" said:

> If you are leaving St Andrews after a game on Monday it might be an idea to make a beeline toward Dornoch via A90/M90. Boat of Garten is not too far south of Inverness. Its not a bad town and you are sitting pretty to play the very cool Boat of Garten. Its sort of a mountain heathland course. Its a quick shot up to Dornoch from there where Brora can be played the day before Dornoch. Don't stay in Brora. Dornoch isn't great, but it is much better than Brora. If you want a bit more golf on the day you drive up from Boat, try Tarbat, a neat little 9 holer.

>

> Ciao

Have to dissent on this one. Dornoch is a fantastic place to stay, with some nice options for lodging and great options for dining and just about the best whisky bar in Scotland.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @"El Gringo" said:

> > If you are leaving St Andrews after a game on Monday it might be an idea to make a beeline toward Dornoch via A90/M90. Boat of Garten is not too far south of Inverness. Its not a bad town and you are sitting pretty to play the very cool Boat of Garten. Its sort of a mountain heathland course. Its a quick shot up to Dornoch from there where Brora can be played the day before Dornoch. Don't stay in Brora. Dornoch isn't great, but it is much better than Brora. If you want a bit more golf on the day you drive up from Boat, try Tarbat, a neat little 9 holer.

> >

> > Ciao

>

> Have to dissent on this one. Dornoch is a fantastic place to stay, with some nice options for lodging and great options for dining and just about the best whisky bar in Scotland.

I agree with this, I enjoyed my few days in Dornoch. A couple of decent hotels, a few B&Bs, and plenty of pubs and restaurants for a short stay. And outstanding golf!

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

I had been thinking to go from St Andrews to Cruden Bay, but not sure the drive is worth it, when I can go straight to Dornoch area.

Thoughts?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

If you need a place to stay in Dornoch ahead of your Thursday round, I'd recommend the following. Lovely proprietor, who fixed me a packed breakfast of two ham and cheese sandwiches and fruit, since I was teeing off at 7am, ahead of their breakfast hours.

You can find the place on all the typical booking sites, but she said to ring in for lower than advertised rates. Ample parking and an easy walk down the High Street for restaurants and pubs.

The Old Manse

Sutherland road Dornoch, Dornoch, IV25 3SX, United Kingdom

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @davep043 said:

> I'm guessing the OP is even more confused now than he was before posting. There are many choices, and almost every one is good, it will just get down to personal preferences. Do you want more driving, or less? More locations (and more packing/unpacking) or fewer? More expensive courses, more famous courses, more local-oriented courses? Whatever you choose, you won't be wrong.

> As a single, you can probably be more flexible. If the weather tomorrow looks nasty, you might choose to make tomorrow a travel day. If you meet someone who is a member at another course, maybe you get an invitation to join him, do it if you can.

> BTW, did anyone mention to be sure to have your proof of handicap with you? Every time I've played the Old Course, the starter has checked.

Thanks. Im US based. Will they take the GHIN app?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @gaffs said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > I'm guessing the OP is even more confused now than he was before posting. There are many choices, and almost every one is good, it will just get down to personal preferences. Do you want more driving, or less? More locations (and more packing/unpacking) or fewer? More expensive courses, more famous courses, more local-oriented courses? Whatever you choose, you won't be wrong.

> > As a single, you can probably be more flexible. If the weather tomorrow looks nasty, you might choose to make tomorrow a travel day. If you meet someone who is a member at another course, maybe you get an invitation to join him, do it if you can.

> > BTW, did anyone mention to be sure to have your proof of handicap with you? Every time I've played the Old Course, the starter has checked.

>

> Thanks. Im US based. Will they take the GHIN app?

Yes. Just take a screenshot of your most recent 'card' from the app on your phone and if they ask to see it you're set.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @gaffs said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > BTW, did anyone mention to be sure to have your proof of handicap with you? Every time I've played the Old Course, the starter has checked.

>

> Thanks. Im US based. Will they take the GHIN app?

If you use the web-based GHIN site, you can print a hard copy of your card. I'm old, I always prefer hard copies, with a backup on my phone if needed.

I never got asked on Saturday, I was down with the St Andrews Uni golf team though.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @gaffs said:

> Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

>

> I had been thinking to go from St Andrews to Cruden Bay, but not sure the drive is worth it, when I can go straight to Dornoch area.

>

> Thoughts?

there are plenty of courses in the dornoch area ... not as well known/highly ranked as aberdeen/cruden/trump ... heck, castle stuart is a fine course near dornoch ... just depends on if you want less well known courses or more well known courses ranked higher (for a reason) ... as we've all said, there is no "wrong" ... if it were me, i'd play gullane and berwick the first 2 days, go to andrews, then carnoustie, then another course or two before dornoch ... but that's me ...

edit: why do my posts need approval?

