2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Hank Haney Podcast

puttfordoux

> @00steven said:

> I’ll listen. I like Hank and unlike the moral authority I know I’ve said stupid stuff I regret too and would hope that doesn’t undo everything else I’ve done.

I don’t hold what he said to get himself fired against him forever. My issue is that he simply spins everything he says to serve himself. He should know what he’s talking about. But he just doesn’t. It’s like a less aggravating ( slightly ) Michael Breed.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I maintain that he didn't get fired for the LPGA comments. He got fired for a lot of other comments, including vitriolic attacks on the USGA. His LPGA comments were simply a convenient cause. I won't listen to him, because I don't like that Jim Rome style of commentary offered as entertainment. What he offers as "honesty" is just over-the-top candor. Too many people are copying that type of speech in every day life and creating an ugly and inhospitable world.

> @MountainGoat said:

> I maintain that he didn't get fired for the LPGA comments. He got fired for a lot of other comments, including vitriolic attacks on the USGA. His LPGA comments were simply a convenient cause. I won't listen to him, because I don't like that Jim Rome style of commentary offered as entertainment. What he offers as "honesty" is just over-the-top candor. Too many people are copying that type of speech in every day life and creating an ugly and inhospitable world.

>

Post of the year. Haney pulled no punches when it came to the USGA. He hated that the USGA was too cheap to give a few free tickets to Military guest when a Tour event was being held somewhere.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I listen to Hank still, but the show is worse than before. Too much talk with his producer Minnesota Tim. No, your life is not interesting enough to talk about for 15 minutes on a podcast with Hank.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @MountainGoat said:

> Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how podcasts make money? I'm sure there are advertisers. But, do the distributors (e.g., iTunes, etc.) who make the podcast available for download pay a fee?

>

>

A good friend of mine is a producer and engineer of a couple of pretty big podcasts as well as a couple of his own lesser-known ones.

It's mostly from sponsors.

Podcast audiences - and thus, podcasters - are very valuable to advertisers since they tend to be very specific in topic and have a higher engagement because there's an inherent trust people place in the hosts they enjoy.

There're distribution networks that handle the technical side of things that will charge usage fees and usually has larger deals with advertisers they can filter down to the smaller shows. This is helpful for beginners who may not have the technical know-how to handle the distribution and also probably doesn't have a large enough audience to get sponsors of their own directly.

This is not the same thing as the platform you find them on. A podcast is published by simply uploading an audio file to a CDN and updating an RSS doc; at which point anyone can consume it. I don't think there're any costs incurred in being listed in iTunes. It's seriously no more than search engine.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @aenemated said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how podcasts make money? I'm sure there are advertisers. But, do the distributors (e.g., iTunes, etc.) who make the podcast available for download pay a fee?

> >

> >

>

> A good friend of mine is a producer and engineer of a couple of pretty big podcasts as well as a couple of his own lesser-known ones.

>

> It's mostly from sponsors.

>

> Podcast audiences - and thus, podcasters - are very valuable to advertisers since they tend to be very specific in topic and have a higher engagement because there's an inherent trust people place in the hosts they enjoy.

>

> There're distribution networks that handle the technical side of things that will charge usage fees and usually has larger deals with advertisers they can filter down to the smaller shows. This is helpful for beginners who may not have the technical know-how to handle the distribution and also probably doesn't have a large enough audience to get sponsors of their own directly.

>

> This is not the same thing as the platform you find them on. A podcast is published by simply uploading an audio file to a CDN and updating an RSS doc; at which point anyone can consume it. I don't think there're any costs incurred in being listed in iTunes. It's seriously no more than search engine.

I guess Hank is paying his Voodoo Cream sponsorship to himself.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @aenemated said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how podcasts make money? I'm sure there are advertisers. But, do the distributors (e.g., iTunes, etc.) who make the podcast available for download pay a fee?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > A good friend of mine is a producer and engineer of a couple of pretty big podcasts as well as a couple of his own lesser-known ones.

> >

> > It's mostly from sponsors.

> >

> > Podcast audiences - and thus, podcasters - are very valuable to advertisers since they tend to be very specific in topic and have a higher engagement because there's an inherent trust people place in the hosts they enjoy.

> >

> > There're distribution networks that handle the technical side of things that will charge usage fees and usually has larger deals with advertisers they can filter down to the smaller shows. This is helpful for beginners who may not have the technical know-how to handle the distribution and also probably doesn't have a large enough audience to get sponsors of their own directly.

> >

> > This is not the same thing as the platform you find them on. A podcast is published by simply uploading an audio file to a CDN and updating an RSS doc; at which point anyone can consume it. I don't think there're any costs incurred in being listed in iTunes. It's seriously no more than search engine.

