2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Pro V1 Comparisons

iceman1118

Hi all.

I have been a long time user of the Pro V1X. However, with the 2019 models and the swap of characteristics, I was forced to switch to the Pro V1. Performance did not lie. Overall, the driver was pretty much the same, but I was spinning all irons (long and short) and wedges way too much and the ball would just drop out of the sky a good 10-20 yards short of my target. So this year I swapped to the Pro V1 and I really do not have any issues so to speak. However, every once in a while I suck a wedge back hard on a green. It happened yesterday on an 85 yard approach shot, pulled out my 58, hit the green and just rolled back like there was no tomorrow. Pretty miserable when you put it pin high based on pitch mark and you end up sucking it back 15 feet. (Yes I walked it off because it was highly discouraging)

I experimented with some other balls recently. For reference, my driver speed is 110-113 mph. I am generally a higher launch and higher spin player. I found both TP5 and TP5X to spin way too much. TP5 was costing me about 10 yards with the driver and the 5 and the 5X were dropping out of the sky on all irons just like my experience with the new PRO V1X. I tested the Bridgestone Tour BX only, not the BXS, and found the BX to be super firm. I do not think I can handle the ball as I was having a hard time maximizing driver distance. Irons and wedges performed great however. I worry about the BXS being too spinny which is why I haven't tried it yet. I haven't tested any Srixon yet just fyi.

I am wondering what other balls I can try that have roughly the same characteristics of the 2019 Pro V1. I am looking for mid launch, lower spin, feel I am not too concerned with, I never found a huge difference in feel between "hard" or "soft" tour balls. Just my feelings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it isnt your swing? To say a ball alone is costing you 30 yards of distance seems like an exaggeration.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

> @"Go_Blue!" said:

> Are you sure it isnt your swing? To say a ball alone is costing you 30 yards of distance seems like an exaggeration.

That is my fault, I apologize. I did not re read before I posted. The TP5 was 10 yards shorter than the 5X and the Pro V1. I edited my post. I also forgot to mention that the TP5X had same driver distance as the Pro V1, but still had the excess spin issue.

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

Just pick one and go with it. The Nike balls used to work well for me, once they discontinued them I started testing. The Titleist and Bridgestones were great balls, Srixon and Callawya felt/played like junk, but once I noticed that balls played differently in the morning vs afternoon, i just said forget it, just picked Bridgestone because i could get better pricing on them.

Ball testing will drive you crazy.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

According to the My Golf Spy test, the balls that conform best to your description are the Bridgestone BX, BRX, and the Srixon Q Star Tour.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

2019 Tp5x is one of the lowest iron spin balls on the market. I had similar problems as you and this ball solved it. If that doesnt help, you may need to look into an avx or a softer compression ball. I think you may be over analyzing it a bit. Green firmness really contributes alot into how much a ball bites.

ProV1x left dash possibly worth a shot. I used the old ProV1x back years ago until they switched up the ball characteristics in like 2017. Same problem with you just spinning balls back to another continent when using the new ProV1x and had no idea why until I did some research and found Titleist kind of sneakily changed things up. Probably why the left dash exists now and so many have switched to BS and TM balls. I don't get along with TM I just don't like the look or feel but keep testing them out. Use ProV1 right now but wanting something firmer and miss seeing the red number so hoping these left dashes do the trick.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> ProV1x left dash possibly worth a shot. I used the old ProV1x back years ago until they switched up the ball characteristics in like 2017. Same problem with you just spinning balls back to another continent when using the new ProV1x and had no idea why until I did some research and found Titleist kind of sneakily changed things up. Probably why the left dash exists now and so many have switched to BS and TM balls. I don't get along with TM I just don't like the look or feel but keep testing them out. Use ProV1 right now but wanting something firmer and miss seeing the red number so hoping these left dashes do the trick.

I tend to agree with the TM balls. I liked the firmer feel of the 5X but it just flew way too high for me. With regards to BS, have you tried any? I found the BX to be way too low spinning with the driver and I was not getting enough distance at all. I am hesitant to try the BSX although a bunch of guys at my club play them and really like them.