> @gaffs said:

> Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

>

> I had been thinking to go from St Andrews to Cruden Bay, but not sure the drive is worth it, when I can go straight to Dornoch area.

>

> Thoughts?

It would add more driving than you may estimate, but only you know if it is worth it. We wound our way through Cairngorms on the way from Dornoch to St. Andrews via Balmoral and Glamis castles, saw some stunning scenery, heck of a long day but worth it. There are so many good courses in the Dornoch and Inverness area you can't go wrong. But if Cruden Bay or that area is a particular attraction for you then go there. Choices are tough, just depends on how you want to spend your time.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

> >

> > I had been thinking to go from St Andrews to Cruden Bay, but not sure the drive is worth it, when I can go straight to Dornoch area.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> It would add more driving than you may estimate, but only you know if it is worth it. We wound our way through Cairngorms on the way from Dornoch to St. Andrews via Balmoral and Glamis castles, saw some stunning scenery, heck of a long day but worth it. There are so many good courses in the Dornoch and Inverness area you can't go wrong. But if Cruden Bay or that area is a particular attraction for you then go there. Choices are tough, just depends on how you want to spend your time.

Agreed. At some point the question becomes - so personal preferences eh? And the answer is yes, yes indeed ;-)

If your week-or-less trip includes TOC, Carnoustie, and Dornoch, that's 3 heavy hitters already and however else you fill it out Gaffs is going to leave you with a fantastic trip.

IMHO Royal Aberdeen is the 'big name' to add and Elie has the most pixie dust sprinkled on it, but that's just me and if you played neither of those you're going to end up somewhere else fun and engaging anyways. So if you have a hankering to play somewhere play it, whether that be Cruden Bay or somewhere else.

F.T.

If it was me I would stop off at Crail on the way from EDI up to Fife. Then after your Old Course day I would drive up the coast to Cruden Bay or Fraserburgh then along to Nairn and/or Boat of Garten before going to Dornoch which I think is a lovely little town with a lot of history as well as its cathedral and old stone buildings. And IMHO RD is a far better course than Brora.

You guys are all awesome. Decided to take a 9.10 tee time at Cruden Bay. Watching the No Laying Up Tourist Sauce video sold me on the place. Plus, its reasonably priced compared to another circa £200 round.

What do ppl think of Cullen Links?

Still got a few other gaps in the plan.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @tiderider said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

> >

> > I had been thinking to go from St Andrews to Cruden Bay, but not sure the drive is worth it, when I can go straight to Dornoch area.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> there are plenty of courses in the dornoch area ... not as well known/highly ranked as aberdeen/cruden/trump ... heck, castle stuart is a fine course near dornoch ... just depends on if you want less well known courses or more well known courses ranked higher (for a reason) ... as we've all said, there is no "wrong" ... if it were me, i'd play gullane and berwick the first 2 days, go to andrews, then carnoustie, then another course or two before dornoch ... but that's me ...

>

> edit: why do my posts need approval?

Really want to play North Berwick but its members only on Saturday and they have no tee times on Sunday :-(

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @gaffs said:

> Really want to play North Berwick but its members only on Saturday and they have no tee times on Sunday :-(

The important thing to remember is that you CAN go back and play some of the courses you miss the first time around.

if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @gaffs said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

>

> I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

Easily. At 8am you will whip around RA to the point you could be at Cruden Bay before noon. You could easily move Cruden to 1pm and be under no pressure to get there in time. Even at 2pm that gives you 4 and bit hours of light, take a look at this sight for a good idea of daylight availability: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/Golf/

BTW I had an 8am time in May and got around in 2.5hrs and that was with pic taking and general gawking at how brilliant a course it is. Even d i c k ing about and say 3hrs, that's you in the car by 11:15 and without roadworks stepping into the CB proshop on the stroke of 12 noon :-)

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @gaffs said:

> > > @scott_Donald said:

> > > if you are playing Cruden Bay at 9 and the days getting shorter, then you might struggle to play somewhere else in the avo.

> >

> > I have just switched it so I play Royal Aberdeen at 8 and Cruden at 2. You think that gives me enough time?

>

> Easily. At 8am you will whip around RA to the point you could be at Cruden Bay before noon. You could easily move Cruden to 1pm and be under no pressure to get there in time. Even at 2pm that gives you 4 and bit hours of light, take a look at this sight for a good idea of daylight availability: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/Golf/

>

> BTW I had an 8am time in May and got around in 2.5hrs and that was with pic taking and general gawking at how brilliant a course it is. Even d i c k ing about and say 3hrs, that's you in the car by 11:15 and without roadworks stepping into the CB proshop on the stroke of 12 noon :-)

MIND BLOWN

Im from England but have lived in NYC and now NJ for the past 6 years. We do very well to get a round under 4.30.

What do ppl usually get round the Old Course in?

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.