2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Matte Golf Balls Fly Straighter?

Brenkj

I'm a pretty new golfer, so this may be a stupid question. I've always used golf balls with the typical shiny white cover. No particular brand - just what's on sale (usually Titleist or Vice). Recently, I bought a box of the Callaway Superhot balls in the matte finish: https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-balls/superhot/balls-2018-superhot-bold-red-15pk.html As the name suggests, the cover is matte - not shiny - and it doesn't feel as slick as the balls I'm used to. I've only used them a few times, but I could swear I hit them straighter than the traditional, shiny white golf balls - particularly with my driver. My theory is that the face of the driver "grips" the ball a little since the cover is not as slick, and this helps to reduce the amount of "bad" spin (i.e., slice) off the face of the driver. Does this make any sense at all? Has anyone seen any reviews or studies about whether there's any validity to this at all? Thanks.

It may flight straighter because it spins a little bit less. That may be fine for now but as you improve you will actually want more spin because these colored matte balls are trash for your short game. In most tests I've seen from various groups (MyGolf$py, Golf Digest) there's only a few hundred rpm difference between these "low spin" balls and top of the line urethane balls off the driver. However, huge differences in iron spin and also large differences in wedge and chipping/pitching spin. Golf is about control... and low spin means less control.

My advice is to get some lessons and not use a ball as a band aid. A good teacher and some practice, you can pretty much eliminate the slice completely and you can move on to playing a better ball.

> @Brenkj said:

> I'm a pretty new golfer, so this may be a stupid question. I've always used golf balls with the typical shiny white cover. No particular brand - just what's on sale (usually Titleist or Vice). Recently, I bought a box of the Callaway Superhot balls in the matte finish: https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-balls/superhot/balls-2018-superhot-bold-red-15pk.html As the name suggests, the cover is matte - not shiny - and it doesn't feel as slick as the balls I'm used to. I've only used them a few times, but I could swear I hit them straighter than the traditional, shiny white golf balls - particularly with my driver. My theory is that the face of the driver "grips" the ball a little since the cover is not as slick, and this helps to reduce the amount of "bad" spin (i.e., slice) off the face of the driver. Does this make any sense at all? Has anyone seen any reviews or studies about whether there's any validity to this at all? Thanks.

They are probably straighter due to being a distance ball with no greenside spin. You may also like a urethane ball which allows green side spin. After a few rounds, you'll never go back. You could have the best of both worlds with Maxfli Tour (Dick has them two for $50) or Duo Pro, which offers matte options.

As said above, supersoft/superhot balls that you mentioned are 2 piece distance balls. They compress pretty easily and don’t spin a ton; these balls are designed to go straight and high. The matte finish shouldn’t be a big factor, the non-matte supersoft and superhot are very straight as well.

I agree with the above poster about control being huge, and a urethane (tour level) ball will provide superior short game control because they spin helps them stop, both on short shots (pitches and chips) and in full shots into greens.

In contrast to what was said above, I think these balls are an excellent choice when first starting out. Yes, they can still be hit with a lot of curve, but are a bit easier to hit straight than a tour ball. Tour balls are designed with multiple layers so better players can really control flight and spin, and this is something you may not want at first. One, it may make shots go a bit more offline, and two, beginners typically don’t have the skill to make the ball do what they want. A third market consideration is price; a tour ball is usually north of 30 bucks a dozen, while these are 22 or under per dozen. Beginners frequently lose balls, and while a ProV1 or something would work fine for them, it gets costly if you lose 5-7 balls a round, which is common in beginners.

In either case, it may be worth looking at used balls. Lostgolfballs.com has an excellent selection of balls, both tour level and like the ones you mentioned. eBay also has large batches of virtually new balls for pennies on the dollar.

Summary: Pick a cheaper ball at first. The balls you mentioned are fine for beginners. Tour balls are costly, and have pros and cons. And consider buying used.

