2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shortest set a golfer could win a PGA Tour Event with?

NonCompetitive1

I got thinking about the shortest set that would have a chance winning a PGA Tour Event. The golfer would be Woods.

In terms of Tiger - he would be at his peak as a player. The question is if Tiger Woods played perfect (or near perfect) golf for 4 rounds (which he did do during his career) then how many clubs would he need to win?

Let's say he plays with the big dog if he's playing his best golf. I'm thinking..

1 wood (driver)

5 iron

50 degree wedge

Putter

4 clubs and he gets the W playing perfect golf on the right course. Course dependant that 50 degree wedge may have to be a 9 iron or 8 iron.

Thoughts?

> @swancer said:

> I would think a combo like below may be realistic but still nearly impossible.

> 3 W, 6, 9, 52 & a putter

> Possibly 1 other club like a 60 or substituting the 6 for a 5 and 7.

I agree that he'd have to play near perfectly with 4 clubs, making most putts if not all. But he was so good in 2000 it's possible.> @"b.helts" said:

> Let’s say tiger hits his 7 iron 178 yards stock.

> He has 153 to a back left pin.

> Generic Tour Player Jim is better with a stock 9 iron than 2000 Tiger is with a 7 iron from there.

> No chance.

On an average day. Jim Furyk is far from your average player too. You are letting a lot of stuff cloud your judgement. In his prime Woods would knock it stiff from 153 with a 7 iron, if you think otherwise you are wrong because when I play well with a 4 club set I knock my 5 iron stiff from everywhere inside 170 yards. Woods 2000 is about 100 or even a thousand times better than I am with all my clubs.

> @HFHTX said:

> I’m thinking something like 6 clubs would get it done. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 54 degree and putter. You can’t convince me that vintage Tiger couldn’t cover all the distance gaps with draws and fades from each of those clubs.

Of course he could do it. And of course he could do it very well. But he couldn’t do it better than other guys, that are still really really good, and beat them if they are using 14 clubs on a regular basis.

• Like 1

> @"b.helts" said:

> > @HFHTX said:

> > I’m thinking something like 6 clubs would get it done. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 54 degree and putter. You can’t convince me that vintage Tiger couldn’t cover all the distance gaps with draws and fades from each of those clubs.

>

> Of course he could do it. And of course he could do it very well. But he couldn’t do it better than other guys, that are still really really good, and beat them if they are using 14 clubs on a regular basis.

We aren’t talking about regular. More like once if he played his career with 4. I’m sure it would have happened if he played 1999 through 2001 with just four. Personally anyway.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @"b.helts" said:

> > > @HFHTX said:

> > > I’m thinking something like 6 clubs would get it done. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 54 degree and putter. You can’t convince me that vintage Tiger couldn’t cover all the distance gaps with draws and fades from each of those clubs.

> >

> > Of course he could do it. And of course he could do it very well. But he couldn’t do it better than other guys, that are still really really good, and beat them if they are using 14 clubs on a regular basis.

>

> We aren’t talking about regular. More like once if he played his career with 4. I’m sure it would have happened if he played 1999 through 2001 with just four. Personally anyway.

OK. I hear you. Maybe one round. Maybe even two. But over 4 rounds? No way. Not with one iron and one wedge.

Agree with b.helts, 9-11 clubs if it's 2000 Tigger, maybe the odd numbered sets from my youth ... 3, 5, 7, 9

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @"b.helts" said:

> > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > > @"b.helts" said:

> > > > @HFHTX said:

> > > > I’m thinking something like 6 clubs would get it done. Driver, 4 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 54 degree and putter. You can’t convince me that vintage Tiger couldn’t cover all the distance gaps with draws and fades from each of those clubs.

> > >

> > > Of course he could do it. And of course he could do it very well. But he couldn’t do it better than other guys, that are still really really good, and beat them if they are using 14 clubs on a regular basis.

> >

> > We aren’t talking about regular. More like once if he played his career with 4. I’m sure it would have happened if he played 1999 through 2001 with just four. Personally anyway.

>

> OK. I hear you. Maybe one round. Maybe even two. But over 4 rounds? No way. Not with one iron and one wedge.

I'm not so sure. Tiger won the US Open by 15 in 2000. How many clubs could we take out of his bag that tournament and still get him to win? At a push I'm getting him down to 6, but seriously maybe even to 5 or even 4. If he chooses his own 4 clubs it gets easier for him, we don't know exactly which 4 clubs he was most comfortable with (he does). I'm certain he could have won that major with 6 clubs in 2000. Less and it gets harder. He hit one in the ocean on the 18th at the end of the second round, doubt he would have done that with a short set - he just got super aggressive as he was so dominant - so the buffer between him and the rest is probably even larger than it seems for that tournament.

Obviously this all sounds a little silly. But let's be real. Vintage Tiger could win a lot of club championships with 2 clubs let alone 4.

FYI. Don't care for Tiger much as a person. But he was one hell of a player. If we can ignore the person part and forgive him for all his misdemeanours (which I have) there becomes a great clarity as to how dominant he was in 2000. Scarily so. He was a machine..

As mentioned above the average player is really damn good. But Tiger was from another dimension at that time.

It's blocked two words out. Just for clarity the first one starts with h (ending with l) and the second one starts d and ends n. Otherwise it read badly.

Mini 2000 Ditka Tiger could win with a wire hangar and a chickpea ; )

TW won the Open in 2006 hitting driver once in 4 days. His iron play was insane, didn’t hit into any fw bunkers all week.

Hard to say what TW could do in his prime. 4 clubs? No. But If he actually practiced with 5 or 6, who knows.

Since we’re living in a fantasy world in this thread anyway, it’s all good. But Tiger doesn’t hit 7 iron on 6 on the green from the hay without a 7 iron. He doesn’t hole PW on 15 without a PW. So many examples. That week with the greens baked out how many greens does he hold when he has to hit 5 iron when his SW just isn’t long enough? 0?

It’s la la land to think otherwise.

• Like 1

> @"b.helts" said:

> Since we’re living in a fantasy world in this thread anyway, it’s all good. But Tiger doesn’t hit 7 iron on 6 on the green from the hay without a 7 iron. He doesn’t hole PW on 15 without a PW. So many examples. That week with the greens baked out how many greens does he hold when he has to hit 5 iron when his SW just isn’t long enough? 0?

>

> It’s la la land to think otherwise.

>

The thing is , he had 4 shots per round effectively considering he dunked the ball in the water RND 2 on 18. He can play four par 4's as par 5's if he really wants to for four rounds and is bound to get up and down anyway for par a lot in his prime resulting in the W by shots..

don't think you thought this through

;)

;)

> @bscinstnct said:

> Mini 2000 Ditka Tiger could win with a wire hangar and a chickpea ; )

>

> TW won the Open in 2006 hitting driver once in 4 days. His iron play was insane, didn’t hit into any fw bunkers all week.

>

> Hard to say what TW could do in his prime. 4 clubs? No. But If he actually practiced with 5 or 6, who knows.

>

>

I remember it. To be honest, didn't even think he hit anything but iron off the tee from memory. 4 clubs is a super push, but if his putter was hot all week I think it was doable.

The main issue is sort of clearer now and not as be an issue as b.helts thought. Woods won by 15 despite dunking in the ocean. Plenty of par 4's he would have 2 putted on. Even if he can't reach with a 4 club set and gets to 30 yards from the pin. He's just as likely to get up and down from 30 -50 yds in his prime as he is to 2 putt from 30 ft. That's what makes this so interesting. Think he would have nailed the US open field in 2000 with 4 clubs. It's a big call, but I'm willing to make it.

I'm going to try and win my club champ with 4 clubs, gotta few years to figure out how. If that's possible Woods winning a major with 4 is. Time will tell I guess. Since I'm not competitive 4 clubs is the perfect look for me :D

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> I got thinking about the shortest set that would have a chance winning a PGA Tour Event. The golfer would be Woods.

>

> In terms of Tiger - he would be at his peak as a player. The question is if Tiger Woods played perfect (or near perfect) golf for 4 rounds (which he did do during his career) then how many clubs would he need to win?

>

> Let's say he plays with the big dog if he's playing his best golf. I'm thinking..

>

> 1 wood (driver)

> 5 iron

> 50 degree wedge

> Putter

>

> 4 clubs and he gets the W playing perfect golf on the right course. Course dependant that 50 degree wedge may have to be a 9 iron or 8 iron.

>

> Thoughts?

lol no...

Helts knows what he is talking about so I’m not arguing. But prime Tiger probably could have won a few playing something like

3 wood

3,5,7,9,sw, putter.. but at that level he would be greatly handicapped. He would have to be really locked in with the putter, because he’s just not hitting as many close.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @dlygrisse said:

> Helts knows what he is talking about so I’m not arguing. But prime Tiger probably could have won a few playing something like

> 3 wood

> 3,5,7,9,sw, putter.. but at that level he would be greatly handicapped. He would have to be really locked in with the putter, because he’s just not hitting as many close.

Why do you think he needs the 3 iron or 7 iron? Don't you think he could hit the 3 wood 5 iron distance if he wanted? Or hit a super big 5 iron that far?

Same goes for the 7 iron, soft 5 iron?

Take those two clubs out, which in his prime he arguably didn't need and you are down to a 5 club set.

> @"b.helts" said:

> I love it! You do you NonCompetitive1!

>

> Maybe you’re right?

>

>

>

> Naaawww! (;

We will see I guess. Good debate still above, glad to see some serious posts as this is a serious (enough) thread. I think we are all in agreement if nothing else that 2000 Woods is the best golfer that ever played the game.

> @dlygrisse said:

> Helts knows what he is talking about so I’m not arguing. But prime Tiger probably could have won a few playing something like

> 3 wood

> 3,5,7,9,sw, putter.. but at that level he would be greatly handicapped. He would have to be really locked in with the putter, because he’s just not hitting as many close.

no... come on lets get real

> @lowheel said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > Helts knows what he is talking about so I’m not arguing. But prime Tiger probably could have won a few playing something like

> > 3 wood

> > 3,5,7,9,sw, putter.. but at that level he would be greatly handicapped. He would have to be really locked in with the putter, because he’s just not hitting as many close.

> no... come on lets get real

This is real. Prime Woods would beat you with 2 clubs most likely on every golf course.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > Helts knows what he is talking about so I’m not arguing. But prime Tiger probably could have won a few playing something like

> > > 3 wood

> > > 3,5,7,9,sw, putter.. but at that level he would be greatly handicapped. He would have to be really locked in with the putter, because he’s just not hitting as many close.

> > no... come on lets get real

>

> This is real.

ok ( insert chuck norris meme here)