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

> @iceman1118 said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > ProV1x left dash possibly worth a shot. I used the old ProV1x back years ago until they switched up the ball characteristics in like 2017. Same problem with you just spinning balls back to another continent when using the new ProV1x and had no idea why until I did some research and found Titleist kind of sneakily changed things up. Probably why the left dash exists now and so many have switched to BS and TM balls. I don't get along with TM I just don't like the look or feel but keep testing them out. Use ProV1 right now but wanting something firmer and miss seeing the red number so hoping these left dashes do the trick.

>

> I tend to agree with the TM balls. I liked the firmer feel of the 5X but it just flew way too high for me. With regards to BS, have you tried any? I found the BX to be way too low spinning with the driver and I was not getting enough distance at all. I am hesitant to try the BSX although a bunch of guys at my club play them and really like them.

I haven't tried the BS balls out because I don't like the look of the dimples. I'm big on what clubs and balls look like to me and if I don't like the look I won't try it out regardless of it fits me or not.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > @iceman1118 said:

> > > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > > ProV1x left dash possibly worth a shot. I used the old ProV1x back years ago until they switched up the ball characteristics in like 2017. Same problem with you just spinning balls back to another continent when using the new ProV1x and had no idea why until I did some research and found Titleist kind of sneakily changed things up. Probably why the left dash exists now and so many have switched to BS and TM balls. I don't get along with TM I just don't like the look or feel but keep testing them out. Use ProV1 right now but wanting something firmer and miss seeing the red number so hoping these left dashes do the trick.

> >

> > I tend to agree with the TM balls. I liked the firmer feel of the 5X but it just flew way too high for me. With regards to BS, have you tried any? I found the BX to be way too low spinning with the driver and I was not getting enough distance at all. I am hesitant to try the BSX although a bunch of guys at my club play them and really like them.

>

> I haven't tried the BS balls out because I don't like the look of the dimples. I'm big on what clubs and balls look like to me and if I don't like the look I won't try it out regardless of it fits me or not.

Um, okay, I'd stand farther from the ball if focusing on dimple pattern.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

> @iceman1118 said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > ProV1x left dash possibly worth a shot. I used the old ProV1x back years ago until they switched up the ball characteristics in like 2017. Same problem with you just spinning balls back to another continent when using the new ProV1x and had no idea why until I did some research and found Titleist kind of sneakily changed things up. Probably why the left dash exists now and so many have switched to BS and TM balls. I don't get along with TM I just don't like the look or feel but keep testing them out. Use ProV1 right now but wanting something firmer and miss seeing the red number so hoping these left dashes do the trick.

>

> I tend to agree with the TM balls. I liked the firmer feel of the 5X but it just flew way too high for me. With regards to BS, have you tried any? I found the BX to be way too low spinning with the driver and I was not getting enough distance at all. I am hesitant to try the BSX although a bunch of guys at my club play them and really like them.

I haven't tried the new TM balls, but TP5x was my go to ball the past 2 years. Ive rotated between the B X and B XS this year. Ultimately ending up in the B XS. If you're already spinning balls too much then I doubt you'd like the B XS.... On monitors and seeing it on course I've seen the same distance and spin off the driver with BX and B XS. The biggest difference has been under 120 yards where the B XS spins much more.

I have the same driver speed as you so I'm shocked the B X is too firm for you, especially if you're a high spin player already. Maybe try the B RX. Softer compression and lower spinning

But ultimately the best way is try and get time on a monitor and test driver, 7 iron and a wedge. Personally Ive seen all premium balls to be within 300 rpm off the driver so not much difference. Short irons are where the big difference starts to show. During an iron fitting I was curious on balls too. TP5x I knew was too low spinning. my avg 7 iron numbers were 4550 TP5x, 5000 Zstar XV, 5100 B X, and 5550 with B XS. Drivers were all the same.... Ultimately I needed spin and B XS was my match

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x