Good luck! And welcome to the best addiction on the planet!!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Thanks for the responses. Well, after using the matte Callaway ball for a few shots here and there yesterday, I used them exclusively for about 30 holes today (I played two balls for about 15 holes before calling it a day). I don't know enough about golf balls to say exactly why, but bottom line - I really like them. They do seem to fly straighter on drives and I didn't see any difference in driver distance. I'm also really liking them around the green. They seem to "grip" the green better, so I feel like I have more control on short chips and pitches. I also like them better for putting. Due to the softer feel and less slick cover, they don't seem to roll as fast. That took a little getting used to, but once I got used to it, I didn't have to "baby" my putts as much, and I sunk a few 10 - 15 footers that I don't normally make. I'm sure really good golfers do better with more traditional balls, but for me (usually a mid-80's guy), they seem to be a good option.

> @Brenkj said:

> Thanks for the responses. Well, after using the matte Callaway ball for a few shots here and there yesterday, I used them exclusively for about 30 holes today (I played two balls for about 15 holes before calling it a day). I don't know enough about golf balls to say exactly why, but bottom line - I really like them. They do seem to fly straighter on drives and I didn't see any difference in driver distance. I'm also really liking them around the green. They seem to "grip" the green better, so I feel like I have more control on short chips and pitches. I also like them better for putting. Due to the softer feel and less slick cover, they don't seem to roll as fast. That took a little getting used to, but once I got used to it, I didn't have to "baby" my putts as much, and I sunk a few 10 - 15 footers that I don't normally make. I'm sure really good golfers do better with more traditional balls, but for me (usually a mid-80's guy), they seem to be a good option.

It's all in your head.

> @Brenkj said:

> Thanks for the responses. Well, after using the matte Callaway ball for a few shots here and there yesterday, I used them exclusively for about 30 holes today (I played two balls for about 15 holes before calling it a day). I don't know enough about golf balls to say exactly why, but bottom line - I really like them. They do seem to fly straighter on drives and I didn't see any difference in driver distance. I'm also really liking them around the green. They seem to "grip" the green better, so I feel like I have more control on short chips and pitches. I also like them better for putting. Due to the softer feel and less slick cover, they don't seem to roll as fast. That took a little getting used to, but once I got used to it, I didn't have to "baby" my putts as much, and I sunk a few 10 - 15 footers that I don't normally make. I'm sure really good golfers do better with more traditional balls, but for me (usually a mid-80's guy), they seem to be a good option.

If it works for you keep using it. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Just enjoy the game however you can.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

That's what I think too. I do not care what the next golfer thinks about my equipment choices. I play Cally SS in matte green. They are easy to see in the rough, and your ball will never be mistaken. Also, Maxfli Softfli comes in matte colors, a little cheaper than Cally, just as good if you are just starting out. And DSG has deals on the Maxflis...

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

I'm a mid 80's shooter. I play the Maxfli Softfli in matte green. I like them alot. I also like the Callway Supersoft. I'd like to play the Callaways more often but with Dicks running sales on the Softfli 3 dozen for $30 I may never get to buy the Callways. I bought 6 dozen Softfli's the last time they went on sale. That should last me a few yrs. I'll probably stock up on more if they do that sale again.

I started using matte orange Titleist Velocity recently, and have played at least 3 rounds without losing one, which is quite an accomplishment.  Given I never played the Velocity in regular finish, I can't say if there is a difference, and you'd really have to try the Callaways in regular to determine if the matte performs differently, but I like the matte orange velocity and plan on sticking with it for now.  If I can't find them among fall leaves later this year, I might have to reconsider.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, jordan2240 said:

I started using matte orange Titleist Velocity recently, and have played at least 3 rounds without losing one, which is quite an accomplishment.  Given I never played the Velocity in regular finish, I can't say if there is a difference, and you'd really have to try the Callaways in regular to determine if the matte performs differently, but I like the matte orange velocity and plan on sticking with it for now.  If I can't find them among fall leaves later this year, I might have to reconsider.

I have a mix of matte and gloss orange but that seems to be my color. I think I prefer the matte finish, but I don't know there is a difference in performance.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

8 hours ago, lefthack said:

I have a mix of matte and gloss orange but that seems to be my color. I think I prefer the matte finish, but I don't know there is a difference in performance.