>

> I guess Hank is paying his Voodoo Cream sponsorship to himself.

LOL, when you look in a mirror, Hank thinks you see Hank!

> @MountainGoat said:

> I maintain that he didn't get fired for the LPGA comments. He got fired for a lot of other comments, including vitriolic attacks on the USGA. His LPGA comments were simply a convenient cause. I won't listen to him, because I don't like that Jim Rome style of commentary offered as entertainment. What he offers as "honesty" is just over-the-top candor. Too many people are copying that type of speech in every day life and creating an ugly and inhospitable world.

>

Very well said. What used to be rough edges have been moving to the core of our lives from the media and ourselves. MountainGoat could probably say what I just said much better. :)

> @MountainGoat said:

> Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how podcasts make money? I'm sure there are advertisers. But, do the distributors (e.g., iTunes, etc.) who make the podcast available for download pay a fee?

>

>

Many have advertisers (No Laying Up, Golf WRX). So> @MountainGoat said:

>

According to Hank, Sirius XM wanted him back, but Hank decided to go elsewhere

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Haney's Sirius Radio program was horrible, and harmful to the game of golf.

Michael Breed is the next guy who Sirius should let go, or at least move to a different time slot. Unlike Haney, Breed seems to be a nice guy who means well. But Breed's act is not interesting or informative enough to occupy its prime time time morning slot.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @MountainGoat said:

>

Wow, what a simple, reasonable and accurate post.....BRAVO Sir!

> @Outlier said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > I maintain that he didn't get fired for the LPGA comments. He got fired for a lot of other comments, including vitriolic attacks on the USGA. His LPGA comments were simply a convenient cause. I won't listen to him, because I don't like that Jim Rome style of commentary offered as entertainment. What he offers as "honesty" is just over-the-top candor. Too many people are copying that type of speech in every day life and creating an ugly and inhospitable world.

> >

>

> Wow, what a simple, reasonable and accurate post.....BRAVO Sir!

For the past couple of years, when Haney was ranting about the USGA, I called in and talked to the producer, who agreed with me that it was not "good radio". My sense was that the staff at Sirius was embarrassed to be a part of Hank's show.

I happened to agree that USGA set-ups have been consistently, remarkably terrible for US Open.....HOWEVER, Haney always seemed like "He doth protest too much" about the military perks, bathroom count, free water etc

Almost like a slight bit of dementia was setting in OR he was/is overcompensating for something. Frankly he AND his sidekick STEVE were out over their skis anytime the shows topic went beyond golf swing instruction or peddling swing aids and analgesic cream

> @Fairway14 said:

> Haney's Sirius Radio program was horrible, and harmful to the game of golf.

> Michael Breed is the next guy who Sirius should let go, or at least move to a different time slot. Unlike Haney, Breed seems to be a nice guy who means well. But Breed's act is not interesting or informative enough to occupy its prime time time morning slot.

Breed's plain spoken, extremely unsophisticated "true believer" approach probably goes over well with a certain audience. His disdain for actual science (unless it is labeled Titleist) bothers the heck out of me though. he absolutely crossed the line into "ZEALOT" when his benefactor's balls were embarrassed by Kirkland and MYGOLFSPY's research.

Also on the "should i leave the flag in or take it out?" issue, I found Breed's rhetoric again trying to discredit actual statistically valid science was bordering on moronic. Unfortunately, I am sure he plays well to that certain audience that is all too predisposed to eschew actual facts and science so long as it fits a more "comfortable" agenda. ("there is no such thing as man-made global warming"...."a rocket scientist (Dave Pelz) doesn't know how to do science better than me"....."anything not named titleist is bad for golf"....

> @Outlier said:

> I happened to agree that USGA set-ups have been consistently, remarkably terrible for US Open.....HOWEVER, Haney always seemed like "He doth protest too much" about the military perks, bathroom count, free water etc

>

> Almost like a slight bit of dementia was setting in OR he was/is overcompensating for something. Frankly he AND his sidekick STEVE were out over their skis anytime the shows topic went beyond golf swing instruction or peddling swing aids and analgesic cream

Remember that players have been complaining about US Open course set ups for 50 years. It used to be newspaper reporters would get post round quotes from players. Now with the internet, Golf Channel, Sirius Radio etc...

Players are voicing their complaints on Twitter and Instagram, and blowhards like Haney do it using a microphone. Due to so many more communication outlets, ignorant criticism of the USGA has become prevalent, which is sad.

There never has been anything wrong with one event per year having a course set up where par is considered good and sometimes a winning score. 40 years ago, former USGA President Sandy Tatum answered the critics with a now legendary quote, saying "we're not trying to embarrass the best players in the world, we're trying to identify them".