Maybe it's a lefty thing.  I picked up the matte orange when I was at Dick's looking for balls and wanting to try the Velocity, and they didn't have any in regular white, so thought I'd give them a try seeing as how I seem to love orange as a color anyway.  I love the way the matte finish eliminates the glare that can come off the ball in bright sun.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

Maybe it's a lefty thing.  I picked up the matte orange when I was at Dick's looking for balls and wanting to try the Velocity, and they didn't have any in regular white, so thought I'd give them a try seeing as how I seem to love orange as a color anyway.  I love the way the matte finish eliminates the glare that can come off the ball in bright sun.

When I restarted playing last fall I was losing a ton of balls, so I tried green first, then orange. I thought since the orange worked so well, maybe the red would work, too. 

Nope. I can't see them once they get past the horizon and I've lost a half dozen somewhere on the fairway. 🤣

The only red that has any chance is the Nitro Pulsar matte red because they almost glow. I still managed to lose them, but not as bad.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Because google ads work, I just ordered 3 dozen matte orange Inesis Soft 500's. Not that I need more balls considering I just ordered more of my usual. They looked ok on video, see how they work out.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Nope - I can tell you 100% that you can still slice or hook Matte balls OB no problem. trust me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, Andygolderson said:

Nope - I can tell you 100% that you can still slice or hook Matte balls OB no problem. trust me.

From the number of matte balls I see people find in the woods they must spin extremely well!

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

I was using Wilson duo soft optix for the past few years and recently switched to Callaway Supersoft matt colored balls. I used the shinny supersofts before switching to the Wilson ball for years. The Callaway's are just a tad firmer and give me about 7-10 more yards off my driver. They also seem to have a little less rollout on wedge shots. The Callaway's are also a little more responsive off my putter. Both balls were, however, very straight and seemed ideal for my slow swing speed (80 mph driver). We had very dirty air this summer in Colorado (California fire smoke). The darker colored balls (orange and red) were much more visible than white balls which just blended into the sky.

From an aerodynamics standpoint a matte finish will have less drag than a gloss finish, just as a dimpled ball has less drag than a non-dimpled ball. But the difference in the texture of a matte versus gloss finish is very slight, so the difference in drag will also be very slight. Where spin is concerned the same applies. For the matte finish to be significantly different the ball would have to feel like very fine sandpaper.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

1 hour ago, Londo said:

Matte golf ball's flight tends to get less predictable when they get wet/damp. In dry conditions its is negligible difference between matte and glossy- but the matte performs differently when wet, where as with glossy there is little to no drop off.

I know that the folks at mgs have said this but I haven't seen any actual data on it from them or anyone else.  Would be nice to see some numbers and description of testing processes supporting or contradicting the claim.

I think what you will find is that whatever ball you pick, the more you play it the more predictable it will become... FOR YOU!  

Low spin balls will definitely fly further than a high spin ball and, generally speaking, you'll find most low compression balls are two piece balls.  Generally, these don't have a urethane cover, which is what makes a ball grab a little better than your non-urethane balls.  

Of course, there are exceptions that exist in low spin and high spin balls, and two piece vs three piece balls.  

I was playing the Maxfli Tour for the last year or so and really enjoyed it in all aspects of the game; however, about midway through this summer I tried the new e12 Contact.  The Maxfli Tour is a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover, while the e12 is a 3 piece ball with an ionomer cover, so it will not stop on the greens as quickly as the Maxfli Tour.  However, because it is lower compression, in my case, it flies longer and straighter than the Maxfli.  In other words, there are trade-offs.  

I picked the ball based on this.  No matter how hard I try, I can't make the Maxfli Tour fly longer, however, I can adjust my landing spot on the green to make the e12 end up closer to the pin.  Consequently, I've been playing the e12 ever since I tried it.  Yes, it took a little time to adjust to it, but I think the results speak for themselves.  I'm shooting lower scores and that's what really matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

I know that the folks at mgs have said this but I haven't seen any actual data on it from them or anyone else.  Would be nice to see some numbers and description of testing processes supporting or contradicting the claim.

Agreed, I had heard this as well but I almost always play in the mornings and conditions are typically wet or damp. I have tried matte golf balls and from my experience I don't feel as though they perform as consistently in these conditions- however I am no pro and don't have raw data to back it up. I also don't love how they look at address either

I have been playing matte orange for a few weeks now and they clearly aren't straighter. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW